Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blown Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Head gasket?

Hi my issue here is that I was driving today and when I park by the car wash I notice that there was a coolant I the parking coming out of my evo 8. I open the hood and notice that it was coming out of the coolant reservoir tank not the radiator. I let it cool dow for a while then when I went to open up the the radiator I notice that all the coolant from reservoir tank went back to the radiator and it was at the full level mark never open the raidator to check cuz it was still hot. I wasnt boosting before happen or after I was using the AC. I did drive 220 miles yesterday roundtrip it never overheat the temp gauge was at normal operating level the all time. Do you guys think this is a blown head gascket?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for oil in the overflow or radiator. Check for water mixture on dipstick.

Sounds like you might be okay.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loco21
Hi my issue here is that I was driving today and when I park by the car wash I notice that there was a coolant I the parking coming out of my evo 8. I open the hood and notice that it was coming out of the coolant reservoir tank not the radiator. I let it cool dow for a while then when I went to open up the the radiator I notice that all the coolant from reservoir tank went back to the radiator and it was at the full level mark never open the raidator to check cuz it was still hot. I wasnt boosting before happen or after I was using the AC. I did drive 220 miles yesterday roundtrip it never overheat the temp gauge was at normal operating level the all time. Do you guys think this is a blown head gascket?
if u had a blown head-gasket. you car would mostly be smoking out the tail pipe and be burning coolant causing it to over heat.

so id say ur head gasket is not blown
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

You over filled your coolant reservior.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:49 PM

If it was spewing out ur reservoir ld check to see if ur thermostat is stuck open.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Pushing antifreeze is the most common symptom of a blown HG. Still, I'd make sure the fans are working, the radiator is full and maybe swap in a new thermostat. If none of that does any good then - HG.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
how much your boosting ?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:04 PM

Agreed. Start with the easy stuff, keep an eye on it, etc.

Headgasket failures are tricky things, I've never seen any 2 HG failures manifest themselves in the exact same way. Sometimes its smoke out the tail pipe, sometimes its coolant just disappearing, and sometimes your car overheats - which usually inevitably will happen if you let for it to get bad enough.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:20 PM

I'm running 20psi of booost. I'll buy the thermostat tomorrow and putting in. So far it haven't done it again. I will be monitoring everything. I will keep you guys post. Hopefully is the thermostat.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:23 PM

Any updates?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also a good practice would be when you do have head gasket replaced use ARP head studs to help hold the pressure, when mine blew it was because the bolts had stretched out, my car did over heat but the head was blown/leaking when I got it. Same problem with the reservoir it over filled then went back into the radiator. Sounds like a blown head gasket that is just starting out, it is possible that its the Thermostat but with 20psi of boost and if your running stock head studs, thats a good indication that its starting to leak and will blow sometime in the near future. Some shops will say your over boosting your engine but truth is your just not holding the engine together well enough .
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

I just had the same thing happen to me, turn your car on and leave it runing for 5 mins and check if you have any oil leaks around your head make sure you watch you temp. My anti freeze and oil mixed together and the over flow bucket was leaking thank god otherwise i would of messed up my car if it didnt leak... i am pretty sure you have a blown head gasket... i was on highway and my blew up first the antifreeze was all over the engine, then after 100 miles of driving i saw oil leaking and poped the engine and all the oil and antifreeze were mixed up... if i were you dont drive the car take it to get fixed.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:36 PM

Call the dealership but they don't have thermostat on stock. I have been monitoring the car over the weekend everything looks ok so far. I don't see any leaks, no mix on the radiator or engine of oil and coolant. Is not overheating at all. It haven't done it again. I still going to change the thermostat. I notice that the temp. gauge sometimes is lower than it suppose to so I think is thermostat going bad. Thanks for your comments!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:47 PM

Get a coolant system pressure tester and pressurize the system to see if there are any leaks in and around the head gasket area!

-nick
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Loko21, how did you make out with the car?

Quick Reply: Blown Head gasket?