Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone have experience with eBay Clutches?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have experience with eBay Clutches?

I know you people will bring up "Oh you own an expensive car! Nothing will be cheap!" Lol I don't care, parts can be found for cheap if you look, i bought a pair of headlights and a spoiler for $200.

I have a nearly stock HP DD and clutch is bad. Don't want to spend $600+ for a new one and dont want to look for a used one. So my question here is. Are there any ebay clutches that are actually decent and for the price of <$350?

Currently looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-KIT-LANCER-EVO-EVOLUTION-7-8-9-/380992527096?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b4ec9af8&vxp=mtr
Is it any good or do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you fancy removing your transmission and risking that clutch blowing up, go for it. I've learned that you get what you pay for. I would not purchase this clutch. It isn't that fun to remove the Evo's transmission, I would not risk it to save a couple hundred.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
If you fancy removing your transmission and risking that clutch blowing up, go for it. I've learned that you get what you pay for. I would not purchase this clutch. It isn't that fun to remove the Evo's transmission, I would not risk it to save a couple hundred.
I forgot to mention. My engine/tranny is already out of the car and taken apart.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
He means removing it again in the near future. Clutches last 50-100k for the typical evo. unless you're launching a lot, that's a 4+ year investment. spend the money and get name-brand
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:45 PM

Exedy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PRO-KIT-CHROMOLY-RACE-FLYWHEEL-2001-2007-LANCER-EVOLUTION-EVO-7-8-9-/400489407214?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3f0762ee&vxp=mtr
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A XTD Clutch exploded on a friends evo 4!

It caused a lot of damage, so NO

Don't even try it
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave ebay parts to Hondas. How hard is it to buy a competition clutch?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Leave ebay parts to Hondas. How hard is it to buy a competition clutch?
Have you ever bought anything for your evo from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Clutch-Stage-2-Street-2100-Clutch-Kit-Mitsubishi-EVO-Evolution-8-9-/400770444347?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4fc7ac3b&vxp=mtr
That one?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take the advice from the folks that are telling you to not get that xtd clutch. Also, invest in the act monloc if you havent yet.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

There are 2 mentalities Ive seen emerging on this site. Those who buy wisely, and those that will buy based on price and will convince themselves that its worth it.

Buy an Exedy single disk, competition clutch single disk or at WORST ACT.

Don't cheap out unless you are just broke and you can't afford it (even then I would say wait it out and until you can afford it).

Do it once, DO it right.

I'm not saying buy a 1500-3000 clutch. I have done that. But at least dont go cheaper then a ACT which is generally accepted as a cheap ok substitute.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
There are 2 mentalities Ive seen emerging on this site. Those who buy wisely, and those that will buy based on price and will convince themselves that its worth it.

Buy an Exedy single disk, competition clutch single disk or at WORST ACT.

Don't cheap out unless you are just broke and you can't afford it (even then I would say wait it out and until you can afford it).

Do it once, DO it right.

I'm not saying buy a 1500-3000 clutch. I have done that. But at least dont go cheaper then a ACT which is generally accepted as a cheap ok substitute.
I like to save as much as possible while being smart at the same time. XTD is out of my search list, I'll be buying a Exedy or Competition single disk clutch, might go stage 1 or 2 when i make up my mind.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RuskiEvo
I like to save as much as possible while being smart at the same time. XTD is out of my search list, I'll be buying a Exedy or Competition single disk clutch, might go stage 1 or 2 when i make up my mind.
I know someone who can get you a deal on a Competition Clutch if you decide to go that route. It's honestly best to stick with known parts rather then going with cheaper. You'll end up dishing out more money in the long run. Trust me and everyone else here trying to warn you.

Anyways shoot me a PM and I can get you my buddies contact info.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

TQ is what usually explodes clutches. Those off-brand clutches are likely great as an OEM replacement or like one guy said for Hondas which make ZERO TQ even with turbos. Throw power mods at an Evo and your TQ will increase and so will likelihood of your clutch exploding.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:54 AM
VRP

Competition Clutch sucks! I would use the XTD all day over comp I've used 4 different competition clutches on dsms they all fail within 5K miles, not to mention none of them will shift into 3rd correctly.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

I would use more well known clutch on the evo bit if you were going with xtd i would try there 6puck sprung plate and stage 5 pressure plate i believe... I have used something simillar on a dsm...

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with eBay Clutches?