Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x blown motor warranty being denied !!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x blown motor warranty being denied !!

Hey guys, i have a 2008 evo x with 38k miles still under warranty . I purchased this car used about 3 months ago and motor blew on it. I bought the car from the dealer with an aftermarket full turbo back exhaust, intake and bov. My contract clearly states car is still under full warranty . Now there denying my coverage due to mods. Any help?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You took it to the same dealer you bought it from? If so that should be easily corrected with a simple call to an attorney.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Has the district rep for mitsu gotten involved? Technically speaking you car isn't covered. But they have to prove that those spicific modifications are what cause the engine failure. Have they atleast told you what failed in the engine yet? Get everything documented, all conversations and such.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, you bought the car modded from the dealer WITH a warranty, they have to warranty it with those same mods you bought it with.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

This question is not irrelevant, but I believe if they said it is still under warranty the way you bought it they need to cover it, however:

You said full turbo-back exhaust. Does it still have the cat-converter or a high-flow cat?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Did you buy it from a Mitsu dealer? If you did and they said the warranty was still valid then you have a chance.

If you bought it from a non-Mitsu dealer and they "said" it was under the factory warranty then you are potentially screwed as the non-Mitsu dealer doesn't know squat about the fact that if you so much as put an air freshener in your car then you have voided the factory warranty.

TBE, intake, and BOV= no warranty in the eyes of Mitsu
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:30 PM

Car was bought at a mitsubishi dealer , car was sold to me with exhaust and test pipe no cat. I took it to the dealer where i bought it from . They said warranty shouldnt have been issued because of mods but it was sold to me with warranty
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:36 PM

Lawyer up, should be easy to get them to cover it.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
Account Disabled

first of all, they sold the car to you without a catalytic converter... thats a BIG no no from a dealership. They can get in a huge amount of trouble just from that. (major fines) Second if you have all the papers from when you bought the car and the sheet with the warranty stating that it has warranty when you got it for x amount of miles and x amount of years then they need to cover it period end of story. If they don't get a lawyer. Your covered though don't worry. I had something similar happen to me like this and i ended up just returning the car to the dealership and getting cash back... and lots of it lol
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
b3n
Evolving Member

That's when you tell the dealer "tough sh*t, you committed to it, you fix it" and don't leave until they agree to do the work under warranty.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by kev2nice
Car was bought at a mitsubishi dealer , car was sold to me with exhaust and test pipe no cat. I took it to the dealer where i bought it from . They said warranty shouldnt have been issued because of mods but it was sold to me with warranty

Their mistake should not cost you money........go up the management chain.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember that if you tried shafting them even a few dollars, they would be going through every last resource to track you down and make your life hell. Ruthlessly.

Lawyer up as others said. You got this one. Here's the scorecard.

Bought car without cat: -1 Dealer
Dealer sold car with those mods and a warranty: +1 You
Car blew up: -1 You
--------------
You: 0
Dealer: -1

Make sure you have oil change receipts and hopefully a clean driving record. Use that to prove you're safe and maintaining the vehicle. Don't act too much like an enthusiast naming off every exact part of the car. That's a sign you may be a car guy and possibly at fault. After all you don't "modify" vehicles right? You just wanted this shiny car you saw that day in the lot. All you know is it's fast but you somehow without knowing what you were getting yourself into, received a car with no cat and some illegal modifications. Surely those are not your fault since you're so naive and innocent.

Saying you know the car inside and out means you knew *exactly* what you were getting yourself into and you may be a dangerous street racer. The dealership may claim the same thing that they had no idea. So if you knew there were mods and didn't refuse the car that may look bad.

(Not a lawyer)

Last edited by acidtonic; Oct 13, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

#1, it is against the law for them to sell you a car without a cat on it, end of story. Federal offense. I'd call them and mention that to them and that you are going to hire a lawyer over this, they will fix it.

Don't get me wrong, typically if a guy mods a car and it breaks I think he is an ******* for asking for a warranty, in this case, I feel you are in the right.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I also think ur car should be covered under warranty. I am curious tho, as to what happened, and how and where ware u driving it? What did blow up? Oil pan or what more exactley. Also, what kind of tune are you running? The dealership might have flashed it back to the stock programming.
Please share more details ...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cla2000
I also think ur car should be covered under warranty. I am curious tho, as to what happened, and how and where ware u driving it? What did blow up? Oil pan or what more exactley. Also, what kind of tune are you running? The dealership might have flashed it back to the stock programming.
Please share more details ...
dont answer these questions until u get settled..

Quick Reply: evo x blown motor warranty being denied !!