Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"clunk" sound when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd.. What can this be??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"clunk" sound when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd.. What can this be??

The car is and Evo 9 MR (6 speed) and when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it feels like something is in the way and when I shift through that it makes a clunk sound.. Doesn't do that with other shifts. Just from first to second. What can this be? I've read that it sometimes does that when the car is cold but when it's pretty warmed up it still does that.. Is this normal? Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine does most of times, i give a 1 or 2 sec before i put in seconds. Some says shifter bushing helps or motor mounts also might help.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1. What do you mean "pretty warmed up"? Does it do it all the time, or only when its cold?
2. Have you taken your console out and looked at the linkages?
3. Are you using factory stuff for that area? Like bushings etc?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
1. What do you mean "pretty warmed up"? Does it do it all the time, or only when its cold?
2. Have you taken your console out and looked at the linkages?
3. Are you using factory stuff for that area? Like bushings etc?

I haven't looked at the linkages and everything is from factory. Even if the car is warmed up ( that gauge that shows the C on bottom and H on top, the arrow is around half way up). I let it idle and warm up and drive it around and it continued to do that... I'm just afraid that something might be wrong or is this normal? It's just the gear change to 2ns gear to 1st. Other gears work great.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IX_MR
I'm just afraid that something might be wrong or is this normal? It's just the gear change to 2ns gear to 1st. Other gears work great.
Give us more explain what " cluck " means. I understood as " notchy ".
Honestly, noone really can gives you an answer that is normal or not. You just gotta guess.

If you worry, try take it to local EVO shop and ask them to look at it for you. I've been read many EVO 9 6spd owners complain about their shifting isn't smooth as 5spd. And yes, my 6spds isn't smooth as my buddy's 5spds.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Even if the car is warmed up ( that gauge that shows the C on bottom and H on top, the arrow is around half way up). I let it idle and warm up and drive it around and it continued to do that...
The car isn't warm until the oil is up to temp. That takes 5-15 minutes longer than the water temp (ie. the gauge you cite).
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chef-j
Give us more explain what " cluck " means. I understood as " notchy ".
Honestly, noone really can gives you an answer that is normal or not. You just gotta guess.

If you worry, try take it to local EVO shop and ask them to look at it for you. I've been read many EVO 9 6spd owners complain about their shifting isn't smooth as 5spd. And yes, my 6spds isn't smooth as my buddy's 5spds.
Ya it is notchy... It feels like something is in the way and I have to use more force to shift into 2nd gear.... And because of this, the car jerks.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The car isn't warm until the oil is up to temp. That takes 5-15 minutes longer than the water temp (ie. the gauge you cite).
Im pretty sure it was warmed up. Even fans were turning on and off already... (ac and everything was off)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
my 5-speed does this as well, sometimes it's like it'll lock me out of second (no grinding, just locks me out) and that's at low >3k rpm. does it cold and warm
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
my 5-speed does this as well, sometimes it's like it'll lock me out of second (no grinding, just locks me out) and that's at low >3k rpm. does it cold and warm
What do you mean by "it locks me out"? Do you mean that it just won't let you get into the gear? If yes then that is similar to what it does to me... I gotta "fight" through that to get into 2nd gear. It's also at around >3k rpm. So I'm assuming it's normal??
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
my old ix would do that only when cold, would have to jam that thing into gear pretty much
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOn9ne
my old ix would do that only when cold, would have to jam that thing into gear pretty much
How long approximately did it have to idle or drive for it to "warm up"?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 5spd does this all the time going into 3rd, i blame the shifter bushing.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im pretty sure it was warmed up. Even fans were turning on and off already... (ac and everything was off)
The fan cools the (err...) coolant passing through the radiator. It has have no effect on whether the transmission is up to temp or not.

How long approximately did it have to idle or drive for it to "warm up"?
As I told you in the post to which you responded above, 5-15 minutes after the water is up to temp, depending.

Last edited by FJF; Apr 7, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
As I told you in the post to which you responded above, 5-15 minutes after the water is up to temp, depending.
To expand on this, your transmission doesn't warm up at all if you're not moving, so that's 5-15 minutes of driving, not idling

Quick Reply: "clunk" sound when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd.. What can this be??