Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers for the stanced and the low

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Coilovers for the stanced and the low

Hello evom, I have an evo 8 and I'm looking to go low (I know how a lot of you bash slammed and stretched but it's what I like. Yes I come from the VW world..).. I currently have MR shocks with tein springs and the ride is great, handles really well. I don't really track the car at all other than a few passes down a 1/4 mile a year. More than anything I'm looking for the ability to go low and ride comfortably as much as possible (compared to H&R ultra low coilovers is what I would like).

Here's a pic of my car as it sits now.. I'm going to be getting rid of the CE28s soon so if anyones interested PM me. Thanks fella's.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You're wasting good Bilsteins (which are soon to be blown Bilsteins). No the ride is not great. Its crap. 100% baby brown extra grease crap.

Comfort and slammed - not going to happen. Inverting the suspension geometry, no travel, high spring rates - thats going to happen.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I don't really track the car at all other than a few passes down a 1/4 mile a year. More than anything I'm looking for the ability to go low and ride comfortably as much as possible..."

so why did you buy an evo...
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:21 PM

Ive had plenty of different suspension setups excluding coilovers in the previous cars that I have owned and I can tell you first hand that Smike is right, the words comfortable and slammed do not belong in the same sentence.

If I were you I would get a stock set of shocks for cheap and put the tiens on those. Sell the bilstein shocks and when your stock shocks go bad buy the coilovers.

At least that way you dont waste a set of nice shocks..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Just buy some cheap coilovers since you don't care about driving it right.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Smike

You're wasting good Bilsteins (which are soon to be blown Bilsteins). No the ride is not great. Its crap. 100% baby brown extra grease crap.

Comfort and slammed - not going to happen. Inverting the suspension geometry, no travel, high spring rates - thats going to happen.
the car came on this setup, its not my doing. i would much rather just buy quality coils. and comfort with slammed is very much possible, dont tell lies. H&R ultra lows ride amazing and go lower than any coils.

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
"I don't really track the car at all other than a few passes down a 1/4 mile a year. More than anything I'm looking for the ability to go low and ride comfortably as much as possible..."

so why did you buy an evo...
so just because i dont race my car all the time and beat the **** out of it every weekend means i shouldnt own an evo?

Originally Posted by CrAwLiN3vO
Ive had plenty of different suspension setups excluding coilovers in the previous cars that I have owned and I can tell you first hand that Smike is right, the words comfortable and slammed do not belong in the same sentence.

If I were you I would get a stock set of shocks for cheap and put the tiens on those. Sell the bilstein shocks and when your stock shocks go bad buy the coilovers.

At least that way you dont waste a set of nice shocks..
i want to go low, stock shocks on teins springs is not low..

there are plenty of "euro" coils that have mastered the science of getting low and still being somewhat comfortable. by adding the correct shock travel and spring rates, etc etc..

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
Just buy some cheap coilovers since you don't care about driving it right.
cheap coils do not ride well. and how do you know i dont drive it right? i have some spirited driving every now and again but no i dont beat the **** out of my car and im proud of it. yes i baby the ish out of my car, how is that a bad thing?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
stop giving the OP a hard time... he said he doesn't care bout tracking the car... I think he meant tracking as AutoX the car so 1/4 mile runs really don't apply.

Anyways... he said he came from the Veedub world so running super stretch and low is to his liking, a lot of people run EVOs that way and hey, its their car, let them do what they want with it. Why hate on them?

I agree with the above statement, get some cheap coils if ride height is your primary goal. I'd keep the Billys and just swap them with a better spring, this way you have a functional set up should you want to swap it back.

Maybe to the OP, an umcomfortable ride not so uncomfortable to what it would be to the average EVO owner. I agree though with what Smike said, almost any car I ridden, whether on cheap or expensive coils, running them really low does make them fairly bouncy and down right annoying. But maybe to the OP that is not a big issue.

You can get get a decent set of coils though for what you are going to get for selling those Volks.

