Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to make non-fog light to fog lights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How to make non-fog light to fog lights

I have searched but have not found this write up. I have a non-fog light assembly and want to make them fog lights. Has anyone tried this yet? If so please point me in the right direction. I made my original non-HID into HID, it was very simple. Just purchased a kit that was plug and play. Thanks!!!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh this would be awesome if it's possible. My car came with one headlight with a headlight with out a fog light and it's a minty headlight.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

The GS-R headlights (non-foglight) ones would require substantial modification to make actual fog lights work.

The factory light has a chrome (or black chrome in the case of my IX) dome showing from the front, however the back of the housing is just a flat, blank piece of plastic. There are no mounting locations/bolts/plates on the housing anywhere near that location. You would have to plasti-weld in brackets or a housing, then retrofit them into that spot (after cutting out the dome).

while I was doing a full quad HID retrofit to my IX GS-R headlights (HID's in the high-beam and low-beam locations, both bi-xenon) I wanted to use the fog light location for something. Ultimately it was going to be so difficult that I didnt even want to put angel eyes around the chrome dome that is put in for aesthetics.

Good luck in whatever you do with that location, however I cannot imagine the odds being much higher than 2-5% that you could get it right on the first go without ruining a few sets of (very expensive) headlights in the process.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
^ what he said. you'd have to cut the dome out and somehow mount a foglight in there
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:15 AM

Ok guess I'll just sell it then
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good little project.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

I did this mod to my lights. Very tricky indeed. Toughest part was finding the dome center on the backside and getting a nice hole drilled with a hole saw. After that, rigging up some bracketry wasn't too bad. I installed a set of H1 glass housing foglights and put in some 6k bulbs. Bought the kit off of eBay. Works really well for what it is. I don't use them all the time, but when I do they look fantastic. It takes some time and effort, but if you want to do it, it can be done.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0e34e868.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps49cb27b2.jpg
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

That is some nice work you did legacy. Do you have anymore detailed pics of the project. Those headlights came out awesome!!!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

I'll take some more pics of the lights when they are taken apart so you can see how they are mounted. I am taking them out and apart again to do a tsx retrofit this week. So this time I will take some more pics. I got so wrapped up in the halo and fog light install last time I forgot to take any pics.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome, I will be on the lookout for it.

Originally Posted by legacydestroyer
I'll take some more pics of the lights when they are taken apart so you can see how they are mounted. I am taking them out and apart again to do a tsx retrofit this week. So this time I will take some more pics. I got so wrapped up in the halo and fog light install last time I forgot to take any pics.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 03:25 PM

I have long time looking for some one with the final results, I want to do it to my headlights, the old ones has the fog (broken in a car accident), but the new ones not, so I wan it back

do you have the link of the kit from e b a y?

I want to do it before my trip to panama, race day. .

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a link for a kit on eBaY. I couldn't find the exact one that I got. Mine came with bulbs and balasts and a wire kit. But these are the same housings I used.

I have some more pics of the install, just trying to get photobucket to cooperate with me and get them uploaded. Lol. I will try again tonight when I get to my laptop at home.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pair-JDM-H3-Projector-Fog-Lights-Driving-Lamps-HID-Ready-Kit-with-Brackets-/400447883189?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005%7CModel%3ALancer%7CSubmodel%3AEvolution&hash=item5d3c8dc7b5&vxp=mtr
Old Nov 4, 2013, 02:58 PM

great, what about the back housing, it fit or you did a special mod to adjust it?,
mine is a black flat panel where should be the bulb connector/plug.
I had open it to see how is inside, and I notice that I have to cut the metal projector form to free up the installation..

hope you can share the pics to have more clear how to do it
thanks for your help, I will order the fog projectors for now and waiting for your pics for help
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

For the back of the housing so the light could stick out, I just used a hole saw to open it up, then dremeled the excess off. I used grommets from a civic headlamp low beam to go around the opening. They fit pretty well. For the insert with the blank dome, that is trickier. You have to do your best to find the center of the dome and drill a pilot hole from the backside. Then use a hole saw to open it from there. Dremel the excess off. No real way to show this process, sort of have to do it. Just take your time. Here are some pics of the fog lights in the housings.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscdd9a361.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3a550911.jpg
Old Nov 5, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Nice you are from Panama? So am I!! Happy Independance day!!!
Originally Posted by bonlamicq
I have long time looking for some one with the final results, I want to do it to my headlights, the old ones has the fog (broken in a car accident), but the new ones not, so I wan it back

do you have the link of the kit from e b a y?

I want to do it before my trip to panama, race day. .

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: How to make non-fog light to fog lights