Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is a good coolant?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a good coolant?

When I change out my coolant hoses I will need to replace the lost coolant. What is the right/best brand coolant to top off the level with? How would I bleed air from the system or will the surge tank take care of this for me?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sure there are different opinions regarding which brand works...i usually get the 50/50 premixed coolant.

to bleed the system, you open your radiator cap, and then use a funnel to pour in coolant from that end. watch the bubbles flow out, repeat until no more bubbles appear.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i dont drive my car in the winter months so i use straight distilled water. i would not do this on a car that see's winter months
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:48 PM

50/50 Prestone will do you just fine. If you want to save a couple bucks use concentrate and distilled water. Make sure you get the mixture right so you don't freeze though. Better too much anti-freeze than too little. Use some water wetter too if you want. It helps from what I've read/heard.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i dont drive my car in the winter months so i use straight distilled water. i would not do this on a car that see's winter months
So in the winter time your motor basically freezes over??? I don't think that is good. I understand you don't drive in the winter time, but I imagine it still gets pretty cold in Jersey, and a frozen motor??? Hmmm...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
Just be aware that part of the reason people use some coolant is for corrosion prevention so you may have to change that water out every 6-12 months. Water Wetter has some corrosion prevention in it's mixture and does indeed increase the amount of heat transfer that is possible between the fluid and the radiator core for increased efficiency.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
THIS:

Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

what the heck are you thinking putting in pure distilled water???
even in hot weather states like cali, hardcore guys STILL add water wetter to their distilled water for corrosion resistance..... you think distilled water is good for storing cars in the nj winter? lol
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:50 AM

Yeah use the good stuff wherever you go (no NAPA pun). Distilled water only?? This belongs in the FAQ section I would think.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I ran pure distilled water with 2 bottles of water wetter in a new radiator. I ran MUCH cooler with no issues... except I couldn't do the throttle reset since my ECT never went above 185 even when I drove it like I stole it.

Untill monday. It hit horribly freezing temps here (single digits during the day) and when I went for lunch.. I watched my ECTs climb.. 170...180...190...200....210...230....240... SHUTOFF! Scary..
Turns out the water that was in there froze inside the radiator. It had a bit of residual coolant left in the lines from when i replaced the radiator, but far from enough to avoid freezing. (Yes, I know I should have drained and filled with proper antifreeze.. but I was too lazy after ripping apart a bunch of other stuff)

It's now actually running 50/50 with no problems. Radiator wasn't cracked, all coolant lines are dry.. whew.

Last edited by saytheb; Dec 11, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just use 50/50 Prestone & Water Wetter.

Never had issues and works well.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the guys running straight water or close to it, be very very careful. Popping freeze plugs is pretty common, but don't be surprised if your block cracks.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

yeah he's totally ignorant about why people run mostly water.... for cooling properties with some sacrifice on corrosion resistance in VERY hot conditions... this guys not even driving it in NJ winter but has 100% water HAHAHA
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

the amsoil stuff which uses propylene glycol is safe for you as a human too. normal antifreeze is made with ethylene glycol which is toxic, propylene glycol on the other hand is a key staple for many liquid medical products (syrups etc) certainly safe for you and your kids.

"best coolant" for racing is distilled water with water wetter.

best coolant for everyday driving especially in cold weather climates is probably a 50/50 mix. all antifreezes are essentially the same, they use ethylene glycol and a colorant and varying amounts of water (premix stuff). trust me i worked for a company that made the colorant for prestone antifreeze and it was no big secret. all these ingredients run the company pennies per gallon and they charge you $5 for it. go figure.

the amsoil stuff is different in that it uses propylene glycol which is "food safe". if that matters to you then go for that, if not buy what's discounted.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:28 PM

thinkin air cooled when I get one. if the mod hasent already been done of course

Quick Reply: What is a good coolant?