Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help my EVO is not steering straight!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help my EVO is not steering straight!

I dropped my car about 2 months ago on tanabe springs... and whenever I try to steer my car to go straight it pulls right a lot... so basically in order to go straight I had to steer the wheel slightly to the left ALL the time.

So I went to good year today to realign my wheels... and the reason was obvious why my car was pulling right as you can see from the numbers (top: before bottom:after) ... its all f'ed up. However, after the alignment today my car still aint driving right... when I steer the wheel smack in the center it starts steering left now. I am mega pissed off because I have to steer slightly to the right in order make the car drive in a straight line now.

Does anyone know wat might be other issues besides the alignment ... that might be causing this problem? Tire wear (I got new rims recently so the tires only have like 300 miles on them)? The Stock suspension? Has anyone had similar problems??

please someone help...
Attached Thumbnails Help my EVO is not steering straight!-image-01.jpg  
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had to get my evo alligned twice before it was finally correct....I sent it back and had the 2nd allignment done for free...
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^ me too
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

crap ... I probably need to bring it back again tomorrow as well ... did you guys both drop it on Tanabe's ? Do you know wat your alignment numbers turn out to be when it was finally correct?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would just playing around with it for free of course. I had my car done twice after my tanabe springs.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hong Kong Evo
crap ... I probably need to bring it back again tomorrow as well ... did you guys both drop it on Tanabe's ? Do you know wat your alignment numbers turn out to be when it was finally correct?

I think I may know what your problem is. When your alignment was off, and pulling to the right, your tires were unevenly worn. Because you were constantly steering to the left to go straight, and the car was wanting to go right, you wore down your right tires differently than your left tires.

Now that your alignment is dead on, your tires still have uneven wearing, and want to pull. That's why it's very important to fix alignment immediately. Driving with bad alignment for more than a week or so will wear your tires differently.

If a second alignment doesn't fix the problem, and you've never been in an accident, then it is 100% your tires.

- Jason
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing you might want to try checking is tire pressure. Uneven tire pressures may cause your car to pull to one side.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

a lot of plces will do a relative toe setting- that is they set the toe to zero (or whatever) for one tire relative to the other. What you need is an absolute toe setting- the toe setting is based on the angle that the tires make in relation to the center of the car.
Dropping effects camber, which then can effect toe quite a bit.

good luck!!
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:20 PM

why wasnt the camber adjusted to make both front tires even? the only thing adjusted in front was the toe. if you align the front camber together it will also help out in steering straighter.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 92camrygts
why wasnt the camber adjusted to make both front tires even? the only thing adjusted in front was the toe. if you align the front camber together it will also help out in steering straighter.
I believe adjusting the cambers on the Evo requires a camber plate ... this was why they could not adjust it there at the alignment shop ... if I get a camber plate it would be anoter 220 bucks ... I'm not sure if its worth it cause Im gonna get suspensions....
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ
I think I may know what your problem is. When your alignment was off, and pulling to the right, your tires were unevenly worn. Because you were constantly steering to the left to go straight, and the car was wanting to go right, you wore down your right tires differently than your left tires.

Now that your alignment is dead on, your tires still have uneven wearing, and want to pull. That's why it's very important to fix alignment immediately. Driving with bad alignment for more than a week or so will wear your tires differently.

If a second alignment doesn't fix the problem, and you've never been in an accident, then it is 100% your tires.

- Jason
I thought about this too ... it seems to make sense ... but I only drove on these new toyos for about 200 - 300 miles ... and I think the possible amount of tire wear I could've done to it wouldn't be enough to pull the car to the left like how it is right now .... i thought about swapping around the wheels too ...
Old Oct 23, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hong Kong Evo
I believe adjusting the cambers on the Evo requires a camber plate ... this was why they could not adjust it there at the alignment shop ... if I get a camber plate it would be anoter 220 bucks ... I'm not sure if its worth it cause Im gonna get suspensions....
Camber can be adjusted in the front w/o a camber plate. One of the two bolts (the upper one) that mount the strut to the hub is eccentric. It's not very precise since there are only two settings, but you should at least be able to even out your camber between both wheels.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

camber just effects tire wear, basically (and not by much with the +- 1 degree you can get on the Evo struts). Unless you've had some kind of accident that threw your castor off, I'm sure that a proper toe align would solve your sterring wheel issue.
I had the same problem on my previous car. It drove fine as long as I held the wheel at about 1 o'clock. when I held the wheel perfectly straight up, the wheels cocked some to the left. I adjust the toe so the wheels both pointed forward when the wheel was in its proper driving position and voila- no more having to hold the wheel at odd angles to drive straight.

Let us know what you find out when you don't have to have the wheel cocked to one side anymore.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Ok castor does nothing for any type of tire wear or steering and is not adjustable. Camber will not affect steering pulling(unless they are WAY off). It only affect handling and tire wear. Normally places won't set zero toe but i don't know what the evo calls for. A slight toe in will help with your problem but wil increase tire waer slightly. ANY shop that does alignments should know all this if they don't I wouldn't trust my car with them.

Ben
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Camber and toe is completely adjustable for a street car in the front and rear. Your alignment does not look good.

You should have them acheive something like:

Front:
Camber: -1.4 L/R
Toe: 0 mm

Rear:
Camber: -.9 or -1.0 L/R
Toe: .01 mm

There should be no left/right variation. Also, caster, which is not adjustable, can cause your car to pull. Some places can compensate with a mild tweak to camber.

Either way, your specs do not look good.

Quick Reply: Help my EVO is not steering straight!