Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Timing & Balance Shaft Belt Changed @ ~16,800. Is the 60k Service Required?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing & Balance Shaft Belt Changed @ ~16,800. Is the 60k Service Required?

Hey guys!

I bought my car from one of my best friends with ~22,000 miles on the car back in June 2008. The car is my daily driven warrior and now has ~56,000 miles on her. I was thinking about my 60k service recently and that I needed it performed but remembered something from when my friend owned the car.

When he owned the car he had the notorious noise(s) coming from the timing belt area and so he took it in to the dealer to get it take care of. I found the work order/reciept from the dealer still in the glove box and it looks like he had the Timing Belt, Balance Shaft Belt, and 2 Timing Belt Pulleys changed. I'm assuming the 2 pulleys were the Timing Belt Idler Pulley and the Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley. The work order states the car had ~16,800 miles when the work was done.

From what I understand the 60k service includes the following parts:
Evolution VIII Gold Service Kit (I'm assuming this applies to the IX as well)
-Water Pump
-Balance Belt Tensioner
-Balance Belt
-Timing Belt
-Timing Belt Tensioner
-Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
-Timing Belt Idler Pulley
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-Serpentine Belt (w/AC)
-In-Cabin Filter (AC Filter)
-Oil Filter
-Oil Drain Plug Gasket
-Thermostat Kit

Now, I don't know how many of these things prove to be absolutely vital for change at 60k other then the Timing Belt, Balance Shaft Belt. However, outside these things there are always items that people feel are absolutely necessary for change at this point.

Since I had the 2 main components changed at ~16,800 miles, I have until ~76,800 miles to worry about the Timing Belt and Balance Shaft belt again, as well as the 2 timing belt pulleys.

Should I be worrying about anything else? Please advise!

Thanks for all your input.

-Jalal

Last edited by MJ23FE; Jan 25, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Hey Jalal,

I'm sure you could stretch it out to 80k and just do everything. But if it were my car I would just do it all when you can.

Im sure the belts will be fine but the Hydrilic Tensioners do go bad in many car platforms and have been proven to be a critical replacement item at timing service intervals.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I would not worry about it until 76,800 since there is proof that the timing belt was changed at 16,800. The only thing I would worry about would be the water pump going out, it's really up to you if you want to change it, I wouldn't lose sleep if it wasn't changed till 76,800 I'd bet you'd be safe until 76,800. with the way things are.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:04 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water pump, serpentine, and plugs. Doesn't seem like the water pump was changed, so I would recommend getting that done...but you might as well change the timing belt since you're in there. However, I didn't do my first service until it hit 80k...believe it or not. You might be ok waiting until 76k to do everything then if you're comfortable waiting.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I would worry more about the Hydrolic Tensioner rather then the water pump. Whenever you do it buddy just be sure to do it all
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
If its all been done at 15k, I'd just put it off till 70 or 75k, no harm in that. Some people skip doing the water pump, pulleys, and tensioners if they do the service right at or before 60k, but doing it later might make it worth being sure to do the water pump while you're in there.

I'd be sure to do everything else on that list though, spark plugs, air (cabin) filter...skip the thermostat until you do the water pump...I didn't realize that was on that 60k maint list to be honest but its worth doing if you plan on keeping the car well into 100k+ miles.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, Chris.

Are there any other opinions out there as well?

-Jalal
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If it were me, I'd take the receipt to the dealership and confirm what parts were replaced. I'd also inquire as to what problem they were fixing. It doesn't hurt to know exactly what was being done.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If it were me, I'd take the receipt to the dealership and confirm what parts were replaced. I'd also inquire as to what problem they were fixing. It doesn't hurt to know exactly what was being done.
There was nothing wrong with the car. I was there when my buddy took the car in. He had those items change because they couldn't locate the sound coming from the timing belt cover area. Wanting to cover the main culprits, he had the timing belt, related pulleys and the balance belt changed.

I suffer from the same sounds many other are experiencing today. Crankshaft position sensing blade.

-Jalal
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayu_trance
Whats the price range for this service at a Mitsubishi dealer?? Thanks
About a G give or take. F that
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

I just did my 60k service. I did everything on that list plus a coolant flush and changed all the drivetrain fluids.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
I just did my 60k service. I did everything on that list plus a coolant flush and changed all the drivetrain fluids.
Who did you take it to? How much did everything cost including labor?

-Jalal
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else?

-Jalal
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Hey buddy, if you are worry about it, why not just do the 60K service at 60K so you know for sure it's done. I did mine at about 48K because my belt was loose due to Cam Gear coming loose. I didn't take it to any dealer or shop. I read the HOW-TO on timing belt a couple times and than order some special tools to get the job done. It's going to cost close to the 700 mark if you buy some tools but hey, at least you will have the tools when you need to do it at the 120K.

I bet GgreyEVOIX is going to say he did it himself too. It's not that bad. Just take some time. Hope you have a two day weekend to work on it and all the tools required. As long as you have a second car in case you can't drive yours, you should be fine.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey bro I would do it at 80K The biggest worry would be the Water pump and Hydrolic Tensioner Like Mentioned. My GF did her 60k at Racing Results and another friend of mine Vic including the labor alone was $600 If i remeber correctly. I hope this helps once you get the 60k service car runs very smooth unless you take out the balance shafts.

Quick Reply: Timing & Balance Shaft Belt Changed @ ~16,800. Is the 60k Service Required?