I am not a huge fan of the non functional stretched ultra low look but to each his own. I like the car lower than stock but running a slammed car with 215-225 on a 9.5 rim is silly... but that is MY OPINION...

OP... I say look at this thread and PM some of the folks here running these set ups. This way you get a more direct response from people actually running them

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...stanced+thread

Last edited by Astro_Train; Jun 19, 2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added thread
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 203banshee
the car came on this setup, its not my doing. i would much rather just buy quality coils. and comfort with slammed is very much possible, dont tell lies. H&R ultra lows ride amazing and go lower than any coils.

there are plenty of "euro" coils that have mastered the science of getting low and still being somewhat comfortable. by adding the correct shock travel and spring rates, etc etc..

cheap coils do not ride well. and how do you know i dont drive it right? i have some spirited driving every now and again but no i dont beat the **** out of my car and im proud of it. yes i baby the ish out of my car, how is that a bad thing?
Coilovers aren't the only part in a cars suspension that make it ride comfortable. Why not just stick with companies that have "mastered the science of getting low" and enjoy your own car for what little it will be able to do. Coming from a jetta I am sure the Evo feels pretty amazing to you even though you are on garbage springs. Just understand that your car has a much higher potential than what you are accustomed to. Throwing off our cars handling is sacrilegious to most so be prepared to get flamed along with all of the others who have recently adopted this trend.

Last edited by RevMoto; Jun 19, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
stop giving the OP a hard time... he said he doesn't care bout tracking the car... I think he meant tracking as AutoX the car so 1/4 mile runs really don't apply.

Anyways... he said he came from the Veedub world so running super stretch and low is to his liking, a lot of people run EVOs that way and hey, its their car, let them do what they want with it. Why hate on them?

I agree with the above statement, get some cheap coils if ride height is your primary goal. I'd keep the Billys and just swap them with a better spring, this way you have a functional set up should you want to swap it back.

Maybe to the OP, an umcomfortable ride not so uncomfortable to what it would be to the average EVO owner. I agree though with what Smike said, almost any car I ridden, whether on cheap or expensive coils, running them really low does make them fairly bouncy and down right annoying. But maybe to the OP that is not a big issue.

You can get get a decent set of coils though for what you are going to get for selling those Volks.

I am not a huge fan of the non functional stretched ultra low look but to each his own. I like the car lower than stock but running a slammed car with 215-225 on a 9.5 rim is silly... but that is MY OPINION...

OP... I say look at this thread and PM some of the folks here running these set ups. This way you get a more direct response from people actually running them

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...stanced+thread
Thanks for not bashing and actually understanding my opinion. I'm not the first evo owner to slam it and stretch some tires and I won't be the last.

On the subject of being slammed and having comfort I can say with personal experience that I have had cheap ( race land) coils and I've also had quality (H&R) coils. And the race lands bounce and suck really bad. However, the H&R ultra lows ride amazing even when they were cranked all the way down.

So my question is, what coils can be best compared to the ride comfort and ability to go low, as that of the H&R ultra lows? (since ultra lows are not produced for the evo)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lies? Hardly. You not knowing what a good handling car actually feels like - bingo.

Good luck with messing up all hopes of ride/handling.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smike
lies? Hardly. You not knowing what a good handling car actually feels like - bingo.

Good luck with messing up all hopes of ride/handling.
+1
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I'll take those bilsteins! pm sent ha!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
and how do you know i dont drive it right?
Because, you said, "...handles really well." That's impossible.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

H&R does make a coilover for the evo so you might want to look into them if you like them. However there is a reason they dont make ultra lows for the evo. Even they know that the evo was never meant to go that low and perform well so they didn't bother. Same with most other coilover companies. Now most coilovers will allow you to go low but the ones made for the evo will not be that comfortable and to keep the suspension geometry in check you will be spending some money not to mention all the fender rolling you will be doing.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so just because i dont race my car all the time and beat the **** out of it every weekend means i shouldnt own an evo?
yes

Quick Reply: Coilovers for the stanced and the low