Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Engine Pics needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Engine Pics needed

I'm looking for pictures of the rear of the engine (back side of intake manifold)
i'm doing a evo 8 head swap in my '02 eclipse and i'm confused on where the coolant lines/hoses go now, since the evo 8 doesn't have it's rear water pipe connected to the intake mani like the 3g.

i've searched around on the internet (google images, yahoo images, bing, etc)
also on other forums and i can't find anything specific like what i'm looking for SO...

if anyone is kind enough to take some pictures of the coolant hoses coming out of the firewall where they come out, to the intake and back side of engine, where they connect, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might also want to look for the service manual as a .pdf It has a ton of information and would probably show exactly what you are looking for
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:20 AM

yeah Mitsu wants like 250+tax
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:00 AM

the hose connections you are looking for are off the thermostat housing.

edit: this is similiar
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=361240

Last edited by MrSquirr3l; Nov 26, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:21 AM

Thanks for trying to help, but i understand where the hoses go between the intake manifold and thermostat housing, i'm trying to figure out where the hoses coming out of my firewall connect to now since it's a bit different set up w/ the evo 8 head!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

the hose for the heater core? thats the hoses ur talking about?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:41 PM

He is doing a dohc swap on a 3g eclipse he needs to know which hoses on the eclipse goes to which spot for the coolant hook ups.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:48 PM

Ace79603 look him up and pm him I'm pretty sure he owned a 3g with the dohc swap he may remember how they go.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by evo8912
Ace79603 look him up and pm him I'm pretty sure he owned a 3g with the dohc swap he may remember how they go.
Thanks for the info,
I just don't feel like spending $300 on a damn service manual for a evo8, i don't even have one for my eclipse.

I've also been curious what the valve lift is for the evo 8 vs the 3g 2.4 eclipse.
(as in with the evo 8 head swap, will my valves open and slam right into my pistons, or is there no difference between the evo 8 and 4g64 when it comes to that?)

Does the head swap change the compression ratio, i'm buying Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons standard bore, so i can run higher boost; wanting around 550-600whp, i'm starting to wonder if i should buy 8.5:1 or 8.8:1, or does it even really matter as long as i keep it under 9:1?

(before anyone replies "USE THE SEARCH" i'd like to add i have and i only find dumb @#$% people who can't even figure out the factory 2.4l eclipse compression ratio so i wouldn't trust a word they say regardless!)

example: last thread i read on this subject the guy tried saying that the evo 8 head swap with the 4g64 block gives you a 10.2:1 compression ratio, that's way wrong, in the same post he stated the factory 3g eclipse compression ratio is 9.5:1 last i checked it is and has always been 9:1 for the 4g64.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:37 AM

i have done this swap. since i own a 2003 gs i actually just completed it last month, granted i did not use a evo head but it should be similar. i did not go turbo though. from 1upmotos diagrams it is connection 11 and 16. it does not really matter which hoses go where since the heater core is not a single direction flow. hope that is what you were looking for. i misinterpreted what hose connections you were looking for. my bad. another way for you to get some answers is to take pics of what you are wanting to know where it goes. for me to get you pictures of what you want i have to remove my intake and my battery. IMO its not worth the effort just from some pics.

Last edited by MrSquirr3l; Nov 28, 2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrSquirr3l
i have done this swap. since i own a 2003 gs i actually just completed it last month, granted i did not use a evo head but it should be similar. i did not go turbo though. from 1upmotos diagrams it is connection 11 and 16. it does not really matter which hoses go where since the heater core is not a single direction flow. hope that is what you were looking for. i misinterpreted what hose connections you were looking for. my bad. another way for you to get some answers is to take pics of what you are wanting to know where it goes. for me to get you pictures of what you want i have to remove my intake and my battery. IMO its not worth the effort just from some pics.
yeah i understand but thank you. i'll post some pictures here in a day or two about what i'm talking about. but no it's not just the heater core hoses, it's ALL the coolant lines coming out of the firewall, i have no idea where they go now since the evo 8 head differs from the factory sohc.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4g64t_dohc
yeah i understand but thank you. i'll post some pictures here in a day or two about what i'm talking about. but no it's not just the heater core hoses, it's ALL the coolant lines coming out of the firewall, i have no idea where they go now since the evo 8 head differs from the factory sohc.
well there is only two coolant lines(heater), one fuel supply, one EGR Evap. then your power steering also comes from back there. that is all that comes from the firewall to the engine. i guess you can count the grounding strap that goes from your intake manifold to the firewall also.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:29 PM

sorry for the double post but i figured i would give you this link.

http://www.socal3g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24809

lame i guess i cant share it. they made it no open to the public. i would make a thread about it here but its kinda useless since evo's dont have to do the swap.

Last edited by MrSquirr3l; Nov 28, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by MrSquirr3l
sorry for the double post but i figured i would give you this link.

http://www.socal3g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24809

lame i guess i cant share it. they made it no open to the public. i would make a thread about it here but its kinda useless since evo's dont have to do the swap.

alright thanks you for the link, this is very helpful along with your total obvious answer above this last posting of yours (not being rude, sort of insulting myself)

so here goes, i haven't been at my shop around my car for a while so i forgot exactly what hoses were on the firewall but now that you've mentioned the egr and the fuel lines... lol.. it's like OHHH i remember now, so yes there are 5 total "hose" lines, 2 being from the heater core, which i DO need to know which one goes where because i know it does matter, the 3rd is the EGR/vacum line, the 4th is the fuel line TO the intake and the 5th is the return fuel line, so i have no idea why i was asking this now, i guess what i've been wondering is the hoses attatched to the Intake manifold, where on the head do they go? wouldn't they just attach to the thermostat housing? ima dumbass sometimes

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Engine Pics needed