Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Ride- TT RS (2012)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ride- TT RS (2012)

Hey guys-

Want to let you all in on a little secret. If you can afford to swing a 2012-2013 TT RS give it a test drive. I still have my EVO X but it will be off lease in a few months. Picked up a 2012 TT RS with 13K miles for 51K. 360 HP stock- with the APR stage 2 about 450 WHP out of a 5 cylinder and lighter than the X. APR mobile Iphone maps. Pulls like a freight train in all gears, 6 speed only. Very small drives like a race car/911 GT3 but for 52K I think it is the HP bargain of the century and it's an Audi with all the quality, interior etc.

Two kids will even fit in the back jump seats. So anyway, if you are looking at something unique and can swing it they only imported about 500 per year. Some good examples on ebay or cars.com. GTR level speeds for 15K less.

A gigantic step up and you have the rally driving history and killer sound from the 5 cyl.
Old May 24, 2015, 07:43 AM

I really like these as well, and while I wouldn't call it the HP bargain of the century by a long shot (a Hellcat is 9k more than you spent) I totally see your point about driveability! Enjoy it!
Old May 24, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hellcat would be amazing. Way more room too.
Old May 24, 2015, 09:28 AM

Yeah hellcat is a totally different animal. One trick pony and not AWD. Lots of HP but how many burnouts do you need? I have seen pretty poor qtr mile times from that also unless you have slicks or can warm up the rubber. Deprecation has got to be thru the roof on that. But yeah would be fun on the weekend.
Old May 24, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Was looking at the TTRS as well but with Audi's being as unreliable as they are..........

I've owned two Audi S4's previously (B5 2000 bi-turbo and a 2005.5 V8) and have had very mixed results in terms of reliability (yes, I need to update my signature to get rid of the Audi LOL).

Congratulations on your purchase though, the TT RS is certainly a pretty rare car.
Old May 24, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Not a fan of the look of any TT. I cant see how your referring to a car with 360hp as having "GTR like speeds". Glad you enjoy it man!
Old May 24, 2015, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry but youre a little off with your numbers it makes 450 on a stage 2 on 100 octane gas and about 415 on 91. Although ive driven 3 of them and they are surprisingly fast even in stock form (felt faster then my 450awhp Evo) I just don't know if I could spend 51k for a car that's still a few years old. I like em but that's my 02
Old May 24, 2015, 03:22 PM

Intercooler, full exhaust, latest stage 2 puts out more than 415 on 91 my friend. 450 believe it.
Audi's are rated lower than they put out anyway, at least in RS. Plus you have full TQ of over 450 around 3000-3500rpm. That is why it is and feels fast.
3300 pounds, = GTR like speeds for mr Viegas..

Anyway, good luck guys just pointing out a car that a lot of people don't realize is AWD and can put up tremendous numbers for very little in a more refined package.

Last edited by Blackevo mr; May 24, 2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 24, 2015, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blackevo mr
Intercooler, full exhaust, latest stage 2 puts out more than 415 on 91 my friend. 450 believe it.
Audi's are rated lower than they put out anyway, at least in RS. Plus you have full TQ of over 450 around 3000-3500rpm. That is why it is and feels fast.
3300 pounds, = GTR like speeds for mr Viegas..

Anyway, good luck guys just pointing out a car that a lot of people don't realize is AWD and can put up tremendous numbers for very little in a more refined package.
I wasnt trying to offend, dude. I hope you love the car and it treats you well. While those are good numbers, 450 still wouldnt bother a GTR. People dont realize just how dominant those cars are, big thanks to their transmission/clutch.
Old May 24, 2015, 05:53 PM

Hey no problem. I wanted a GTR 2012, didn't want to pay 15K more for a low miles one.
Dual clutch is the bomb- I agree with you. I guess in a few years i will have to compare.
I am not sure the pull with GTR weighing 3900 would be much more but i guess i will see it when it see it.

Have a nice weekend guys!
Old May 24, 2015, 06:52 PM

Hey no problem. I wanted a GTR 2012, didn't want to pay 15K more for a low miles one.
Dual clutch is the bomb- I agree with you. I guess in a few years i will have to compare.
I am not sure the pull with GTR weighing 3900 would be much more but i guess i will see it when it see it.

Are they making a new TT RS with the latest model rolling in?
Old May 24, 2015, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I know, those cars are unfair lol. Didnt realize the TT was AWD. Is it anything like the evos system?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Didnt realize the TT was AWD. Is it anything like the evos system?
No, it's haldex with FWD bias most of the time. TT-S and TT-RS share the same AWD system and chassis as the Golf R and S3. The haldex is programmed a little more aggressive in the TT-RS.

It is not full AWD like "real" quattro in the Audi A4 and up.

The TT-RS is a great little car and very capable of making good power. Be careful with that engine though, they cost a fortune to replace.

Last edited by razorlab; May 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old May 25, 2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
No, it's haldex with FWD bias most of the time. TT-S and TT-RS share the same AWD system and chassis as the Golf R and S3. The haldex is programmed a little more aggressive in the TT-RS.

It is not full AWD like "real" quattro in the Audi A4 and up.

The TT-RS is a great little car and very capable of making good power. Be careful with that engine though, they cost a fortune to replace.
Ouch...no bueno
Old May 25, 2015, 07:29 AM

The downside of TT's can be a little understeer. I have not noticed any difference in street driving versus my MR but i also have a 034 sway bar installed. In the TT RS you also get magnetic shocks which are pretty trick. AWD can go up to 100% i believe on slip to back, and has torque vectoring/braking of rear wheels like EVO MR. But yeah it might be more front biased- don't really notice anything different so far. The ride height is much lower so you feel like you are driving a race car/track car most of the time compared to evo. The steering inputs are also much stiffer in TTRS.

Quick Reply: New Ride- TT RS (2012)