Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

BC Racing or Apexi Coilovers for DD Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BC Racing or Apexi Coilovers for DD Evo?

Hey guys..so I've been riding on Tanabe GF210 lowering springs on stock struts for about 30k miles now and I've realized it time to upgrade to coilovers. I'm getting a weird popping noise in my suspension and feel it's time to take it to the next level.

That being said, out of the BC Racing Coilovers and Apexi N1 (I believe that is the model name..) which would be better for Daily Driving? Also what would be the best spring rates and which vendors have the best pricing on BC Racing Coilovers?

Thanks for all your help guys and I have searched before but it's quite hard to find the exact information I need.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither. Why do you think it's time to upgrade to coilovers on a DD?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

if ur going to do the stance thing and all, a lot of people run BC Racing coils
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 PM

bc was the first coilover i had...didnt care for them at all. handling got worse imo. went to Tein SRC(awesome handling) then went to mr bilsteins...i think the bilsteins are the way to go for the street. hard to beat factory engineering.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Neither. Why do you think it's time to upgrade to coilovers on a DD?
Well I basically found out the hard way today that my springs were installed wrong. They aren't sitting right in the perch or something like that. I figure instead of shelling out $200-300 to FIX the springs..I might as well just shell out the $200-300 and have new coil overs put on. I'm getting a nasty pop when I turn my wheels going down slight inclines and I'm 90% sure it's in the suspension set up. I've been wanting coilovers for a while and I figure now is the best time as ever to pull the trigger.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BrendanS
if ur going to do the stance thing and all, a lot of people run BC Racing coils
What do you mean by the "stance thing and all"? Do you mean am I going for looks and a nice drop? If so, yes, I do care about the looks..but not to the extent that I'm willing to let it affect performance. I would like something that looks good, and also performs well. At least as good as the GF210 lowering springs I have (though to be honest I can't really tell a difference from that and the stock springs; performance wise)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Dave Buschur has said good things about the Apexi S1 coilovers. Read his first thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...formation.html
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Master
Dave Buschur has said good things about the Apexi S1 coilovers. Read his first thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...formation.html
Thanks for the information, but those are the S1's. I was contemplating purchasing the N1's, which are a tad bit cheaper.

$1,400 is a tad bit out of my price range sadly..
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could look into Fortune Auto 500 coilovers. I just ordered a set to replace my Buddy Club Racing spec coilovers. From what i've heard about them so far, they are supposed to be pretty good, especially for the money. Fortune Auto runs these on their own race cars, and have done quite well on them. they also do custom spring rates and valving at no extra charge. check with Import Image, a vendor on here, or Fortune Auto themselves, to ask about a set.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

The $1k coilover horse has been beaten to death.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
you could look into Fortune Auto 500 coilovers. I just ordered a set to replace my Buddy Club Racing spec coilovers. From what i've heard about them so far, they are supposed to be pretty good, especially for the money. Fortune Auto runs these on their own race cars, and have done quite well on them. they also do custom spring rates and valving at no extra charge. check with Import Image, a vendor on here, or Fortune Auto themselves, to ask about a set.
Thanks for the info, these are priced at around $1,000 or so as well as the BC's correct?

I just haven't heard much info on these coilovers (neither good nor bad).
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
The $1k coilover horse has been beaten to death.
yeah, and the "you can't get good coilovers for under $3k" horse has too, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. you don't need to spend that much on coilovers to have something better than the stock stuff. the stock suspension on EVO's is good, but it's not THAT good. it's too high, and too soft. springs alone wouldn't do it for me.

5 years ago I bought Buddy Club racing spec coilovers which I got for $1400 at the time (MSRP was around $1850). I've won many autocrosses, and put these things through hell for the last 150,000 miles. never needed to be rebuilt, haven't blown any of the shocks yet, and other than a noise coming from the pillowball bearing on the front struts, I have nothing to complain about with these.

These would fall into the under $1500 coilover category which has been deemed unuseable by just about everybody in this subforum and I call it bull****. These used to be offered by Muller and Robi in tuned packages, and were also used by a lot of top builders back in the day. I'd have to assume these couldn't be that bad even though they weren't that expensive.

