Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some input on rubbing issues! lots of pix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:05 AM
AMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some input on rubbing issues! lots of pix

I just got my TA volk CE28 18x9.5 +28 with nitto 555 265/35/18 many thanks to matthew333 for the awesome rims !!!. The front tires don't seem to have any clearance on the inner side skirts and fender lining I've also ordered the Seibon carbon wide fenders ( should be here within a week ) but I don't think this has anything to do with the fenders or my stock suspension. Added pictures below. Can't fully turn the steering wheel. Should I add some spacers? What size should I get and which company makes decent ones. I've heard horrid stories about spacers. My last resort is to order another set of tire. I think 245/40/18 should be a perfect fit w/o any issues. What you guys think?

Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Many using that size, but many have rolled fenders. Also, a spacer won't help what looks like a diameter issue more than an inboard/outboard wheel issue. Spacers will move the complete assembly more outboard, but not create more gap between the liner and the tire.

A 245 would help with width, but is larger in diameter than what you have now. So not sure that will solve it. Very common fit is a 255/35-18 which is three tenths of an inch smaller in diameter. Between that and the 1/2" narrower footprint you may be ok.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the spacing like in the front of the tire? Maybe some caster adjustment to move the strut tower forward would create more space to move the wheel left and right in the wheel well when turning?

Car looks good, I like those wheels and you have a nice WW VIII
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:29 AM

A few more degrees of castor, or a shorter tire would be the fix there.

Or you could just bust out the dremel and "make" it fit
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

yeah spacers wont help you out at all bro, really you need to get that all aligned as well, you might have to remove some of the plastics. Nice rims and wheels combo though!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Many using that size, but many have rolled fenders. Also, a spacer won't help what looks like a diameter issue more than an inboard/outboard wheel issue. Spacers will move the complete assembly more outboard, but not create more gap between the liner and the tire.

A 245 would help with width, but is larger in diameter than what you have now. So not sure that will solve it. Very common fit is a 255/35-18 which is three tenths of an inch smaller in diameter. Between that and the 1/2" narrower footprint you may be ok.
Yeah i agree about the 255/35/18.....i run this size on mine that is lowered on the same offset wheel and do not have any rubbing issues...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
AMF

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Whats the spacing like in the front of the tire? Maybe some caster adjustment to move the strut tower forward would create more space to move the wheel left and right in the wheel well when turning?

Car looks good, I like those wheels and you have a nice WW VIII

Thanks for the compliment. Doesn't seem to have much clearance on the front as well, I thought running with OEM side skirts should give me more than enough clearance, . Spoke with matthew333 ( guys who sold me the rims ). He said he didn't have an issue at all but hes got Cwest side skirts. Would trimming a portion on the inner sideskirts help?

Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
AMF

Originally Posted by xsolowx
Yeah i agree about the 255/35/18.....i run this size on mine that is lowered on the same offset wheel and do not have any rubbing issues...

This would be my last resort cuz I have to dish out another G and probably have to sell the 265's on ebay since I cant sell stuff here yet Appreciate the help.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Never go to narrow tire if you can help it.

You can take a heat gun an heat the surrounding plastic and this will allow you to move the plastic back. It should help give you a little more clearance. I even heat the side skirt inside the wheel wheel and push it back.

Last edited by awdboosted; Feb 13, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:15 PM
AMF

No more rubbing issues !!

I finally ended up ordering a set of Z1 star specs. Got them installed today, no more rubbing issues! Awesome tires btw. On the 265's, not only the front was rubbing but rear as well ( not really serious ) I was told the screw that holds the rear quarter panel and the fender was supposed to be moved back an inch. I'm not a handy guy at all. I asked the body shop if they can do it but dude told me it is a major work and they would not touch it. I don't want to damage the tires further so I ordered another set of tires. The 265's only driven not more than 15miles and 250ish on the original owner, now sitting in my garage collecting dust. I'm sure others might think it is super easy to fix the rubbing issue but since I'm not good with tools and fix it myself, emptying my wallet seems the only way