Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wheel bearings need changing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearings need changing

I have to change out all my bearing, are they pressed in and id need to buy all new hubs or can i change just the bearing? TIA
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
There are four bolts in the back of the hub. You will need to uninstall the axle. Then back out those bolts. That will move out the hub bearing from the hub assembly. No need to get a new hub assembly.

Last edited by deylag; Jun 30, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can change out just the bearings without needing to replace the hub assembly. Bearings sold separately and they are not pressed in....just unbolt and swap them out.

I was able to replace both front bearings without having to remove the axles.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
You can change out just the bearings without needing to replace the hub assembly. Bearings sold separately and they are not pressed in....just unbolt and swap them out.

I was able to replace both front bearings without having to remove the axles.
That's Wasup for sure.can you pls tell us how did you do it?rockauto sells bearings for $24 but my mechanic told me get whole assembly with studs cause pressing out old one and pressing new one in is suicide and not cost effective.thanks bro.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by egis
That's Wasup for sure.can you pls tell us how did you do it?rockauto sells bearings for $24 but my mechanic told me get whole assembly with studs cause pressing out old one and pressing new one in is suicide and not cost effective.thanks bro.
Just unbolt the hub like your gonna remove the axle, fold the hub over and push the axle out (might need a punch and mallet) but you can leave the other side of the axle in the transmission.

Once the axle is pulled out of the hub you will have easy access to the 4 bolts that remove the wheel bearing. You can back all 4 bolts out but leave threaded in half way, then take a 14mm socket you don't really care for and put it on the head of the bolt. (some people just hit the head of the bolt) Then take your mallet and lightly tap the socket driving the bolt down and ultimately pushing the wheel bearing out. Do top right, then bottom left, then top left and bottom right, always in x pattern so it slides out evenly.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bearing comes already pressed in and the hub flange pressed in as well along with new studs. Its not one of these where you can actually swap out just the bearing.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Alright guys,thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 05:48 AM

hub

Just replace the hub.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:20 PM

I think you guys were confusing the hub with the knuckle.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heyythurr
I have to change out all my bearing, are they pressed in and id need to buy all new hubs or can i change just the bearing? TIA
Why do you believe you need to replace all your bearings?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
Why do you believe you need to replace all your bearings?

the guy who changed my clutch a little while back said they were bad and needed to be changed. I figured the front ones right? not too sure tho and i keep forgetting to ask.I just recently took this evo since my husband got a new one. The steering wheel shakes when i get up to speeds over 50mph. SO now im thinking it could be the bearings, but could also just be needing an alignment, oorrrrrrrr maybe the tie rods? not too sure really. a friend and I are going to jack up the front end soon when the weather gets better and see whats going on. I just wanted to order the parts so i could do it all at once and i know some places take forever to ship.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

dont change it yet.wheel vibration is not your bearings.bad bearings make noise on turns.jack up your car,spin the wheel by hand listen for grinding noise.or rock your wheel left and right see if it has play.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 08:55 AM

dont change it yet.wheel vibration is not your bearings.bad bearings make noise on turns.jack up your car,spin the wheel by hand listen for grinding noise.or rock your wheel left and right see if it has play.

yea thats what i was told also, I've been driving the car for a few weeks and do not hear anything like that so Im not sure if they were looking like they were about to go bad and since he was changing the clutch and had everything off, wanted to knock it all out at once, but i don't hear anything except squeaky brakes here and there. thanks for the input!!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heyythurr
the guy who changed my clutch a little while back said they were bad and needed to be changed. I figured the front ones right? not too sure tho and i keep forgetting to ask.I just recently took this evo since my husband got a new one. The steering wheel shakes when i get up to speeds over 50mph. SO now im thinking it could be the bearings, but could also just be needing an alignment, oorrrrrrrr maybe the tie rods? not too sure really. a friend and I are going to jack up the front end soon when the weather gets better and see whats going on. I just wanted to order the parts so i could do it all at once and i know some places take forever to ship.
I would get the car properly diagnosed. Find out which wheel bearings are bad (if any). And the highway vibration, I would check wheels and tires first. Could be bad tires, or tires out of balance. That's the best place to start.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad wheel bearings can cause a vibration.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings need changing