Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do i need to resurface my stock flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do i need to resurface my stock flywheel?

Like the title says... Im changing my clutch, my evo currently has 49k miles and its recommended to change the flywheel? or buy a new one like a act street flywheel? Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Some clutches have to have the special included flywheel. To have a clutch work right you need a perfectly flat flywheel and some people always have it machined. Some people don't want to spend the money and just slap in a new disc if the pressure plate looks okay. Some people want lighter flywheels. So it goes on and on. It depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend and what you are willing to accept.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you wanted to go aftermarket I recommend a comp clutch flywheel.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Comps flywheels are almost too light and the act streetlite flywheel has about the best all around driving/racing feel. And if youre considering an aftermarket one you have the money to resurface your stocker. So if you stick with your stocker without a doubt get it machined. Do things right the first time not all over again in a few months.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:29 AM

Arrow

It's not going to matter, a stage 5 clutch is such a huge overkill that after driving for a week you will be pulling it out and replacing it anyway. WTF were you thinking, that motor has no where near the horse power for a clutch like that and all you will get is a cramped leg from shifting.
The following users liked this post:
RussianEVO (Jun 11, 2019)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
When i did my clutch the first time i had it resurfaced, went on to last another 80k miles before i installed the third clutch and at that point changed the flywheel. If you dont have some specific reason for changing the flywheel I would say resurface it. Technically you are "reducing" weight from a resurface lol...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting read I've always wondered myself since I'm on stock clutch and flywheel
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:54 PM
chu
Evolved Member

You can resurface or buy a new flywheel, its all preference. The important point is that the flywheel surface is clean and smooth for the new clutch. Depending on your buget and needs, resurfacing is a cheap alternative and works great.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally haven't bothered buying a lightweight flywheel, for me it was much cheaper to resurface it. I find shops usually charge $60 or less, I got mine done for only $20, figured I'd put the extra day in of work to the entire job in order to make sure it was done right.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had considered getting a lightweight flywheel when I swapped to my ACT 6 puck,

but after ready many negative reviews on lightweight flywheels, I had it resurfaced!

Took it to the machine shop, 2 hours and 45 bucks later I was very happy
The following users liked this post:
RussianEVO (Jun 11, 2019)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
Comps flywheels are almost too light and the act streetlite flywheel has about the best all around driving/racing feel. And if youre considering an aftermarket one you have the money to resurface your stocker. So if you stick with your stocker without a doubt get it machined. Do things right the first time not all over again in a few months.

I will have to dig up the numbers from when I weighed mine, but it wasn't as light as others out there. No issues with it so far for dd actually, driving feel is pretty close as stock to me actually.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah for sure man let us know, does comp have two flywheels? I thought they had only 1?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
yeah for sure man let us know, does comp have two flywheels? I thought they had only 1?

Here is my comp clutch steel flywheel

I couldn't recall the exact numbers, but iirc the oem evo 8 flywheel I had was like 13.5-14 lbs and this one was around 11.6 lbs

here is a pic of another comp flywheel that maybe you folks were thinking about.

http://www.maperformance.com/competi...evo-7-8-9.html

that's their super light, different than mine. I agree this one may be too light for a daily driver.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

ok so I just wanted to update after putting more miles and doing more driving on my lighter weight comp clutch flywheel vs. oem. In slow speed parking lots,speed bumps, and stop and go traffic, it does suck worse than the oem. Even though mine isn't the extremely lightweight one, it does feel a difference in these situations. I haven't raced to feel any difference, but quite a few other things changed so I likely wont be able to get a fair review for that anyhow.

I retract my statement and will agree to either resurface your stock flywheel, or purchase a new oem unit ONLY. I think next time I do the clutch I may actually just swap it out for an oem unit unless this thing somehow magically impresses on the track.

Keep in mind, Im not saying its horrible, its just that Im really picky in what Im looking for. For some folks they probably wouldn't even notice too much of a difference.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will always resurface it whenever I'm putting a new clutch in. It's about $50 and worth it, I'm not sure about you but I would be upset if I had to drop EVERYTHING again just to replace the flywheel.

Or just get a new one/lightweight one.

Quick Reply: Do i need to resurface my stock flywheel?