Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake issue after motor build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake issue after motor build

I searched and read countless threads about brake boosters going bad and having the brakes stiff and pedal not moving far...

I am having this same issue after building my motor. Before pulling it everything worked just fine... Built the motor, top to bottom. And now the brake pedal only moves 1/2" and then it is like kicking a brick wall...

The vacuum line from the intake manifold to the brake booster is fine. I bled the brakes. Car still stops but the pedal play is so short...

What would cause this after the build? Or what would cause the booster to fail during the down time of the build

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a boost assist issue. When you did the build did you take off the booster hose with check valve? Make sure this is all okie dokie.... also you can try to put a vac gauge on the booster hose to see what it is seeing.

Of course we are assuming you did absolutely nothing to the brakes, as you kind of mentioned.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Sounds like a boost assist issue. When you did the build did you take off the booster hose with check valve? Make sure this is all okie dokie.... also you can try to put a vac gauge on the booster hose to see what it is seeing.

Of course we are assuming you did absolutely nothing to the brakes, as you kind of mentioned.
Negative, just removed the hose from the back of the intake manifold, other then that the hose sat there until I put the motor back in.. I'm gonna get another hose tomorrow just to eliminate the little things
Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
do you have big cams?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
do you have big cams?
^^^ This guy wants to know your difference in vacuum level vs your old setup.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

do you have big cams?
I went from BC 280s to GSC S2's. I can only see that effecting it when the car is running, if at all. This happens even when the motor is not on
^^^ This guy wants to know your difference in vacuum level vs your old setup.
Yes I switched to GSC S2's from BC280s, also went from dual springs to single springs
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to make sure the check valve inside of your brake booster line is in the correct orientation, or you didn't put the line on backwards. I would disconnect the booster line in its entirety and make sure you can "suck" in air through the hose from the intake manifold connection size. Down here in the south we have mudbugs that love to make nests in little disconnected lines like that and royally screw things up while your car is down for a bit.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
You need to make sure the check valve inside of your brake booster line is in the correct orientation, or you didn't put the line on backwards. I would disconnect the booster line in its entirety and make sure you can "suck" in air through the hose from the intake manifold connection size. Down here in the south we have mudbugs that love to make nests in little disconnected lines like that and royally screw things up while your car is down for a bit.
I will have to check that later tonight when I get home.

However The line was never removed from the booster. The arrow is still pointing and reads " <-----ENGINE" going in the right direction.

I'm not even certain where the check valve is I'll hope somethigns stuck in the line or its in the correct orrientation. thanks a bunch
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

The check valve is between the booster and the manifold..... I'd use another hose and bypass the valve entirely just to see if that fixes it. Other than that, sounds stupid, but bleed (or flush) your brake fluid

Have you driven the car yet? Or just idle? What is your vac level difference at idle (before and after cams)?

Its normal for the pedal to be hard when the car is off.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Sep 10, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

The check valve is between the booster and the manifold..... I'd use another hose and bypass the valve entirely just to see if that fixes it. Other than that, sounds stupid, but bleed (or flush) your brake fluid

Have you driven the car yet? Or just idle? What is your vac level difference at idle (before and after cams)?

Its normal for the pedal to be hard when the car is off.
Yeah hopefully will get to test my buddies hose and see if it works, otherwise I'll try the bypass method, I didnt realize it was IN the line itself..

I'll try to have the fluid all flushed, I bled the brakes like each corner 4+ times, and capped off the fluid twice.. hoped taht cycled it... however whats another shot..

I have driven the car like 10miles total now, car still stops just as mentioned i get a 1/2" of travel in the pedal I dont remember what my vacuum was before the build.. i think like 20/22? I'll have to check today what the new vacuum is when tis started.

Thanks a bunch so far Joe, you're going to h2o this year ya?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

vacuum right now is 4/6 ish, however my boost controler is turned all the way down to nothing to restrict air going to the wastegate, since its not tuned yet, just a baseline
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

boost will have no effect on vac level.

I'm trying to go to H20... I'll have to fly, I'll be in San Diego until the 27th.... my dumbass friends couldn't plan and get a place so who knows where we are staying... a bunch of **** faces lol
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

boost will have no effect on vac level.

I'm trying to go to H20... I'll have to fly, I'll be in San Diego until the 27th.... my dumbass friends couldn't plan and get a place so who knows where we are staying... a bunch of **** faces lol
I'm thinking its vacuum related, thats very low level when at idle, when I was slowing down with downshifting and my vacuum was l14/16 the brakes felt normal, but when I'm close to idle and the vacuum is low the brakes are stiff as hell..

In regards to h2o, they suck hahahah
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4-6in of vacuum is terribly low.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

4-6in of vacuum is terribly low.
yup, if you are getting this much vac than you have extremely low boost assist, which would make it seem the booster is not working at all but actually hurting you as you still have to overcome all the spring forces etc. inside the booster.
This is why in gear, engine braking your vac increases and your brakes seem normal.

You need to be sure you don't have any vac leaks in your intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Brake issue after motor build