Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 Brakes problem

my brake pedal on the evo gets soft after about 15 seconds of bleeding the brakes,when you bleed them it stays hard but afer waiting couple seconds they go back to being soft,bled all the brakes , no leaks ,bleed from the furthest the closest can it be the master cylinder having air and i need the bleed the masterm or could it be bad? my car has 15,000 miles on it but has sat for 3 years
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do You bleed the brake with the bleed machine or with another guy that open end closed?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:46 PM

2 people one pumps other opens bleeder
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:04 PM

you might just have alot of air in the system. are you bleeding both sides of the caliper?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like you still might have air..pump slow and make sure to hold the pedal when closing the lines. its easy to get air in if this is your 1st time doing brembo's
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 AM

Unhappy

first time changing my pads the other day i was thinkin bout bleeding lines. now im a little scared to.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Air in system still.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:49 AM

Which brake oil you use?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rawspecs7
first time changing my pads the other day i was thinkin bout bleeding lines. now im a little scared to.
Start out with a full master cylinder and keep adding fluid to keep it full. Check the level often.

The procedure requires two people, one person to stroke the brake pedal and one to open and close the bleeder. The person at the wheel says, "pedal down" and then opens the bleeder. When the flow stops, close the bleeder and then say "pedal up". This way no air enters the system.

There are several ways to get into trouble here. Allowing the master cylinder to run dry is the most common. Also, there is allowing a lot of air to enter while changing brakes hoses and when doing major work on the system. Air in the master cylinder or ABS can be difficult to remove. Bleeding at the wheel following the procedure above should present no problem.

Be careful with the bleeders. They are threaded into aluminum and the threads like to strip.

When done bleeding hose off the calipers thoroughly or watch the paint disappear. Brake fluid is a great paint remover.

Last edited by barneyb; Aug 11, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Start out with a full master cylinder and keep adding fluid to keep it full. Check the level often.

The procedure requires two people, one person to stroke the brake pedal and one to open and close the bleeder. The person at the wheel says, "pedal down" and then opens the bleeder. When the flow stops, close the bleeder and then say "pedal up". This way no air enters the system.

There are several ways to get into trouble here. Allowing the master cylinder to run dry is the most common. Also, there is allowing a lot of air to enter while changing brakes hoses and when doing major work on the system. Air in the master cylinder or ABS can be difficult to remove. Bleeding at the wheel following the procedure above should present no problem.

Be careful with the bleeders. They are threaded into aluminum and the threads like to strip.

When done bleeding hose off the calipers thoroughly or watch the paint disappear. Brake fluid is a great paint remover.
Make sure one of you watches the cylinder and makes sure it never runs dry. The two man method works really well as long as the cylinder isn't neglected.

Originally Posted by phoreal
you might just have alot of air in the system. are you bleeding both sides of the caliper?
This. Most people neglect both sides.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:23 AM

thats what i exactly did never had problem with my other evo when i bleed the brakes, also i drove the car today and i got to pump it up 3 times to get hard so i can stop the car but then 15 sec later pedal goes to floor again, i flushed the lines too
Old Aug 25, 2016, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by vipevo9
thats what i exactly did never had problem with my other evo when i bleed the brakes, also i drove the car today and i got to pump it up 3 times to get hard so i can stop the car but then 15 sec later pedal goes to floor again, i flushed the lines too
not sure if this was ever addressed, but sounds like master cylinder to me
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:36 PM

What kyoo said