Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help Me Decide on New Tires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Decide on New Tires

When it comes to tires, I understand the basics but I am still a noob at it.

I don't auto cross, I don't race or any of the sort, but I live in NV, so I was looking on tire rack at a few choices.

Definitely looking at an all season tire as I am too lazy to have two sets of tires.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric All Season

Hankook Ventus S1 Noble

Kumho Ecsta 4X

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Personally I'd go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (1st choice) or Continental ExtremeContact DW (without the S) (2nd choice) especially since you're in Nevada.

Both tires work great dry or wet, with the Michelines edging out the Continental in the Dry and viceversa in the wet.

I wanted the PSS but they were to expensive at the time so I went with the DW's. Those darn things WILL NOT QUIT when it's raining, it's almost insane especially with the Evo's AWD system.. let's put it this way if I lived in Seattle I wouldn't run anything but them.

On the other hand the PSS get rave reviews everywhere for being competent in the rain (read great) and have almost track tire like grip levels in the dry. It's no coincidence Ferrari runs those on their 458s from the factory instead of the usual Pirellis... That says a lot.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you need an All-Season tire? What is your budget?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Of the tires on your list, the Hankook, Goodyear, and Bridgestone I'd rank as the best handling of the bunch. Of those three, my top two would be Hankook and B-Stone. Conti would work well in areas that see accumulation of snow, but otherwise will be a bit softer handling in warmer climates. Kumho best option for spending the least amount, but there are better out there.

Call me when ready!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:44 PM

I really enjoy Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Daily driving is great and wear seems to be good, however I do autox with them too so it's hard to say how much is from regular use. It shouldn't be an issue for you but I will say they are terrible in snow (can't expect them to be good though), rain isn't bad at all, good predictable grip. I will try a different brand for my next set though just to see. I do love the PSS though, not a bad tire and I think it will be a good suitable tire for your drivin style.
Ps, I'm running 235/40/18