Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Front and Rear Whiteline Swaybar with Endlinks Install by RallySport Direct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To Install - Whiteline Front and Rear Swaybar with Endlinks by RallySport Direct

Our La Flama Blanca shop Evo X has been taking a lot of trips to the autocross events here in Salt Lake. Recently we have been looking into improving its handling abilities by upgrading some of the suspension parts. We did a lot of research and testing and decided to go with a plethora of Whiteline parts. In the next few how-to write-ups for you guys, we will be installing all of these great products!

In this how-to, we will be installing the Whiteline heavy duty front and rear sway bars and the adjustable end links. There has been a lot of interest and questions regarding the install of the front sway bar specifically, more so than the rear, as the rear is fairly simple and straight forward. I don’t want to give off the wrong impression, while the front was definitely much more difficult and involved than the rear, all in all, it wasn’t as terrible as I was prepared for.

Getting started, the first thing we needed to do was collect the necessary tools to perform this task. There wasn’t any special tools needed, other than the transmission jack we used to drop the sub-frame, but if you were to attempt this on the ground, you could use a floor jack to do the same thing. I could definitely see it being possible while having the car on the ground, although it would be a lot harder, fortunately, we have a lift.

So, let’s get a list of tools you will need.

1) Ratchets (we used both a ½ drive and a 3/8 drive ratchet
2) Sockets: 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
3) Long extension (or a combination of shorter extensions)
4) 5mm allen wrench (to hold the end link stud)
5) Flat tip screwdriver
6) Transmission stand (or a floor jack if you’re on the ground)
7) Jack, or car lift
8) Jack stands (if on the floor)

Here’s a picture of all of the items we are going to be installing in these how-tos. LOTS of Whiteline goodies!

Now, we have all of our tools, should we get started on this fun filled project? I think so. We will need to remove the parts outlined in the image below. You won’t have to remove the entire under tray, just these parts to gain access to the bolts and clips and other miscellaneous things involved in this install.

There are a few 10mm bolts holding these but mostly there are plastic clips that require either a flat tip screwdriver like the one pictured below, or a Phillips screwdriver that you just back out a half turn.

Now we can undo the three 17mm bolts (two up front, one in the rear) and the two 12mm bolts on either side of the brace.

Next, pull the 14mm bolt/nut out of the front engine mount (be careful when pulling this out as the whole brace will now fall out)

Onto the rear brace now, all it takes is 2 14mm bolts and 2 12mm bolts and it comes right out.

We need to unbolt the two straps that hold the power steering lines to the sub frame by removing the two 10mm bolts. They are on top of the rack in the rear so they are a little hard to see, but I outlined them here.

Now we need to remove the three 17mm bolts that go through the steering rack, in order to get to one of these bolts, we need to remove the rear motor mount. It takes 1 bolt/nut that goes through the mount, then three more 14mm bolts that go through the sub frame (two on the rear, one on the front) After you get these loose, you can move the mount over to the right (or the left if you prefer) so you can get to the third steering rack bolt.

The end links need to be removed from the factory mounts. Now these little guys fought us a little bit, we ended up having to hold the stud with the 5mm allen wrench while loosening the nut with our 14mm ratcheting wrench.

We can take the bolts off of the sway bar bushing retainers now. So just take the 4 12mm bolts out and it should come loose. There is one on the back side that you just can’t see here in this image, but it’s there. Take them all out, both passenger and drivers side.

The three bolts holding the steering rack can come out now. There is one to the driver’s side and two almost directly across from each other on the passenger side. Take your 17mm ratchet and socket to take what you can out, and then you might have to use a wrench on others like we did.

Take the three bolts out of the rear brace and put it aside

Next we can take the sub frame bolts out. There are 4 19mm bolts holding the sub frame up. There are two in the rear, right be where you just took the rear braces off.

There is a hole in the lower control arm that you’ll have to grab either a long extension to get to the bolt, or stack shorter extensions like we did here. Pull all four of the bolts out making sure to have your tranny jack, or regular jack (depending if you’re on the ground or in the air) to support the sub frame before dropping it.

Finally, we can drop the sub frame!! You can see in this picture just how much more room you will have to work with getting the sway bar out after you drop the sub frame.

