Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brake pads?

These stock pads are getting down there. I want something that is good for the street mostly but wont fad at the track or under hard driving..... Thoughts
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with Hawk, EBC green stuff, or Feroda ( I know I spelled it wrong) Their all great pads. make sure you get the appropriate temp. rating. Otherwise it's fade and brakedust all the way.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

As you will soon find out, when asking questions like this you will get 10 different answers from 10 different people That's mostly because most people here have only used 1 or 2 different types of pads on their evos and most likely have good success with them.

As such, my vote is for the Endless pads. If you are not familiar with Endless - it is the same Japanese company that makes the Zeal suspension pieces. Anyway, I have run both their CC-R (pure track pads) and CC-X compunds on my car and considering what you said above the CC-X would work great for you. I ran these pads at Summit Point last month and they perfrormed great. I also use them during autoxs as well as on the street. They don't squeel and suprisingly don't dust much either. In cold temps they need to be warmed up slightly before reaching max performance, but this will not affect you on the street. I usually just put my left foot over the break pedal as I am rolling towards the start to warm them up. Again on the street it does not matter. They work just fine.

You may also try their Super -S pad, which are cheaper and more street oriented than the CC-X. Chris from Cali (from HB or from wherever he is now ) has them on his car so he can tell you more.

You may also wanna try Ferrodo 2500 as people are generally happy with them on the street and during spirited driving. Carbotech makes great pads but unfortunately we have a squeel issue with their Bobcat pads (aparently is Evo-only problem). Hawk and Porterfield is also good. I would stay away from EBC Green, but again it all depends on the type of driving you will do (and how you will do it). Its really a very subjective topic.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wojo

You may also wanna try Ferrodo 2500 as people are generally happy with them on the street and during spirited driving. Carbotech makes great pads but unfortunately we have a squeel issue with their Bobcat pads (aparently is Evo-only problem). Hawk and Porterfield is also good. I would stay away from EBC Green, but again it all depends on the type of driving you will do (and how you will do it). Its really a very subjective topic.

Hope this helps.
I would 2nd the comment about the EBCs. The Greens are great for cars under 3000lb. The Reds would be better but do eat up the rotor. I personly really like the OEM Brembo pads but that's just me.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ferrodo 2500 with not problems at all , dont get the project mu pads they are not as good.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
I have the ferrodo 2500 with not problems at all , dont get the project mu pads they are not as good.
I have the same, Ferodo DS2500. They Rock!
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wojo
As you will soon find out, when asking questions like this you will get 10 different answers from 10 different people That's mostly because most people here have only used 1 or 2 different types of pads on their evos and most likely have good success with them.

As such, my vote is for the Endless pads. If you are not familiar with Endless - it is the same Japanese company that makes the Zeal suspension pieces. Anyway, I have run both their CC-R (pure track pads) and CC-X compunds on my car and considering what you said above the CC-X would work great for you. I ran these pads at Summit Point last month and they perfrormed great. I also use them during autoxs as well as on the street. They don't squeel and suprisingly don't dust much either. In cold temps they need to be warmed up slightly before reaching max performance, but this will not affect you on the street. I usually just put my left foot over the break pedal as I am rolling towards the start to warm them up. Again on the street it does not matter. They work just fine.

You may also try their Super -S pad, which are cheaper and more street oriented than the CC-X. Chris from Cali (from HB or from wherever he is now ) has them on his car so he can tell you more.

Hope this helps.
Thanks wojo. That's what I needed to hear. I will now look into the ferrodo 2500 or endless CC-X.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

does hawk pads definetly produce less brake dust? i want pads w/ good bite but im sick and tired of brake dust on my rims..
Old Jun 20, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

who carries the endless CC-x's?

need pads urgently!!

thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

try Z1 for endless, also works carries/rebrands their stuff.

I run DS2500 got them on a recomendation from a board member through Raceshopper.com they were cheap really cheap compared to what vivid wanted for the pads.

I run them 24/7 no probs at all and couldnt cook them on Laguana Seca which has to 100+ mph straits int sharp turn that I was entering at 25-35 mph. on top of that they are back to back and I had no fade issues.

Last edited by absinthe; Jun 21, 2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

How's the inital bite of the DS2500 compare to stock? I'm very interested about getting these pads.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

i just ordered the ds2500 from raceshopper.com.. shipped out same day!

165 for front and 69 for the rears! huge savings from OEMs... and from what i hear they rock!

Last edited by RENN-ART; Jun 21, 2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:52 PM

The initial bite is stronger with the Ferodo. When autocrossing an Evo with stock pads against an Evo with the Ferodo DS2500, the Ferodo bite much harder with the initial pedal application. My friend claimed not to like the Ferodo feel because he said the brakes came on too hard, but I like the Ferodo effect. I recommend the Ferodo; I have also run them at two big tracks and never had to worry about my brakes at all (except for cooling them off after each lapping session like you do in ANY car).

As for dusting, the stock pads, the Ferodos and Hawk HP Plus all dust a lot. I've been happy with Hawks in the past too, but haven't run them on an Evo.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

after about 3 weeks of using these ferodos, i must say it's a must upgrade for any evo owner!! get them now!!

this is how these brakes were meant to be!!!

no additional squeek (when installed correctly with caliper greese), no additional dust, incredible braking power that you've never felt before... and lastly.. THEY'RE WAY CHEAPER THAN STOCK PADS!!!
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

From experience as Wojo stated, I really like the SS-S Endless pads. I drove the hell out of them on some twisting MD roads for over 4 hours and they held up brilliantly (I had 85% left when I had them checked in CA). From word of mouth (and Sport Compact Car's writeup), I've heard only great things about Ferodo DS2500s as well. I'd avoid some of the more aggressive pads like CC-Xs due to rotor wear. Good luck!

Quick Reply: What brake pads?