Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers for the stanced and the low

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowevo84
H&R does make a coilover for the evo so you might want to look into them if you like them. However there is a reason they dont make ultra lows for the evo. Even they know that the evo was never meant to go that low and perform well so they didn't bother. Same with most other coilover companies. Now most coilovers will allow you to go low but the ones made for the evo will not be that comfortable and to keep the suspension geometry in check you will be spending some money not to mention all the fender rolling you will be doing.
im on stance GR+, the problem with going low is the lower adjuster in the front on the inverted models. you only go so low before you hit the CV Boot and tear it up. i am about 5mm from it and do not have any problems. if you want to go lower than me then hit up BC for there "special short shock kit" you have to call them for it. there is no part#. that is what the Subaru guys do to go to the ground. if this ride hight is good, then i say stance GR+ i like the ride. just don't think it will be a cadillac....
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What you looking to get for the ce28s? Send me a pm.

I think the car looks great the way it is!!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to try a cheap brand.. I went with godspeed type rs. They ride better then my gf210's tanabes. I have the fronts as low as it can go. (just flush with tire) and i also had a few photos of two of the three adjusters out of it(to see how low it could go) and those are the photos in the "STANCE" thread. They were 600$ shipped camber adjustments are great 1 to -4* and 20 way dapening. The strut is adjustable so i lowered the strut a credit card thick away from the cv boot and never hit the boot. I love them. Bash all you want but for the money and quality i am not complaining about anything.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo's wern't meant to put down 600+ either.

Too each his own.

Good luck OP
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
203banshee, I think you are simply posting in the wrong section for this question. The majority that post in here are actually interested in handling performance and not looks. I would search around in the show and shine section, seems the idea of "ultra low" and "good handling" are allowed in the same sentence over there.

In here, it's all about keeping the suspension geometry good, keeping bump travel to a reasonable amount, and having a car that does the EVO name justice when it comes to handling performance.

Beyond those words, all I can say is a lot of coil-overs with the adjustable body will go extremely low and still maintain travel. I have mine all the way UP and the car is pretty low (with regards to suspension geometry anyway). I could easily go another 2" lower though as far as the coil-over is concerned. This would put the side skirts about 3" above the ground and would just about tuck the entire rear tire. If you are going to run narrow *** tires, then you can probably even get away with running the car extremely low as rubbing won't be an issue when you have Honda Civic sized rubber under the car.

Now, should you change your mind and maybe get some interest in a street car setup that can pull over 1G and out handle most super cars out there, this section has the answers, but they won't be "ultra low."

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Evo's wern't meant to put down 600+ either.

Too each his own.
Wait, what? At the risk of stating the brutally obvious, 600hp don't stop the car from accelerating quickly, where as frucking up the suspension does prevent the car from cornering (and braking) nearly as well as it did before. Sure, doing this is a personal choice. I don't know if anyone ever disagreed. As this is a technical forum devoted to suspension tuning, on an Evolution of all things, it's not out of line to mention how such a setup goes against everything involving the idea of (even passable) performance. Seeing how cars do all of three things - they accelerate, they decelerate, and they corner - focusing on decreasing the scope of two of those factors is automotively* counterproductive.

* Notice how I said, "automotively." There is a forum right next door where such a qualification is not required.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I got kei office and i dont recommend slamming it. Gonna destroy what an evo was made for cornering. Its a rally car not engineered for scrapping the ground. Make sure your control arms are level and get some whiteline balljoints and enjoy your evo being low looking good and handling like crazy done
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
* Notice how I said, "automotively." There is a forum right next door where such a qualification is not required.
And its full of pictures and cars that look better parked then they are to drive
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm I think there should be a new place on the forum where the "stancenation" "stretch tire" W/E... guys have somewhere to post without them being attacked all the time. my 2cents.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by theEVOdream
hmmm I think there should be a new place on the forum where the "stancenation" "stretch tire" W/E... guys have somewhere to post without them being attacked all the time. my 2cents.
Me too, but mostly so I dont have to see all the dumb hellaflush gheyness.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

OP, what color exactly is your car?

stpkenton, can I get some specs on wheels? Is that the Greddy lip?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just delete ur evom account and go to one of the hellaflush forums were everybody will think ur hella kool an $hit yo
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Please Mods for the love of everything that is an EVO do not consider this EVER
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smike
And its full of pictures and cars that look better parked then they are to drive
+999999
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Tru.

Quick Reply: Coilovers for the stanced and the low