Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Understeer with LSD Need Help With Setup?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understeer with LSD Need Help With Setup?

Hey I Have A 06 GG EVO 9
Most driving is on tight mt roads at 40 to 80 mph turns

Mods:
coilovers
adj. sway bars
Rollcenter/bump steer kit
quaife front lsd
235/45r17
17x9 +20 rims

Setup:
-2.25 font camber
-1.25 rear camber
0 toe front rear
soft front dampingin/compression
stiff rear dampingin/compression
Stiff setting on rear swaybar
32 psi front tires
45 psi rear tires

Problem:
Just installed a quaife lsd because i blew the oem transfercase and diff appart

and now my car has slight understeer when in throttle upon entering and exting a corner

It feels like the back end is about to loose traction and then the front starts slipping so The understeer its horrible but their (Can Correct with a flick of the wheel before corner)

My question is can i regain my oversteer from adjusting my setup or will i have to buy a max lock rear diff?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

For starters I would recommend lowering your rear tire pressure to around 30-32 psi and go from there. See how that feels and go from there.

What sway bars do you have and what setting are they on?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:35 PM

Whiteline front has no adj. rear has 3 holes and its on the hole closest to the swaybar mount

Will Try Running Even Air Tomorrow

Will Stiffing the damping on the front help ?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhuberto
Whiteline front has no adj. rear has 3 holes and its on the hole closest to the swaybar mount

Will Try Running Even Air Tomorrow

Will Stiffing the damping on the front help ?
I think a balanced approach is worth trying. Whenever I dial in my suspension for the characteristics I want (old car with adjustable coilovers) I would started with the basics and nothing extreme and on the same stretch of road and tinker with rebound and tire pressures.

How are you entering the corners you are taking? Are you hauling *** until the turn, slamming on the brakes, and then getting back on the gas as soon as you start turning? The reason I ask is that how you are entering the turn can tell whether the car is "naturally" understeering or whether it is driver induced.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are your spring rates?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:10 PM

yes i brake late but befor the turn then let of cut in and roll on the gas as soon as i give it a lil to much gas threw the turn the back feels like its about to give and right befor it dose the front will brake traction while rolling on the gas

if i brake really late and pump the brakes right after i start to cut the wheel then get on the gas the car will rotate upon braking and then feel great and just a little tail happy threw the turn
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear tire pressure needs to come down to at least 32, fronts I would bump to 33 or 34. When you do these mountain runs are you easing into it at first or ***** out from the start. I'd bet you're rolling onto the sidewall in the front. Other thing is since you don't have an upgraded rear diff, any understeer you had before is made worse by the upgraded front diff. I am local to you and could help you in person if you'd like. Not that doing mountain runs are all that safe, but I can give you some advice to keep you out of trouble and deal with your understeer.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I would suggest it may be in your driving style also, with a front lsd I find that a slower in faster out approach works better.
slow enough that you can get on the gas early and feed the power on which if not over done should actually tuck the nose in a little more on exit.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperX
Rear tire pressure needs to come down to at least 32, fronts I would bump to 33 or 34. When you do these mountain runs are you easing into it at first or ***** out from the start. I'd bet you're rolling onto the sidewall in the front. Other thing is since you don't have an upgraded rear diff, any understeer you had before is made worse by the upgraded front diff. I am local to you and could help you in person if you'd like. Not that doing mountain runs are all that safe, but I can give you some advice to keep you out of trouble and deal with your understeer.

Yeah That Be Great Pm Me
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey I Have A 06 GG EVO 9

My question is can i regain my oversteer from adjusting my setup or will i have to buy a max lock rear diff?
If you got the coin: Max-lock and while you are at it get your ACD reprogrammed and don't look back ...

Then you just might have to back off your rear sway bar ....
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:15 AM

Max-lock and tune will be done eventually but right now im trying to get the best out of what I got
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hey I Have A 06 GG EVO 9
Most driving is on tight mt roads at 40 to 80 mph turns

Mods:
coilovers
adj. sway bars
Rollcenter/bump steer kit
quaife front lsd
235/45r17
17x9 +20 rims

Setup:
-2.25 font camber
-1.25 rear camber
0 toe front rear
soft front dampingin/compression
stiff rear dampingin/compression
Stiff setting on rear swaybar
32 psi front tires
45 psi rear tires

Problem:
Just installed a quaife lsd because i blew the oem transfercase and diff appart

and now my car has slight understeer when in throttle upon entering and exting a corner

It feels like the back end is about to loose traction and then the front starts slipping so The understeer its horrible but their (Can Correct with a flick of the wheel before corner)

IMO, what you are experiencing is the classic tri-pod suspension action

* your rear swaybar is at full stiff. This has the effect of reducing the rear suspension travel which will lift the inside rear tire. Lifting the tires is not so bad, but when the tire hits the ground again, all that momentum from the spinning inside rear wheel will be distributed to the other 3 wheels. Now that you have the quaife in the front, you start to break traction which you are feeling as understeer on corner exit.

* your rear camber is a bit high. Try reducing it to around -1 degree.
* experiment with a little toe out in the front. This creates a sharper turn in on corner entry which you can use to your advantage.

* to reduce the potential of lifting the inside rear tire, increase the front spring rates to reduce the body roll, you already have a front sway bar right?

* oh yeah... those offsets on the rims are totally wrong. With a 17x9 rim, you really should be running a +35mm offset.

The max-lock diff mod and ACD reflash will definitely help, but you should hold off on that until you understand the problem more. The diff mod in my '03 totally changed the dynamics of the cars handling.

Other points....

From your description of your driving, you are braking too late into the corner. This is the best way to induce understeer, period. Brake early, brake hard so you can "present the car to the corner". Ideally, you want to finish all the braking before you start turning the wheel to enter the corner. Trail brake only to "set" the car on the line you want to navigate through the corner. Trail braking should not be used to slow the car down, only to adjust the attitude of the car in the corner. AWD cars with front and rear LSDs are really sensitive to trail braking so use it sparingly.

I would really recommend that you try some autocross events in your area if you haven't already. Autocrossing isn't much of a motorsport, but it does let you explore the extreme limits of your handling issues in a safer environment than some random mountain road.

good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Still want to know spring rates.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
*stiff REAR damping/compression* wont work. this is stopping the fronts from unloading
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:11 AM

Thnx for all the tips I evened out the air and the shock settings and its over all a lot better and my spring rates are 8k front 10k rear

Quick Reply: Understeer with LSD Need Help With Setup?