Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear Sway bar opinions

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Sway bar opinions

Alright here is the question...I run STU in autocross. That means I'm on street tires, so my question is what size rear sway bar should I get? I don't want to go too big and have the tires not be able to handle it.

Should I go with a 24mm?

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old May 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you done any other suspension mods? Alot will depend on your driving style and how much oversteer you like and how your current setup handles ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; May 3, 2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 4, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a hotchkiss 25mm and a rear strut tower brace. haven't done any autoX with the setup yet, but the rear sway bar feels great on medium to hardest setting.

really makes the back of the car feel much more solid on turns.

i'm not sure how it would fair on autoX, but at least with the hotchkiss you can have 3 different levels of stiffness. so you could adapt it easily.

i've also just ordered some new perrin end linkages for the rear too. haven't had a chance to put them on yet though, and i doubt they will make a noticeable difference anyways.
Old May 4, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I currently just have Tein RA's on it. I tend to break later then I should, and it causes me to understeer a lot. That is why I want a bigger sway bar.

Last edited by ride22; May 5, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
H&R 27mm set on Hard. Car rotates very easily, with both drop throttle oversteer and power oversteer depending on traction conditions.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ride22
I currently just have Tein RA's on it. I tend to break later then I should, and it causes me to oversteer a lot. That is why I want a bigger sway bar.
A bigger rear sway is going to promote more oversteer ... you may want to change your alignment or go with a smaller rear swaybar (if there is such a thing) to reduce the oversteer, conversely you could put a large front sway bar to promote more understeer ... how a car behaves during a corner has a lot to do with the driver.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i have a hotchkiss 25mm and a rear strut tower brace. ...
I thought the Hotchkis was 24 mm.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Buy an adjustable sway from RRE and test it out on all settings. If you REALLY need more stiffness then step up to their big rear sway.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I thought the Hotchkis was 24 mm.

oops, yeah it is. my bad.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, if youre braking late into oversteer a bigger sway bar won't help. If the oversteer wasn't from late braking than the swaybar would help slightly, but In your case, its going to make things worse. Work on your alignment first. see what the other guys at your auto-x recommend.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

I got the Agency Power 27mm on my MR.....I set it in the middle(26mm) and It performs awsome!!!
Old May 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled

Your driving style is what is causing your oversteer. You are trailbraking causing your oversteer. a rear swaybar will cause more throttle lift oversteer and power oversteer.
Old May 4, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I should have had my agency power sway bar last week, but fedex would not leave the package, I will install it this saturday after I pick it up at the terminal. I have heard good things about this sway bar and I hope it eliminates some of the understeer that my car has taking a corner fast.

Originally Posted by djskyy
I got the Agency Power 27mm on my MR.....I set it in the middle(26mm) and It performs awsome!!!
Old May 4, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

RRE, nuf said.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have done extensive research on this. Found out that the material use on eac specific sway bar has a lot to do with the strength and the flexibility capabilities ultimately also afecting the diameter of the sway bar.

I was holding the power agency 27mm in my hands the other day, that thing is huge but is heavy. Perhaps a smaller carbon-steel bar would have done the same job with much less weight and lesser diameter.

So far when you do some search most of the vendors and manufacturer still display generic pictures of other sway bars in the market.

I also go by word of mouth, some of my friends have tried some sway bars, EVOFUNK recommends the Buschur 25mm SwayBar. Edwin recommends the Cusco 24mm.

I am just saying, consider all the factors. RRE also have a sponsor Evo 8 which they use for racing, Works racing is all over suspension as well, just take your time and do some good conclusions.

Carlos

Quick Reply: Rear Sway bar opinions