Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear sway bar or acd tune next mod???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear sway bar or acd tune next mod???

Looking to see what would be more beneficial as a mod for autocross? I have a 06 mr with tien springs and rear diff clutch fixed. talked to someone who said i should do a stiffer rear bar. and no I dont want to do coilovers or different springs at this time. I plan on doing both but what one first ?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Upgrading the rear bar wont be beneficial to your current setup. It would be better to go with the ACD tune. Also keep the stock rear sway bar.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
Upgrading the rear bar wont be beneficial to your current setup. It would be better to go with the ACD tune. Also keep the stock rear sway bar.
There was a guy at the last autocross with a 04 rs that said the rear bar upgrade helped a bunch. he does not have the rear diff mod and has swift springs on stock struts.
Why do you say to keep the stock rear bar? from what I have read you keep the stock rear bar and go stiffer springs or softer springs and stiffer rear bar?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
To answer your question ACD tune for sure. However, I know you stated that you don't want to swap springs but here it goes anyway. Get rid of those springs! Its clear you are looking to improve the handling of your vehicle and its known that those particular springs are too low and too soft so you are doing yourself a disservice by running them. Swap in the stock springs or find a set of Swift Spec-R GTWorx or Robispec Springs and thank me later
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
To answer your question ACD tune for sure. However, I know you stated that you don't want to swap springs but here it goes anyway. Get rid of those springs! Its clear you are looking to improve the handling of your vehicle and its known that those particular springs are too low and too soft so you are doing yourself a disservice by running them. Swap in the stock springs or find a set of Swift Spec-R GTWorx or Robispec Springs and thank me later
I know I want to have my cake and eat it too lol, I like the way the car sits as far as height and am aware of it being too low in the front and affecting the way it handles. What do you think about the roll center kit that is supposed to help with bump steer and bring the lowered car closer to factory specs? I do plan on getting coilovers but just cant afford it at this time and dont want to buy other springs just to swap them out with coilovers.

Looks like Ill do the ACD tune. Who do you think has a better tune TS comp or English?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Unless you are willing to drop ~3k on coilovers do not bother. You are much better off with Bilsteins good springs like I mentioned prior and adjustable plates camber and caster if possible.

You mentioned you dont have the money to spend on coils now so let me throw this back at you. Do you have the $ to replace your Bilsteins that will blow prematurely with those springs? Swapping springs is cake as well as simply removing the suspension on this car so don't be lazy

Im merely trying to help here bud so I hope Im not being too harsh.

As for your other questions, yes the WL RCC is great and will help. But once again it would be even better with proper springs

As for ACD tune, I can't comment on the ER vs Tscomp since I don't have experience with Tom's but I will tell you that I chose to go with ER's flash and certainly noticed a difference. Search around on here as there are a couple decent reviews from Dallas (one of the testers) and Kyoo.

Good luck and oh get rid of those springs! LOL!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
acd tune, i chose rear bar because i dont have acd, so that made my choice easy lol.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 02:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBISPEC-EVO-8-9-LOWERING-KIT-03-06-LANCER-EVO-/291132254531?hash=item43c8d5a943&vxp=mtr
I picked these up for $75 shipped. The only thing wrong with them is the logo is upside down.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wheelie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBISPEC-EVO-8-9-LOWERING-KIT-03-06-LANCER-EVO-/291132254531?hash=item43c8d5a943&vxp=mtr
I picked these up for $75 shipped. The only thing wrong with them is the logo is upside down.
not a bad deal
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by sssr20det510
There was a guy at the last autocross with a 04 rs that said the rear bar upgrade helped a bunch. he does not have the rear diff mod and has swift springs on stock struts.
Why do you say to keep the stock rear bar? from what I have read you keep the stock rear bar and go stiffer springs or softer springs and stiffer rear bar?
The rear diff setup from the factory makes the Evo experience understeer when going into a turn. By restacking the rear diff the Evo is easier to rotate and now has a touch of oversteer in the rear.

From my personal experience when the rear diff was stock and I installed a rear sway bar the Evo wanted to oversteer. It was like a drift machine, however, the rear end grip was lower than stock. I corrected this by setting up the rear bar on soft and that gave me a touch of oversteer.

When the rear diff is restacked it works better with the OEM rear sway bar. This is because the rear end grip increases because the diff is now working correctly and the oem rear sway isn't interfering with the diff by transferring the weight. If you were running a larger rear sway it would decrease the roll but also increase weight transfer. That is why you see Evos with big rear sway bars tripod all day long.

4 wheel grip > 3 wheel grip
Old Apr 2, 2015, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
The rear diff setup from the factory makes the Evo experience understeer when going into a turn. By restacking the rear diff the Evo is easier to rotate and now has a touch of oversteer in the rear.

From my personal experience when the rear diff was stock and I installed a rear sway bar the Evo wanted to oversteer. It was like a drift machine, however, the rear end grip was lower than stock. I corrected this by setting up the rear bar on soft and that gave me a touch of oversteer.

When the rear diff is restacked it works better with the OEM rear sway bar. This is because the rear end grip increases because the diff is now working correctly and the oem rear sway isn't interfering with the diff by transferring the weight. If you were running a larger rear sway it would decrease the roll but also increase weight transfer. That is why you see Evos with big rear sway bars tripod all day long.

4 wheel grip > 3 wheel grip
thanks for the good explanation looks like I'll keep the stock rear bar.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 09:17 PM

Not sure what class you're running in but unless it's SM the acd tune is illegal. It may be even illegal in SM. I know B street, STU and possibly ASP it isn't allowed.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 05:26 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ACD tunes are legal in SM.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by chu
ACD tunes are legal in SM.

Thank you for clarifying!