Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Review Update on Hawk HPS Pads

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review Update on Hawk HPS Pads

Hello Everyone as promised another review of the Hawk HPS pads for the the IX. I had the work done at Reese Tuning in Santee California, and the shope is clean, and very knowlegabe staff working there. I had the Hawk Pads put on with the Bucsher Braided Lines and Motul 600 fluid as a Package. Initally the Hawk pads as stated before were louder than a bunch of kids at recess, but after about 500 miles that stoped BUT not completely. The Pads even after 2000 miles still squeal, but only when warm, which puzzles me because the stock pads did the opposite, they squealed when cold? so go figure. The pads get warm and under light pedal they squeal, under moderate to severe braking they are quiet. Bite is good initially, but don't seem to have the constant feel the OEM pads had. I had the pads put on front and rear, and for daily driving they are a good comprimise if price is an issure since the OEM's would cost $500 just for the pads! As for the Brake Lines, they are very very good. Not DOT approved though, since I do not see any seal that says so on them. They do offer WAY better pedal feel. No spongieness at all, of which I would only feel under light loads with the OEM Lines. Linear is a good word here. Just a good solid feel. I feel these are definately worth the $$$ So if you have the $$$ nothing really beats the Brembo pads really, but to comprimise a bit, save a little $$ and still have good brakes, the HAWKS thus far, besides squealing more than a 5 yr old snitch, they are frickin sweet! Props to the Crew at Reese Tuning. Its hard to find a shop that is so careful with customers cars. No paw prints, grease wierd smells, haha, just a clean Evo with a clean brake Job.....
Old Apr 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

i get same squeal... solution: never brake soft... always slam them on!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

good review, i noticed that same squeeling issues.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

are you using the OEM rotors?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'm getting ready to do my first brake job on mine.. and was looking at the hawks, thanks for the heads up!.. do the factorys really cost that much??
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brazilbro
I'm getting ready to do my first brake job on mine.. and was looking at the hawks, thanks for the heads up!.. do the factorys really cost that much??
+1... $500 for oem pads?? damm
Old Apr 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hawk "squeal issue" has been beat to death here on the forums... along with other pads of equal or greater performance. I've still yet to install a Hawk set that has more than sleight noise, and that is only under very light initial braking. I've said it til my face is blue... it's all about reusing the fiber shims from the back of the OE pads (yes, peal them off), and properly prepping the rotors that they are going on. Fail to do either, and you are pretty much GOING to have a noise issue!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
it's all about reusing the fiber shims from the back of the OE pads
The newer stock of HPS front pads have the fiber shim pad in place. I installed the complete set myself, almost by the book. Moderate noise under low speed braking at the beginning and after a while all but gone. Good street pads, not as good as you would like but far superior than OEM's for a fraction of the price.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I highly recommend resurfacing your rotors.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

My car used to sound like a train braking with the HPS. I, however, have fixed it and the noise never came back. My solution - a track day at Motorsports Ranch! After showing those pads who is the boss, they've been as quiet as church mice ever since.

If you're turned off to the HPS, but want a stock-like pad w/o spending the $$, call Girodisc and ask about their stock replacement pad.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRicahrd
I thought it has been "beat to death" that this is NOT RECOMMENDED
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I went from HPS pads to ferodo 2500... They have the same feel, if not a step better and make ZERO! sound..... Hawk pads are also pretty tough on rotors from all the reviews i've read on here the past few years.

Cheers!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

I highly recommend you stop posting bad info.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting reviews.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Read up on this

This is misinformation. Goto stoptechs website and look under their technical information section. Read the article they wrote about the misconception of Warped Rotors.

I have the ferrodo 2500 pads and love them. I went throught the stock pads in 20k miles. The ferrodo have more bite and have lasted longer. I am at 25k miles with them now with about 1/2 of pad left. As for noise, I really can't hear much over my clutch chatter.

Last edited by mithrandir7533; Apr 30, 2008 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Review Update on Hawk HPS Pads