I find it hard to believe that if I could find a good set years ago for $1400, that with the advances in the past 5 years, and the research that somebody somewhere couldn't find a way to make a good coilover that didn't have to be $3000. Is it Megan, or Stance, or BC? probably not. Will somebody do it? Probably. I'm hoping it's fortune auto, and from what I've seen, I might be right.

Properly set up and corner weighted, I will guarantee these things will be leaps and bounds better than the stock MR suspension that people claim is the only viable option unless you go Ohlins, Motons, JRZ, or some other expensive route. For people who use their car primarily as a DD, but still want to be competative at the track, coilovers can be had, and made to perform better than the stock stuff.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1, well said
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
yeah, and the "you can't get good coilovers for under $3k" horse has too, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. you don't need to spend that much on coilovers to have something better than the stock stuff. the stock suspension on EVO's is good, but it's not THAT good. it's too high, and too soft. springs alone wouldn't do it for me.

5 years ago I bought Buddy Club racing spec coilovers which I got for $1400 at the time (MSRP was around $1850). I've won many autocrosses, and put these things through hell for the last 150,000 miles. never needed to be rebuilt, haven't blown any of the shocks yet, and other than a noise coming from the pillowball bearing on the front struts, I have nothing to complain about with these.

These would fall into the under $1500 coilover category which has been deemed unuseable by just about everybody in this subforum and I call it bull****. These used to be offered by Muller and Robi in tuned packages, and were also used by a lot of top builders back in the day. I'd have to assume these couldn't be that bad even though they weren't that expensive.

I find it hard to believe that if I could find a good set years ago for $1400, that with the advances in the past 5 years, and the research that somebody somewhere couldn't find a way to make a good coilover that didn't have to be $3000. Is it Megan, or Stance, or BC? probably not. Will somebody do it? Probably. I'm hoping it's fortune auto, and from what I've seen, I might be right.

Properly set up and corner weighted, I will guarantee these things will be leaps and bounds better than the stock MR suspension that people claim is the only viable option unless you go Ohlins, Motons, JRZ, or some other expensive route. For people who use their car primarily as a DD, but still want to be competative at the track, coilovers can be had, and made to perform better than the stock stuff.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree 100%. For the street, the stock MR or aftermarket Bilstein / GTWorks setup is hard to beat for the price. A lot of folks think you want to have the suspension uber stiff for the car to handle well, but that is not the case for a street car and street tires. Roll and suspension travel are important .

Just my $0.02
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree 100%. For the street, the stock MR or aftermarket Bilstein / GTWorks setup is hard to beat for the price. A lot of folks think you want to have the suspension uber stiff for the car to handle well, but that is not the case for a street car and street tires. Roll and suspension travel are important .

Just my $0.02
yes, "for the price" maybe. but that price is only what, $300? a well setup $1500 coilover system will still outperform the $300 setup. if you have suspension travel, good spring rates, and properly valved shocks on the coilover setup, it's going to be better than stock shocks with springs. if that can be had for a reasonable price, then why hate on it?

the stock shocks are too soft to push really really hard. i raced on the stock MR stuff for a while before I went with coilovers, and the car felt a lot better after the switch, and my times dropped in comparison to the other cars i raced against before the switch.

with the set i'll be putting on in a couple of weeks, i'll be having these corner balanced as well. if coilovers that don't cost $3000 are so useless, then why don't teams that road race their cars just use stock MR shocks and GT Worx springs instead of campaigning their cars on low end coilovers?

the MR/GT Worx combo is good, but it's not the end-all-be-all to affordable suspension options.

the problem isn't the price of the coilovers. the problem is the coilovers having the wrong rates or valving, or both, or poor setup by the user. The MR/GT Worx setup takes that part out of the equation. THAT does a lot to make it a superior setup. IF you get a setup that is properly valved with proper rates and setup properly it will be better.

stop hating because not everybody wants, or needs to spend $3000 to go fast.

Quick Reply: BC Racing or Apexi Coilovers for DD Evo?