Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo x unibody/body panels question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo x unibody/body panels question

What is the chassis (unibody? right?) of the X made out of? Is it aluminum? I've searched the forums and googled a bit and didn't find anything particularly useful. I'm mostly interested in finding out if rust is going to be an issue and if i should start taking steps to prevent damage with anti-corrosion products

Also while we're on the topic, I know the hood and front fenders are made out of aluminum, but what are the doors and trunk made out of?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sell it if u don't know.lol
Old Jan 12, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Evo X is a skin-roof unibody of the typical sort (which is the next step up from stretched monocoque). The front fenders and roof are aluminum and non-structural. The hood, trunk, and doors are also non-structural, which is why they can all be swapped for something lighter, if you wish. The rest, including the rear fenders, is steel and structural. The key to the Evo X's torsional stiffness is the arch from the back edge of the front fender, over the doors, and down to the rear fender. These arches, combined with the cross-braces at the tops of the front and rear windows are what it make one of the stiffest cars made.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:46 PM

Gee, your response is a bit kryptic, no?

The question is not well clarified. Hood, roof and front fenders are aluminum. What about the doors? Rear quarter panels? Frame? Roof on a sunroof car?

For the clarification I would be VERY much obliged!!!

Also, if you know, what panels are aluminum on the Rally Art? Also, is the firewall double walled as in the EVO X?

Thank you much!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Grab a magnet and go mad, if it sticks, it's steel, if it doesn't it's aluminium.

But the body and panels that can't be removed will be steel, apart from the roof and boot lid.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Gee, I do realize that but in order to do that just a magnet is insufficient! On needs the car, too! So, you supply the car and I'll supply the magnet. Deal? Deal!

Your answer implies, however, that the hood, fenders, doors and trunk lid are, along with the roof, aluminum.

Oh, and thanks for your quick response. Do you knowq what is aluminum on the rally art?

Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Your getting incredibly in depth, solid, intelligent responses....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The Evo X is a skin-roof unibody of the typical sort (which is the next step up from stretched monocoque). The front fenders and roof are aluminum and non-structural. The hood, trunk, and doors are also non-structural, which is why they can all be swapped for something lighter, if you wish. The rest, including the rear fenders, is steel and structural. The key to the Evo X's torsional stiffness is the arch from the back edge of the front fender, over the doors, and down to the rear fender. These arches, combined with the cross-braces at the tops of the front and rear windows are what it make one of the stiffest cars made.

Nothing cryptic here. I see a thorough response that should suffice.

Please re-state your question if this isn't clear - and include the purpose for the question. We (the forum) do want to help.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cul8tr
Your answer implies, however, that the hood, fenders, doors and trunk lid are, along with the roof, aluminum.

He implied that in his statement because its true.

And he also explicitly said that everything else is steel.

Unibody steel today is of much higher quality than unibody steel 10 years ago, and a metric light year ahead of what was around 20 years ago. Expect a much greater resistance to rust vs something from the mid 2000's.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Okay Veronica, here is the response that I said was cryptic:

Originally Posted by Iowa999 View Post

It makes clear that the Front fenders and roof are aluminum. It then says "hood, trunk and doors are also non structural which is why they can be swapped for something lighter, if you wish"

Well, that does not tell me if these panels are aluminum or not. After all, if they are aluminum, then something lighter that they could be switch out for could be carbon fiber, no?

All it tells me is the obvious of what is and is not structural but not what is and is not aluminum.

So, NO IT IS NOT AT ALL CLEAR.

AND, IF IT IS SO CLEAR, THEN TELL ME, are the trunk and doors aluminum or not? FROM this persons well intentioned comment, there is NO WAY TO KNOW.

Think and read before getting righteous and haughty. It was not at all clear! AND IT STILL IS NOT.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
uh oh shots fired!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:49 PM

Veronica,

in my book, you get points for being into Evos. You get more points for being on an enthusiast site and answering questions. So, answer this question:

where in the message of the guy whose message was termed "cryptic" does he "explicitly" state what is and is not aluminum?

Yeah, you can't. Why? BECAUSE HE DOES NOT SAY ANY SUCH THING EXPLICITLY.

TWO DEMERITS!

Get off your high horse and actually read what is said and if you can be helpful, by all means do so. Otherwise, clam up and go count sand.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 03:00 PM

II

A) The question was very very clear. reread it and answer it if you know the answer.

B) Does one need to justify why they want to know something about the cars that are all about this enthusiast site? Hmm, that should be made more "explicit" to those daring to inquire about some aspect of the car that is the basis of this site.

C) Seems simple enough: the question asks two basic things:

1. What body panels are aluminum on the bloody evo X?

2. Are the same body panels on the Rally Art also aluminum?

Since you are so **** sure and see such clarity in the answer posted by the poor bloak who did try to answer the question at the outset, why don't you have a go at it...

TELL YOUR FELLOW EVO NUTS what EVO body panels are aluminum:

Roof of sunroof equipped car?
Trunk lid?
Doors? (Front? Rear?)

Your turn...

We await your response.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:16 PM

It's on the mitsubishiusa.com site with the specs for all their cars.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:18 PM

Sos un genio! Please do tell me exactly where it says so "explicitly"

No hay alla. Leelo y digame... Has dicho un boludes!

For those who don't understand spanish:

Nothing "explicit" in what he said. Reread his explanation then tell me it was "explicitly" stated.

If you are going to contribute to the knowledge and understanding, then by all means do so. Otherwise, resist the temptation to show everyone that you not only don't know the answer but that you are unable to read at the most basic level someone else's answer.

Quick Reply: Evo x unibody/body panels question