Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front vs Rear sway bar thickness?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Front vs Rear sway bar thickness?

I already have 266mm adjustable rear sway bar.
Im looking to upgrade my front sway bar as well.
I was wondering what the rules of thumb were for front/rear combination.

Do you want same thickness front and back?
do you want one side thicker than the other?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

opinions?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
You won't find much in the way of consensus, because like most car setup questions the answer is "it depends"

What is the primary use you're optimizing for? Track? AutoX? Daily?

What tires, suspension, spring rates, and alignment settings are you using? A lot of people advocate dialing everything else in first, then using the sway bars for gentle fine-tuning. On the other end of the spectrum, you can find some tarmac rally setups using insane sway bar sizes. I think Ralliart makes the biggest one available.

Some of it will come down to your preferences and driving style. Your best bet is to get and adjustable rear bar and adjustable mounts for the front bar. Then tweak and test until you're happy.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
You won't find much in the way of consensus, because like most car setup questions the answer is "it depends"

What is the primary use you're optimizing for? Track? AutoX? Daily?

What tires, suspension, spring rates, and alignment settings are you using? A lot of people advocate dialing everything else in first, then using the sway bars for gentle fine-tuning. On the other end of the spectrum, you can find some tarmac rally setups using insane sway bar sizes. I think Ralliart makes the biggest one available.

Some of it will come down to your preferences and driving style. Your best bet is to get and adjustable rear bar and adjustable mounts for the front bar. Then tweak and test until you're happy.
i see. i was thinking about more track days/ autox type setup. i didnt wanna go too thick tho by getting a 26mm up front.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I trust this:

Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Im guessing the numbers after the d are the size in mm, correct?

Doesnt the material that the bars are made out of as well as the construction whether its solid or hollow also come into play?

I guess as its already been stated every setup is different. Personally I would go with one that is adjustable or purchase an adjustable mount such as the Cusco piece so you can fine tune it to your liking.

For example when I got my Perrin RSB I was told to put it on full stiffness which I had it on for a while. Then I tried the middle setting and now I am on the softest setting. Its a little bit of trial and error and you will find what suits you best eventually.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:34 PM
EvoM Community Team

Yes, that's in MM.

Front 26-29MM
Rear 24-27MM

The really interesting thing to note is that these numbers are COMPLETELY different from what everyone on the forums has been repeating over and over. Everyone says to run a larger rear bar, but clearly this race team suggests the opposite.

Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Really, I always thought the larger bar was the front and thought that was the general consensus. Nonetheless, I guess that actually is the case.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Yes, that's in MM.

Front 26-29MM
Rear 24-27MM

The really interesting thing to note is that these numbers are COMPLETELY different from what everyone on the forums has been repeating over and over. Everyone says to run a larger rear bar, but clearly this race team suggests the opposite.

very interesting info
thank you.

so i will probably get the thickest up front and adjust my rear.
or just take the middle of both sides and go with same size front and back
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Yes, that's in MM.

Front 26-29MM
Rear 24-27MM

Like I mentioned above, the Ralliart guys are big fans of huge sway bars. But keep in mind that they are optimizing for tarmac rally stages, so there are plenty of other factors in play.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone remember the Wall Street Journal dart fund? In essence, the editors threw darts at the financial section of the book and bought the stocks/securities marked by the resulting indentations. That's what this thread is like. Not just this thread, but almost every discussion on this board. Tossing darts hoping for a strike. Look around, see any of the knowledgeable suspension guys that used to respond to almost every thread? No? But, no need to fret. golgo13 and his Prius (for real) are here to guide the community.

How fun!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
I already have 266mm adjustable rear sway bar.
Im looking to upgrade my front sway bar as well.
I was wondering what the rules of thumb were for front/rear combination.

Do you want same thickness front and back?
do you want one side thicker than the other?

Thanks!
Is the rest of your suspension stock?

Stock suspension with a big rear bar is ideal IMHO. Big rear bar on the stock suspension provides much better turn in, handling balance, and front traction. Adding a bigger bar on the front is going to dial back in understeer.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Is the rest of your suspension stock?

Stock suspension with a big rear bar is ideal IMHO. Big rear bar on the stock suspension provides much better turn in, handling balance, and front traction. Adding a bigger bar on the front is going to dial back in understeer.
What happens when the OP overcooks a corner and the pavement is a bit damp/loose, or the temps are low and the tires aren't up, or all of the above - as if that never happens. Who will pay for the mess of broken glass and bent metal? You?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I trust this:

I concur on (^) this!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by FJF
no need to fret. golgo13 and his Prius (for real) are here to guide the community.

How fun!

Good to see you too, dude.

People can run whatever they want, I'm just offering my opinion and my source.

Most people will spout off whatever they think is best because it's what they run. I'll trust an opinion that's backed with a source.

EDIT: Get some of the suspension gurus with experience to explain why that source I've posted is incorrect and I'll gladly stop posting it around the forum and repeat their teachings as 'gospel' no problem.

Last edited by golgo13; Jun 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Front vs Rear sway bar thickness?