Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

BAD BAD BAD Front CV axles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAD BAD BAD Front CV axles

Anyone else had their CV axles go out with 5600 or less miles on it. My dealership told me that i was the first evo brought in that had a problem with the CV axles. Anyway my RH axle was popping i took it in and the axle was replaced under warranty. Then a week after I got my MR back the other side started popping. Quiet first and few and far between but then it got louder and more noticeable. Anyway just wanted to say that you guys turn your radio off, roll your windows down, back outta your driveways and turn those wheels to the locks. If you hear a pop or a clicking noise.... might wanna get it checked out. My MR is there right now. Can't wait to get her back.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think my car does this too. It doesn't happen very often, but until now I've never known what it was. It's kind of a strange noise, almost like the sound that an aluminum bat makes when it hits a baseball, just no where near as loud. It seems to happen when backing out of my driveway when at full steering lock, so this has to be the same thing that you are describing. Unfortunately, I think the problem is just a defect in design and if you replace the CV joints with new ones, the same thing will happen again. It's like the transmission problems that the Xs have; a few people have actually had their trannies replaced under warranty because they were crunching/grinding so much and guess what? The new trannies did the same thing. Good ole mitsu .

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I noticed the "pop" sound a couple times in the last few weeks myself. I'll pay more attention in the future and see what happens.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the heads up. But you should never turn the wheel all the way to the lock position, once you get there you should back away from it a bit to not stress the motor.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Thank you for the heads up. But you should never turn the wheel all the way to the lock position, once you get there you should back away from it a bit to not stress the motor.
This is very true. I wasn't saying that i keep it at lock but this pop is right around the lock position if you run it to lock and back off 5 degrees it will still pop. Now whether or not they are going to do it again i don't know but they opened the CV per mitsu and found flat spots on the rollers inside the CV. I am just giving the heads up. Axles tend to be pretty expensive.........
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:43 PM

mine does it, thought the tire was rubbing at first but its def that.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

ya for some reason its super easy for the front axles to pop out. my friend and i popped out my front axle while simply rotating the wheel a little bit when putting on coilovers =\

really wierd.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may have an obvious answer, but does the MR have different front CV axles than the GSR? I'm guessing they could have kept the dimensions the same relative to the diff and transfer case, but I dunno.

May not matter anyway considering I'm sure the design of the axles is the same, even if the dimensions vary a little.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on the question above, do the two different cars have different cv axles?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

The service manual doesn't mention there being any differences.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right, it doesn't. If I had new data for CAPS I could check there.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

The good ol 10 flaw that sucks.. wonder what causes this especially at 5600 miles.. good think replaced under warranty.. next they will deny this under warranty..
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Not to sound stupid, but all it does is make a popping noise? Or does it get worse?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Its not a big deal right now but it will get worse and eventually the axle will fail. NOt like its going to happen tommorow or the next day but it would eventually come.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

people who say they hear this when backing up and then going forward...... its your brake rotors, when you brake when in reverse is shifts your rotors to the one side of the lug nuts which makes a POP....then again when you brake again in 1st gear and u get the same pop....don't confuse this pop with the CV joint

Quick Reply: BAD BAD BAD Front CV axles