Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shuld I buy a blown-up EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuld I buy a blown-up EVO?

What's up Guys,

Just to give you a little background on me, I've been in the modification/tunning world for a long time now starting from DSMs moving on to 3S VR4s and some Subaru’s. I worked in a machine shop throughout college and I've rebuild quite few motors for myself and others. I am very familiar with tuning engines using various piggybacks and openport ECUs. So i'm not so much of a noob .

Getting to the point, I've been looking to get an evo for a long time now but the price was (at least to me) way out of range for what it is. So i always ended up getting another 3000GT VR4 (the sexy *****) :P... So it's time to move on now and get something different.

I've been looking to get an EVO with a blown motor so I could rebuild the engine myself and have a piece of mind that it's done right and start fresh with a new engine and keep the general cost of the car down. I know there are risks associated with buying a blown car, like other bad parts (ie. tranny) and other stuff that u can't tell from not driving it.

Now how much should I expect to pay for an 04/05 evo in good cosmetic condition with a blow motor and moderate mileage, assuming everything else is fine? I haven't see many blown EVOs for sale therefore I don't have much to compare to. Also if you guys know of any, let me know .

Discuss...

-Tom
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have my finger on the pulse of the used evo market, but I could say this;
If it really is just the motor, look for evos of the same year, similar milage, similar condition, and knock off about $6 to $7 grand. KBB is not a bad place to start. That should give you a good cushion for parts, labor, and hopefully not too much else wrong with the car.
Yea, you do your own work and it won't cost you that, but the seller does not know that and I doubt people are lining up at his door with offers. Who knows, you might be able to knock off up to $8K off the price.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Could be a fun project, just expect the worst and you can't be let down. Plus if you get a good enough price and do all the work yourself you should be good to go, for a reasonable price.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

There was one on ebay in the Chicago area I believe. It was a 03 with a bad motor. It was running but had a rod knock.

I think he wanted 11k for it still, which seemed pretty high to me.

+1 on a fun project though
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure you know some of the history of the car, particularly the transmission and T-case. Those can be beat to death and cost you thousands to repair/replace if they are messed up along with the motor. Otherwise, always a fun project
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

not worth it. you can get an 03 with 70k for almost 13k. or save your $ and get a nice 06/.ix is worth it.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

research what youre getting yourself into it before you jump into it. i have no problem buying a blown evo as a project car.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:18 PM

I have no problems rebuilding these engines... MUCH easier than the 6G72 :P... I'll look around for one i just wanted to see what imput people have aboutthis on here. I know people beat the crap out of these cars so the tranny and the t-case maight be a problem...
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Good body interior condition... I would pay $10k
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
People have gotten EVOs for as low as 8K in running condition.

I got my 04 RS for 10.5K. TBE, F&R BBKs, etc.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have been researching this same thing for the past year or so and ended up buying a running one that i checked out. If you want to do this i would say dont pay much more than 8-10k that is what i found. Just depends on the person who is selling, and you can probably get them to drop some off what ever the price is too. Make sure the tranny is good and the back round history as well.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:56 AM

if it in good body condition, whos selling it, what they have in the engine, etc. if its stock n looks goood, yeha 8k.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:16 PM

how much trannies and t-cases go for these cars?...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:35 PM

Wish I could've found a blown up Evo, 2.3 stroker plus is doesn't hurt knowing people that run a DSM shop and also one John Shepard........
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

I picked up my '03 with 71k on it last August for $9k, it had about $5k+ in mods done (full exhaust, clutch/FW, pump, cams, brake/clutch lines, IC/inlet pipes...) and a blown bottom end. I picked up a mint '05 engine complete for $2500, and sold off everything I didn't need (turbo/mani, TB, intake mani, coils...) for like $1k. The car came with an IX turbo, which I sent out to be converted to a BBK Lite while I was rebuilding it. So for around $12k, I've got a real nice 400whp pump gas setup. Not to mention I learned alot about the cars and how they compare to DSMs to work on.

Quick Reply: Shuld I buy a blown-up EVO?