Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Living with a modded Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living with a modded Evo X

When I start talking to people about the mods I have on my 2013 Evo I start to wonder about taking my car to the dealer. I often worry about something going wrong with my car and then getting denied warranty claims when I would take it in. I know about the whole law suit and them needing to prove the modification caused the failure but I feel like it would still be an uphill battle.

For those of you that still have a factory warranty and have numerous mods on your cars, how do you feel about the possibility of having something major go wrong and then having to pay out of pocket for the repairs?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to pay if you wana play.

Don't worry so much.
I have my EVO modded for the past almost 40k miles with no issues.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TEJ789
how do you feel about the possibility of having something major go wrong and then having to pay out of pocket for the repairs?

This should be in your mind constantly and depends greatly on the mods you have done.

There are no guarantees in life or cars but having a new car warranty is fantastic.

I would be doing all services myself if I were you, or at the very least a trusted independent shop.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:34 PM

I do all my own oil changes, but milestone services like my upcoming 15k maintenance I want done by the dealer. Also, I still need my clutch master cylinder recall completed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TEJ789
Also, I still need my clutch master cylinder recall completed.
I would definitely make sure that was dealer changed/documented.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

The day I bought my X and drove off the lot, I never ever went back to Mitsu again... To keep it simple, if you're afraid of an issue, leave it stock. If not, **** the warranty and mod away
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:05 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I always buy used so I don't have to worry about that sh*t. But that's me
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:07 PM

Mods in signature.
I have the same concern tbh and that is why I don't rush on mods and only did mods/ plane to do mods that will have little impact to transmission and engine before warranty runs out.
Anything beyond that will make me worried.
If you find you are wondering, you probably don't have a deep pocket for your car.

So to answer your question,yes, I always know there will be something going wrong if I modify my car.
That is why I always prepare extra money aside for any major modification I do.

Example would be, if I lower my car, and get a set of rim, I would prepare a couple hundred for alignment, possibly hub rings or maybe any suspension arm kit just in case things go wrong.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i always modify them. if you do it right an treat them right, the Evo is super reliable.
you pick your goal and do that level right. Do NOT cheapen out. That is where the MOST problem occur.

Modified evo is a great car and such a pleasure to live with it
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:02 PM

I have all bolt ons on my car and my ac line leaked. Dealer would not warranty it claiming the after market intercooler pipe rubbed on the line. Then the oil feed line from the engine block to the turbo started leaking and they refused to cover it saying that the modifications caused vibrations and broke it. The dealer I went to are the worst. Mitsubishi evos are not so reliable. Modify them then they you are walking on egg shells. Have a second car is my biggest advice.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If u need warranty then leave your car stock.I dont care about warranty becus i do fix,upgrade my own sht.!most of the stock parts on the evos are crap neways.who needs warranty.?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:33 AM

Save all your oil change receipts. Failure to provide proof of such is a huge red flag that will deny you any kind of engine repair.

Also, if you do have a legitimate warranty claim, remove and reinstall most aftermarket parts.
I've yet to hear of an exhaust getting denied a warranty claim.

Case in point. I owned a 05 RX-8 previously. They made an extended warranty for 8yrs, 80k for the rotary engine core.
Mazda was very frugal and would attempt to deny a claim at any point. They even had a section for the service writers to note down any vehicle modifications during routine maintenance/ inspection when vehicles came in. Furthermore, they lurked on rx8club to deny claims as well.
The mods I had on my car was basically an intake and cat-back. During that time I had my transmission rebuilt and a remanufacturer engine installed.

That being said, light mods are no big deal.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
unless you completely build the engine and all that jazz, this car will be reliable with just basic bolt ons.

Been running 28 PSI on bolt ons and have had zero issues. I did get the timing chain replaced earlier than I expected because of a SES light (turns out I just needed the TSB done for false reading...) but I was going to get it done anyways at my 60K service. Even the timing chain was regular maintenance so I don't count that as being unreliable. Keep up with regular/proper maintenance and you will see no trouble from your car.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:54 AM

Like previously stated; you have to pay to play.

Most guys here don't have any problems. But...

On a car that dyno'd 384whp, I've had to replace(out of pocket)
Clutch master cylinder
Timing chain
rear diff
T-case
Tranny rebuilt(twice)
Diff pin failure(twice, even the shep revised pins failed)
The "new" SpecIII clutch that was installed by potato previous owner had to be replaced after 500 miles of buying the car

And now i'm on the verge of having the stock turbo go.

You take a HUGE risk with modifying cars/trucks. Things WILL eventually break.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:26 AM

You'll learn which dealerships are "mod friendly" and which ones are not.

I have over 20K in mods on mine and the dealership didn't bat an eye when I came in for the CMC recall. I was asked no less than 50 questions about the mods on my car, but it was all personal interest, nothing along the lines of denying the recall service.

With that being said, if I ever needed any engine or drivetrain work done, I wouldn't go back to the dealer for that anyway. If/when something breaks, it's upgrade time.

Quick Reply: Living with a modded Evo X