Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Greddy Ti-c Comp turbo back question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greddy Ti-c Comp turbo back question

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me if the Greddy turbo back ti-c exhaust is street legal? Am i going to get a CEL if I install it? Cause I read on the website that the turbo back is a competition only exhaust. Don't know what's the difference between the cat back w/downpipe and a full turbo back exhuast. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

No turbo backs are "street legal" since you are taking off your catalytic converter. You will throw a cel unless you get the light tuned out or install o2 spacers. The first being easier of the two, since o2 spacers don't always work. Just a catback + downpipe will bolt on to the catalytic converter still keeping your emissions in check. To make a true turbo back, you are replacing your catalytic with a testpipe (straight pipe) which eliminates the catalytic converter.... which gains you the most horsepower...with the trade off of failing emission test.

If you aren't worried about making power then just get the Greddy Racing Ti-C. This doesn't come with the testpipe and downpipe. Pure catback only. You can bolt on a downpipe and testpipe at a later date without any problems, but your going to have to get it tuned.

If you want more power go with the competition for the full setup, but you will not pass emissions.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jan 23, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:53 PM

^^pretty much says it all. The only other thing I would add is that by getting just the catback, you have the option to put on a high-flow cat instead of a testpipe. You won't gain as much as a testpipe but you'll be street legal.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:36 PM

So basically, I should get a cat back and a downpipe so I could keep my stock cat to be street legal. I thought the Ti-c comp had all that. I was going to use the Cobb AP to run stage 2 on it, would that be considered a light tune? Is the exhaust going to be crazy loud without the cat or is it going to sound like the one on the youtube sound clip?

Last edited by terror75; Jan 23, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bump a old thread, but wait what?

I was always under the assumption.. that in Socal, if you had a downpipe you would not pass emissions.

Also, high-flow cat is also street legal?
Old May 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

High flow cats are only street legal in socal if you have the carb certification for them.

I had the greddy Ti-C turbo back on my car and I still passed emmissions in vegas. they didnt do a visual inspection, but I still smogged good.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Wow I remember I was in your boat just a couple months ago. I didn't know squat! But from the good people on here I'm a lil more educated lol. Anyway screw it go with a full tbe. May as well go all out. Also not all high flow cats are going to guarantee that you pass emissions. If your worried about that, just go catback. If not go all the way with a tbe, you won't regret it. When inspection time comes just swap the test for your oem cat. Oh and yes it will be loud. Ets v2 will make your car sound tough as hell. Good luck!
Old May 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Just the Greddy catback alone with an intake is hella loud. I speak from experience.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

i got the full turbo back with aem intake and a tune. you can hear my car from miles away 0.o
Old May 19, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

When you are talking about legalities of exhaust parts, there are generally a few things you are talking about.

The first is sound levels. Some areas have laws regarding the sound levels that you can produce. I believe in Texas its 95db. (Edit - this is not correct, Texas does not have a decibel based exhaust law.) I personally think this is stupid. Especially with all of the Harley's on the road. Ungodly loud.

Another is related to smog testing. In areas that do smog testing, your vehicle needs to be within the required limitations. Generally removing the cat for a test pipe will fail you. However, even a factory exhaust system can fail if other parts of the vehicle are not performing properly.

One other possible issue is in states that have specific requirements, like California with their California Air Research Board. Things like Intakes and Exhaust components have to be certified for street use in California. I lived in Northern Cali with a red 99 GSX with an o2 housing that dumped to atmosphere and I was not hassled a single time. People in the LA area or San Jose area have very different stories to tell about that.

So, when you ask if an exhaust is street legal, the first thing to note is where you live.

Quick edit - I did some googling for texas exhaust laws and here is the part that officers seem to be citing:

"Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation."

So, the citation is written implying that the noise created by the exhaust indicates it is not in good working order. Its not the kind of thing you can fight and win or disprove in any way.

Last edited by ProjectGSX; May 19, 2011 at 01:43 PM.