Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Eventful Evo X Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eventful Evo X Day

Forunately, all in good ways. Once I wrapped up my last-minute Christmas preparations, I got to get on with my Christmas present to myself which arrived last night.
Actually, let's back it up..
Monday my box from Perrin arrived. I went with the 1 inch shorty antenna (Sirius, iPod, and living near all the FM stations I listen to FTW) which is an obvious improvement in looks- I'll post some pictures of the car with it installed soon. Also got the drop-in filter, definitely noticed some improved breathing which I'm guessing was exacerbated by the fact that the car is already exhaling great with a full turboback exhaust. So the slight increase in turbo noise, better breathing, and improved looks will probably be the most dramatic <$100 worth of mods I'll ever be able to do to the Evo. Nothing too groundbreaking here but I will gladly write some mini-reviews after the holidays since I know I always like being able to easily search and gather information when I'm deciding on a product.

Back to today... I opened up my box from AMS last night after the Mavs game and quickly realized why I spent roughly double what "some" companies offer their UICPs for. You can tell AMS' piece is as quality as they come and that it was going to fit and make a huge difference. Everytime I opened the stock engine bay, I cringed a little seeing those freaking rubber hoses connecting the "hot side" of the intercooler-turbo relationship. I could squeeze them completely shut with my still-healing recently broken right hand. Not good. So after trying to sleep through the night knowing that I had additional horsepower and bling sitting on the table outside my room, I installed the pipe today. Anyways, I'll save the gory details for the review, but as most people on here know, the UICP is a great mod. I was very pleased with the ease of installation on it and AMS really is worth the money. More elaboration and comments to come in a separate thread, but my initial reaction is in terms of looks and performance. It definitely feels smoother and the fact that I can't really notice it is something that I would consider a good thing. That might seem odd, but with an engine that is inheritly peaky, everything we do to smooth it out and add some ponies without significantly modifying boost is alright with me! Car feels smoother, more linear, and happier than ever before. It's breathing and cooling right, now I've got two more minor goodies and a dyno tune at Cobb Plano coming for the New Year.

Finally, the big "event" of the day. Several of ya'll commented on me surviving the drive home from Alabama with no tags. Well, they're on order but still not in so I've been daily driving the car completely plate-less and after passing dozens of cops, I finally got stopped today while I was driving super slow listening/testing for leaks on the UICP (there were none). I saw a cop pulling off of a side street onto the street I was on and I was just coasting not making any noise or even remotely speeding. I watched him turn out behind me then suddenly follow as I turned at the next stop sign. Suddenly I saw red, white, and blue and immediately knew that my luck had run out. I put on my hazards, pulled into an empty parking lot, windows down, key on the dash (even though it's keyless ), car off.. I have been carrying a copy of the Bill of Sale around and have a temporary insurance card so I was fully covered but worried about the hassle I might receive for driving in a loud, winged monster with no tags. The following is not an exaggeration in any way (and I usually don't cuss, so I very astutely noticed what he said):
Officer: Good afternoon, are you aware that you don't have any license plates displayed on your vehicle?
Me: Yes sir, I recently bought the car out of state and the plates couldn't transfer. I've got new plates on order, they just haven't come in yet.
Officer: Well, alright. They usually will e-mail or fax you some paper versions to display in the window so that guys like me don't give you a hard time. Man... I bet this thing hauls A$$! Is it fast? Do you want to race??
Me: Excuse me? I plead the fifth! I really can't comment on any of that sir, I just bought it.
Officer: Whatever, I already know the answer to those questions. What'll it do? How much did you pay for it?
Me: $2x,xxx. I just installed a couple of new parts, want to take a look?
Officer: Hold on, let me go run your license just so I can pretend that I'm doing something useful.
waiting.......... Reflecting on what just happened and wondering if it was a trick or a trap. This area is notorious for its stingy cops and brutal speedtraps, but this was a Fort Worth officer and not one of the suburb speeding ticket mongers.
He walks back to the car.
Officer: Well.. No tickets(!). You're due for a new drivers license pretty soon.
Me: Thank you very much, I'm getting on it right after the holiday season.
Officer: (laughed) I know how that place goes... You might want to get some plates or those temporary printouts on here soon before one of the d!ck cops pulls you over and gives you a real (swatting at a mosquito) F*CK these things! ... Sorry. Before one of the other officers pulls you over and busts your a$$ about the plates and everything else. Anyways, you have a really sweet new car man, enjoy it and happy holidays!
Me: :cool :

