Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: MR headlight fog light wiring in GSR using OEM button!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
How to: MR headlight fog light wiring in GSR using OEM button!

All Evo's came with the fog light wiring inside under the dash. The only thing they didn't do was add the wiring in the engine bay fuse box. This write up will walk you through the process of adding the missing wires. The only thing I couldn't figure out is why the fog symbol in the gauge cluster doesn't light up

I'll add more pictures when I do another install

Parts you'll need:

OEM fog light switch

OEM fog light relay

Small 15amp fuse

H11 fog light plugs (or 9006 plugs if using JDM headlights)

A few feet of 18G wire

Start off by locating the 2 plugs located on the driverside under the dash right above the fuse box. One plug is white and the other is grey. Grab the white plug and connect it to the OEM fog light button. You can now pop off one of the dummy plugs from the dash where the MR/SE/SSL Evo's have the fog button at and add yours there. You can turn on your running lights and see the fog light button light up now

Name:  IMAG0829_zps25328a3f.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  22.8 KB

Time to work in the engine bay!

You'll start off in the engine bay by removing the 2 10mm bolts that are holding the fuse box so you can gain access to the inside of the fuse box from the bottom. After you have removed the bolts you will have to detach the small long relay box that's clipped onto the fuse box by simply pressing the 2 tabs towards the inside of the box and pulling the smaller relay box up. Now you can flip the fuse box over so you can start removing the bottom cover off the fuse box. You'll see about 8 tabs you'll have to press with a flat head screw driver (one of the front ones is hidden be careful not to break it)

Here's a drawing I made of the basic wiring you'll be doing. This is a top view of the fuse box where the wiring would have to go. Do not mix up the wires or you will burn out the foglight terminal in the front ECU!! (sorry I know it's a crappy drawing, but it will have to do)
Name:  IMAG0837_zps4b2f8d17.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB

Time to start wiring! Fuse # 6 (the one I'm pointing at in the pic below) is missing. If you look at the fuse terminal closely you'll notice only the right side of the fuse terminal has a wire but the left side doesn't. You will need to add the 2 wires coming from the relay (shown in my drawing) to the empty side of the terminal so when you add the fuse it can send 12V power to the relay

Name:  IMAG0836_zps080851d5.jpg
Size:  83.7 KB

Next you'll need to remove the Front ECU off the fuse box by pressing in both the tabs and pulling up on it. Now You'll take a wire from the relay to the Front ECU (shown in my awesome drawing lol). In the picture below you will see where I will be adding the wire in the front ECU

Name:  IMAG0840_zps053d11c6.jpg
Size:  96.1 KB

And finally the last wire! My fog light wasn't wired into the headlight harness since I modified the GSR headlight harness so I could connect it directly to the factory harness so my signal and parking lights still worked. On the low beam light I used an aftermarket 9006 hid kit and also purchased an adapter harness that allows me to use the D2S bulb instead of the supplied light bulb. I connected the fog light power wire straight to the relay (shown in the drawing) then grounded the other wire to the closest ground source (there's a 10mm bolt to the inside of the fender on each side with ground wires ran to there)

Now before you re-assemble everything make sure you double check all your wiring and test the fog lights out. Make sure your headlights are on when you turn the fogs on. All looks good, time to re-assemble everything and enjoy!

Name:  IMAG0832_zps57b9b60d.jpg
Size:  73.3 KB

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post a comment here

Last edited by EvokidIX; Aug 30, 2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
did you pull the gauge cluster to make sure the bulb is 1) in the cluster and 2) not dead?

i have fogs, but i'm sure many people will like this write-up since it doesn't hack up a harness or ghetto-rig anything!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
did you pull the gauge cluster to make sure the bulb is 1) in the cluster and 2) not dead?

i have fogs, but i'm sure many people will like this write-up since it doesn't hack up a harness or ghetto-rig anything!
Thanks man! I pulled the gauge cluster out and swapped the bulb already. Nothing worked. What I might do is try and see if there is a missing wire in the gauge cluster harness

Last edited by EvokidIX; Dec 3, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llDemonll

I know I do xD
Working on getting this done
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

My next project will be to take a set of GSR headlights apart, cut out the dummy bubble and the block off on the back side where the fog light is supposed to be. Then install the fog light housings from a set of broken MR headlights. Should be pretty easy
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribe.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you put the wires directly into the tabs? Do you have the part numbers for the OEM parts that you used?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What else do I need to do If I have the GSR headlight assembly?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What I want is to be able to turn my fogs on with the parking/daytime running lights. Not having to have the headlights on. Should be an easy wiring job, just wire the parking light positive into the fog light power from relay to relay and it should be able to have the fogs turned on or off when only the parking lights are on and you'll get the ding telling you if you left them on when the key is out.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

So has anyone attempted this yet?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Hopefully soon I can disassemble my friends GSR headlights and install the foglight housings from a broken set of MR/SE/SSL Evo lights
Old Dec 7, 2013, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, i've been wondering about this for awhile now, could never find anything on it, good write up, did you ever figure out the issue with the guage cluster fog light symbol not lighting up?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks man!

I never got a chance to chase down the fog light symbol on the dash. I'm sure all the wiring under the dash is there. I also did flash a light there and found the symbol along with other interesting ones. I remember seeing a different fog light symbol along with other random ones
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow im saving up for an Mr or jdm headlight, and this post sjows the install for the fog that i will need. thanks
Old Feb 3, 2014, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks man

Quick Reply: How to: MR headlight fog light wiring in GSR using OEM button!