Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some bright thinkers!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some bright thinkers!

I thought my lug nut was stripped because I went to take it off and it just kept spinning. I came to find out it is the wheel stud and not the lug nut. It is not stripped it spins in the back behind the wheel hub. My problem is that I can not get it off. I tried hitting it in but it sits flush already I think the teeth of the wheel stud are stripped (hopefully not the hub). I also can get hand held vice grip on but the stud still spins when because they can get a good enough grip. I need some new ideas on how to get it off. I have about an inch or two of room to get to the back of the wheel stud. I am so frustrated I just want to get it off. I will probably take it to a mechanic tomorrow to see what they say.

Cliffs: Wheels stud spins can's get it off.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the stud spin when the wheel is on the gound, bearing the car's full weight? If you can get the weight of the car on this troublesome stud it may not be able to spin anymore..
Old May 9, 2011, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just cut the wheel stud off and replace it. No use trying to seperate the two when they are most likely toast. Even if you have to remove hub with wheel attached. Try Yoqsaahoth's way first though, make sure the other lugs are properly tightened onto wheel before trying.

Last edited by MrDgaf; May 9, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Simpler solution
Old May 9, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I will try with the wheel on the ground and how can I cut the stud I can't get the wheel off there is no way to cut it.

Edit still spins on the ground

Last edited by mullski; May 9, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately I believe your going to have to purchase a new hub assembly. There is just no way to get behind the hub to even be able to replace the stud if you did get it out.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:08 PM

If you have a welder you could put a couple tack welds on it to keep it from spinning
Old May 9, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Could you drill out the nut, remove the other nuts and take the wheel off? Then you can see what's the next step.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have a welder and how hard would drilling it be the wheel stud has to be pretty hard steel.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

It is hard steel, but you just need to get the nut off, that's softer. It's not going to be easy but might save you a hub replacement...
Old May 9, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Drilling it off may be your only bet (without ruining other parts).

It's going to suck, bad, lol. You only have to drill as far as the lug nut though. Make sure you get a good center-punch hole before you drill, and then start small, and work your way larger. Eventually, you'll drill through the threads holding the lug nut on, and it will come right off. With that done, you can work on replacing the stud, or the hub, depending on what stripped where.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

If you are going to go the cut route and have someone good or trust worthy, plasma cutter will get it right out.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Chances are you will never need to replace the stud. So, weld it in place from the back and done.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Unfortunately I believe your going to have to purchase a new hub assembly. There is just no way to get behind the hub to even be able to replace the stud if you did get it out.
dont give false info...yes you can replace the studs without removing the hub. once you finally get the wheel off and tap the stud loose, spin the hub until you find the spot that has enough room to pull it out. it will not come straight out but on an angle for sure. i dont remember where the sweet spot was since it was a few years ago i changed them, but i think it was when the stud you wish to remove was somewhere around 6 o'clock.

now secondly im not sure if i understand you. the stud itself is spinning freely in the hub or the nut is spinning freely on the stud?
Old May 9, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have replaced a stud before it is probably the one that is giving me trouble. The stud is spinning freely in the hub the lug nut wont spin I need it to to get it off.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ur using a impact right? Well lift the car into the air. Then remove the 4 good lugs. Then tilt the wheel. Like put it into a angle so it puts pressure on the stud, Then crack that Impact gun up and git r done. Not a guaranteed ting but try.

Quick Reply: Need some bright thinkers!