Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

jdm bumper install issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
jdm bumper install issue

I just had a brand new oem jdm rear bumper painted and installed on my IX. Problem is that the rear diffuser part sags in the middle. The body shop that installed the bumper said there must be some piece missing that hooks up to support the diffuser. Does anyone know what this is or whats supposed to be done to have this flat like its supposed to be? I tried searching and couldnt find anything specifically. See pics below.

Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly can't remember if there was anything that held the bumper up in the middle when I installed mine. I would pull the tow hook cover off and make sure there's nothing pushing up against the bumper.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
I honestly can't remember if there was anything that held the bumper up in the middle when I installed mine. I would pull the tow hook cover off and make sure there's nothing pushing up against the bumper.
No theres nothing pushing against it
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is nothing there to hold up the middle, the sagging is probably that yours is just deformed a little bit. maybe you can ziptie something on the inside behind the tow hook cover and pull it up.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JPooah
there is nothing there to hold up the middle, the sagging is probably that yours is just deformed a little bit. maybe you can ziptie something on the inside behind the tow hook cover and pull it up.
well thats just flippin great :/
The body shop offered to rig up some sort of ziptie thing but i thought it would look bad. But I guess thats what im gonna have to do.

anybody have experience with body work? Can this be undeformed?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you remove the tow cover, there should be a hole on the bumper that should line up with a bracket on the car. You can run a bolt through to hold it onto the car. I used a bolt and nut.

jdm bumper install issue-qudjufx.jpg
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo4life94
If you remove the tow cover, there should be a hole on the bumper that should line up with a bracket on the car. You can run a bolt through to hold it onto the car. I used a bolt and nut.
Is that because your diffuser sagged too or is supposed to be assembeled that way
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/...r%20brace.html

"Another thing that really bothered us was to see the bottom of the JDM bumper (which looks like a diffuser) just hanging there and catching the air trying to escape from under the car (creating drag-the exact opposite of the function of a diffuser).
The USDM cars don't have provisions to mount the JDM style bumper. We had to do somthing about it, so we designed an aluminum bracket which securely mounts the bottom of the bumper using the stock clips and mounting holes. This bracket is included with the purchase of the bumper brace. We also include a set of fully illustrated instructions to make the install REALLY easy (the diagrams show the locations of all the hidden fasteners)."
The following users liked this post:
Ev0ikon (Jul 7, 2016)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Is it making contact with the rear bumper crash bar? Does it 'sag' when its not on the car? If it does not, then the rails are likely causing it to pinch. Might be able to solve it by adjusting those.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tekniq

"Another thing that really bothered us was to see the bottom of the JDM bumper (which looks like a diffuser) just hanging there and catching the air trying to escape from under the car (creating drag-the exact opposite of the function of a diffuser).
The USDM cars don't have provisions to mount the JDM style bumper. We had to do somthing about it, so we designed an aluminum bracket which securely mounts the bottom of the bumper using the stock clips and mounting holes. This bracket is included with the purchase of the bumper brace. We also include a set of fully illustrated instructions to make the install REALLY easy (the diagrams show the locations of all the hidden fasteners)."
Interesting, its almost saying that since my car is usdm, the sag cant be helped without adding some extra stuff. I actually went to mitsu today and asked about it and they took one look and immediately said it mustve been from being on a rack in storage for so long that it warped it a bit. I guess this link and mitsu contradict each other
Old Jul 7, 2016, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
Is it making contact with the rear bumper crash bar? Does it 'sag' when its not on the car? If it does not, then the rails are likely causing it to pinch. Might be able to solve it by adjusting those.
the crash bar is gone. And from what I could tell it did not sag while it was off but its hard to to tell if it did before since i always saw it laying on the ground.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Solution ^^^
Old Jul 7, 2016, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nemsin

Solution ^^^
Old Jul 7, 2016, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you pop off the clips holding the tow hook cover is the hook centered nicely in the middle? I know you said there is nothing that its up against but thats the only thing I can think of that protrudes out in the middle so maybe its making contact with that.

Come to think of it where the eff is your tow hook anyway? You should be able to see it.

Other than that the only other thing it could be is that the bumper is warped in which that would have been good to know prior to it being painted.

There is nothing that keeps the bumper tied up in there from the factory. I personally purchased this aftermarket crash bar because I liked the separate piece they include to tie the bumper from the bottom and keep it from parachuting.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
If you pop off the clips holding the tow hook cover is the hook centered nicely in the middle? I know you said there is nothing that its up against but thats the only thing I can think of that protrudes out in the middle so maybe its making contact with that.

Come to think of it where the eff is your tow hook anyway? You should be able to see it.

Other than that the only other thing it could be is that the bumper is warped in which that would have been good to know prior to it being painted.

There is nothing that keeps the bumper tied up in there from the factory. I personally purchased this aftermarket crash bar because I liked the separate piece they include to tie the bumper from the bottom and keep it from parachuting.
no, the tow hook is not up against it. What do you mean by parachuting? Are you talking about the effect of the diffuser catching air or the diffuser sagging over time? You think that separate piece will be enough to straighten this thing out?

Quick Reply: jdm bumper install issue