I try to support the Police and their true efforts to serve and protect. Just like any job with tons of members, some will always do things that suck. But they are more of an exception than a rule. Certainly those that are assigned speeding ticket duty are not happy to be doing it and are often forced by their department. I despise tickets, radar guns, and traffic cops as much as the next guy (they give me heart attacks every time I notice them hiding as I frantically check my speed), but it was refreshing to have an encounter with one of those epic police officers you read about every so often. God bless him and Merry Christmas to all Evo owners!! Be respectful and they'll usually appreciate your car too.

Long-winded read, so pics for clicks:

Last edited by johntesi; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats epic i wish i had a cop like that instead of the the one who gave me a ticket for "no mud guards"
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

WOW good story. There are a few nice ones out there..not many.

Here in VA... they would have you in their car and your X would be towed.

Old Dec 24, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

haha i love it , i want to meet him!!!
he sound like me hahaha,
Old Dec 24, 2009, 08:02 AM

Hahaha... good story. Good post!

Sounds like your Holiday season is going well!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 08:35 AM

thats awesome, when I used to have a STi, i was always on iwsti, and one of the fourm members was a cop. haha it was funny because every so offten (like you just did) would post about a cool cop, then the cop would pop up in the thread and be like " that was me, your car was sick!"

good times, glad you didnt get busted and im glad your enjoying the new ride
Old Dec 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

great story, wish my few encounters with the cops were like that
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
he might be a future evo owner. There are some police officers out there who owns evo's.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:35 AM

My 2 cop encounters didn't go as well. But 15 over is 15 over.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:47 AM

I had something just like that happen were I live, but it was highway patrol. They walked my car and we asking me questions about how fast it was and price and where he could go get one. What kind of mods are out there (the one asking most the questions was like 25 or 26). Then at the end i had been going 30 over and they gave me a no front plate ticket because they missed it on the other side of the bumper. lol. They i showed them and they laughed and i just had it signed off.. then as they were leaving the other guy said "man thanks for stopping. I have been out ran by this car before, these things are quick!"

Wish there were more cops out there like that.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 02:03 PM

You wouldnt happen to live in Ft. Worth would you? I swear I just saw your car today while I was on-site at a clients house.

Edit: Just read the Ft. Worth part. I was at the house next door, it has to be your EVO I saw since I saw no plates on it

Last edited by speed650; Dec 24, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: n
Old Dec 24, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speed650
You wouldnt happen to live in Ft. Worth would you? I swear I just saw your car today while I was on-site at a clients house.

Edit: Just read the Ft. Worth part. I was at the house next door, it has to be your EVO I saw since I saw no plates on it
Wow! I saw the RR Evo X and called the neighbors to ask who was over.. You're "the computer guy"? That was me. Crazy small world, enjoy the snow out there and be careful! You ever go to any of the NTEC meets?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 03:55 PM

LOL yeah I'm the "computer guy". I have gone to one NTEC meet back in April or March I dont remember. I am going to try to make it out to more meets. I'd like to check out your car since its modified. .
Old Dec 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well now that you literally know where to find me, you're more than welcome to come check out the car anytime! Send me a PM if you want or keep your eyes peeled at the NTEC meets.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Anyone have the cliff notes... I do like that stone driveway, I must be getting old.

Quick Reply: Eventful Evo X Day