Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem

Alright so yesterday i bought a greddy turbo timer. I wake up this morning ready to install it. I pull off the steering column, unplug the ignition harness and then (stupid me), figure out i need the harness for the turbo timer. I put everything back together and now my evo beeps when the door is open, not when the lights are on or when the key is in the ignition and the remote to lock and unlock the doors doesn't work. Can someone help me please?
Old May 26, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its your key sense switch. Its very fragile and extremely easy to break. Its a white box with a spring switch. You probably lost the spring and broke a white plastic piece with it. It happened to many of us who took apart the steering column and wasn't careful enough in putting it back together. You can bridge the two connections permenantly and your key fob will start working again and the beep will go away. The only problem with that is your car will no longer beep if you leave the lights on and take the key out the car.

Your second option is to buy a whole new unit from mitsu. You cant buy just the switch but need to buy the whole ignition mechanism.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Its your key sense switch. Its very fragile and extremely easy to break. Its a white box with a spring switch. You probably lost the spring and broke a white plastic piece with it. It happened to many of us who took apart the steering column and wasn't careful enough in putting it back together. You can bridge the two connections permenantly and your key fob will start working again and the beep will go away. The only problem with that is your car will no longer beep if you leave the lights on and take the key out the car.

Your second option is to buy a whole new unit from mitsu. You cant buy just the switch but need to buy the whole ignition mechanism.
Ahhh thank you so much! Thats exactly what happened. That white cover came off and i found the spring on the floor and didn't know where it came from so i put it in my cup holder. Any way i can put that back together since i do have the spring?
Old May 26, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm, havnt ran into this problem yet. is the replacement part pretty cheap?
Old May 26, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Very common issue.

PM RussellM for part pricing.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tenaciousd199
Ahhh thank you so much! Thats exactly what happened. That white cover came off and i found the spring on the floor and didn't know where it came from so i put it in my cup holder. Any way i can put that back together since i do have the spring?
Once its broken its done. You can bridge the connections with the two metal pins in the switch.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:46 AM

Once its broken its done. You can bridge the connections with the two metal pins in the switch.
Pretty sure the previous owner of my car broke this as well. Put it all back together then wrapped it in electrical tape. Not pretty, and its not perfect, but it works....most of the time...
Old May 27, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackOps
Pretty sure the previous owner of my car broke this as well. Put it all back together then wrapped it in electrical tape. Not pretty, and its not perfect, but it works....most of the time...
I tried that as well and it didn't work out so great for me either.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

alright thanks. i'll have to do that soon. i'm sick of that beeping anytime i open my door
Old May 27, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Holy ****! I've had this problem for 1.5 years (bought the car used with the problem) and could never figure out why the brand new key fob I bought and programed wouldn't work!

You guys kick ***!
Old May 27, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by baylorar
Holy ****! I've had this problem for 1.5 years (bought the car used with the problem) and could never figure out why the brand new key fob I bought and programed wouldn't work!

You guys kick ***!
Haha, Im suprised you were able to take it for so long without getting it checked out. I would not be able to live with that for 1.5 years.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, Im suprised you were able to take it for so long without getting it checked out. I would not be able to live with that for 1.5 years.
I actually did, kinda. I bought the key fob, programmed it with shop manual, it didn't work. Took it to a Mitsu dealer here in SD and they f'ed around with the car for 1.5 hours and they hadn't figured it out and wanted $90 to start 'trying to figure out a solution.' From that moment on, I just said screw it!

This thread made my day though, let me tell ya.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by baylorar

You guys kick ***!
haha you're a trooper! i couldn't even last until the end of the day!

can someone explain how i can bridge the connection well? i talked to the shop where i got my car smogged today and they couldn't give me much of an answer because the mechanic said he's only done that with vettes
Old May 28, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tenaciousd199
haha you're a trooper! i couldn't even last until the end of the day!

can someone explain how i can bridge the connection well? i talked to the shop where i got my car smogged today and they couldn't give me much of an answer because the mechanic said he's only done that with vettes
I am an electrical idiot and I haven't looked at my manual yet, but I'd like to know how to bridge it as well. I plan on doing this tonight and don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by baylorar; May 28, 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

I used about a 1 inch wire and crimped on car speaker female spade connectors on each end. I then bridged the two posts on the switch by attaching one spade connector to each post.

Quick Reply: Problem