Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock frame turbo options these days?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Stock frame turbo options these days?

What are our options these days for a good reliable stock frame turbo upgrade? I'd rather not have to send out my stock turbo to be upgraded, but if that's the only option then so be it. Looking to make over 400, even up to 450 on 91 pump. I see bad reviews on the Garretts and not even sure if the BBX is being produced any longer, or if FP is still in the game and their quality is what it used to be. I'd rather have BB over JB if possible. So what's out there these days?
Thanks guys!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fp Black should work. I'm making 425 on pump gas at the wheels with bolt ons and stock cams. A little late spoiling dependibg what you want to do with it but great for a daily because you stay out of boost more then an early spoiling turbo.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
Fp Black should work. I'm making 425 on pump gas at the wheels with bolt ons and stock cams. A little late spoiling dependibg what you want to do with it but great for a daily because you stay out of boost more then an early spoiling turbo.
Thought about FP Black, but I've been reading threads lately regarding insufficient crank case ventilation problems and oil seals crapping out. Also read that FP isn't making stock frame bolt on replacement turbos any longer and that the quality of their products isn't what is used to be.
IDK how true any of this is.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you hear bad about Garretts? They are near bulletproof. The problem is people improperly size them for their application and they can surge when boost control is not tuned properly. For your power level a GTX3071 would be near perfect. If you want more you can go with the 3576. I recommend staying away from the 3076. It doesn't have enough compressor for the turbine size and doesn't perform well on these cars.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Dross99_si
Thanks for the info. Any other suggestions?
You could hit 400whp on pump gas with a MHI-18K on pump gas with bolt-ons and some cams. Perfect street turbo in my opinion.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and I have on bnib ported option for sale.. I just built my engine and I want a more aggressive setup.. stupid on my part but whatevs hmu if you decide on getting a 18k
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IRPerformance
What do you hear bad about Garretts? They are near bulletproof. The problem is people improperly size them for their application and they can surge when boost control is not tuned properly. For your power level a GTX3071 would be near perfect. If you want more you can go with the 3576. I recommend staying away from the 3076. It doesn't have enough compressor for the turbine size and doesn't perform well on these cars.
So do you really think the stock frame GTX3071R can get me up to 450WHP on CA 91 octane? Or should I just go for the bigger GTX3576R?
This is a stock block, cams, head & IM motor. I do have most other supporting mods though as listed in my sig.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:37 PM

get a 3576R if you want that kind of power on pump fuel.

3071 would probably need E85 for help.

dunno where you heard garrett turbo are bad??
Old Apr 20, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doom26464
get a 3576R if you want that kind of power on pump fuel.

3071 would probably need E85 for help.

dunno where you heard garrett turbo are bad??
Just reading old threads I hear some people say the Garrett turbos aren't very good and others really like them on the EVO X. I'm willing to give them a shot.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Your title asks for stock frame turbo options. While the Garrett series can be mated to the stock manifold and down pipe per the ATP kit, it still is not a stock frame turbo. They come as a kit and are more expensive than a aftermarket stock frame turbo that gets bolted in. To me the ATP kits are an in between solution, between T3 and stock frame. You can make more power than with a stock frame. IMO stay stock frame on a stock motor and get a T3 or EFR kit on a built motor. A GTX35 on pump 91 @ 25 psi does not sound ideal in my opinion.
Stock frame turbos: FP are all BB now, BBX are all BB now, I have a MAP EF4 making over your number getting 20 psi at 4200 rpm at 7000 feet. EF3 might get you there too. Any of those larger stock frames would benefit from an upgraded or ported manifold. If you insist on BB, I would suggest BBX full, but I also really like my EF4

Last edited by chriswolf81; Apr 21, 2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by chriswolf81
Your title asks for stock frame turbo options. While the Garrett series can be mated to the stock manifold and down pipe per the ATP kit, it still is not a stock frame turbo. They come as a kit and are more expensive than a aftermarket stock frame turbo that gets bolted in. To me the ATP kits are an in between solution, between T3 and stock frame. You can make more power than with a stock frame. IMO stay stock frame on a stock motor and get a T3 or EFR kit on a built motor. A GTX35 on pump 91 @ 25 psi does not sound ideal in my opinion.
Stock frame turbos: FP are all BB now, BBX are all BB now, I have a MAP EF4 making over your number getting 20 psi at 4200 rpm at 7000 feet. EF3 might get you there too. Any of those larger stock frames would benefit from an upgraded or ported manifold. If you insist on BB, I would suggest BBX full, but I also really like my EF4
CBRD BBX's are no longer available. However Blouch is coming out with some new(er) turbos that are pretty close.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chriswolf81
My mistake. I guess I shouldn't have said stock frame turbo. Stock replacement turbo would have been more accurate, as in a turbo that will bolt to the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
CBRD BBX's are no longer available. However Blouch is coming out with some new(er) turbos that are pretty close.
They are already available-

basically the bbx lite and full

I only typically recommend ball bearing in the stock housing- for best reliability!

we also have our new RB-X kits utilizing EFR turbos on our website- (of which we have already sold 10 kits in less than a month- so they are really taking off)

cb
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
They are already available-

basically the bbx lite and full

I only typically recommend ball bearing in the stock housing- for best reliability!

we also have our new RB-X kits utilizing EFR turbos on our website- (of which we have already sold 10 kits in less than a month- so they are really taking off)

cb
Which Blouch is equivalent to the BBX full? And will this turbo fit the bill for me?

Quick Reply: Stock frame turbo options these days?