We can take the sway bar out now. Try to keep track of how you pull it out, you have to wiggle it around a little bit to get it to come, but it will come out without too much effort.

Here’s the stock sway vs. the Whiteline part. It’s a good idea to keep these by each other as you install the bushings to get close to the mounting locations.

We can install our end links now. We opted for the White line units; you can use the factory end links as well. There are three holes in the sway bar; you can choose whatever setting you like. We went with the middle setting for now. The furthest out is the softest setting, the middle is the medium and the closest in is the most rigid setting. This is something you will want to experiment with to find out which one is the best for your personal situation. Don’t forget to install the washer supplied with your Whiteline end links.

Bushings are next. These are very simple to install, the main thing to remember is to try to line them up as much as possible with your eye so they will line up with the bolt holes in the sub frame. The Whiteline sway bars come with grease packs.

Use about half the pack of grease per side and spread it around the inside of the bushing and spread it open over the sway bar. Now place the retainer over the bushings now it’s ready to throw on the car.

Slide it back up into the car, over the stock bolt holes.

Thread in the bolts to hold the sway in place, don’t tighten them up yet, we will need to adjust it from side to side to make sure the end links line up properly.

Now, bolt everything back up in the reverse order of the removal and you’re good to go and we can move onto the rear. We can start with the end links. Same as the front, we had to use the 5mm allen wrench to hold the stud while wrenching the nut off.

After you get those loose, take your 12mm and undo the bushing retainers, its 4 bolts (2 on each side) and it should be loose and ready to come off.

Here is the factory sway vs. the Whiteline bar. Again, it’s a good idea to keep these by each other as you put the bushings and straps on to line them up with the stock ones.

Grease your bushings and slip them on, compare them to stock position, get them close, doesn’t have to be perfect, we can always adjust them when we install the bar.

So, when you bolt it up, leave it loose while you adjust the bar’s position left to right so the end links line up.

Installing the end links is very simple and straight forward, make sure they are adjusted where you want them prior to installing; we opted to keep them about stock length. Slide them in the holes and bolt it up.

The rear sway bar from Whiteline comes with a pair of lateral locks. Now that we have the bar adjusted where we want it, let’s go ahead and install the lateral locks to keep it in place. They are a simple 2 piece “clamp” style lock. Take the bolts out, place it tight against the inside of the respective side of the sway bar, then place the other side on, thread the bolts on and tighten them down.

We went with the middle setting on the rear as well. We wanted to set the car up as balanced as we could to get some baseline runs in and see if we want to adjust them later.

That’s it! It was a little bit of a chore of course, as you would expect installing something that is so important to the handling and suspension of your car. We are going to take the car out for some runs and get some hard data and share it as soon as it is done. Thanks for taking time to read this long write up and we hope it helps you guys make the decision to purchase some aftermarket sway bars. Don’t let the install scare you. They are reasonably difficult, but definitely do-able. Thanks for reading!!

-Corby

Last edited by RallySport Direct; Oct 14, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

This is a great writeup as always.

NO ONE wants to do the front sway.... How long does it actually take you to swap one out if that's the only item you're doing?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:42 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by tkromer
This is a great writeup as always.

NO ONE wants to do the front sway.... How long does it actually take you to swap one out if that's the only item you're doing?
Thank you tkromer

I would agree that the average person wont undertake doing a front sway bar, but for those looking for the adjust ability of having an aftermarket sway bar (The auto cross and track guys) this is a great write up on how they can do it.

The install will take about 3.5-4.5 hours I would say so its definitely a good weekend project to do with a friend

The Front Sway bar took up close to half of the time it took us to do everything white that we installed and if someone is going to work on doing a front sway bar I would recommend on doing anything else up front that you are considering to do at the same time to kill several other birds with the 1 stone

Let us know if you have any other questions on this.

-Dallin
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Great write-up, thank you!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:43 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
Great write-up, thank you!
Thank you!

It the complements and questions that help keep us doing these how to write ups

We appreciate any and all feed back

-Dallin
Old Oct 19, 2013, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really wish other "how to" posts were this good.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 03:34 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by oc-drummer
Really wish other "how to" posts were this good.
Thank you for the complement

They do take a little bit of work, but its for the good of the community and can really help those DIY people. We hope that we can show the simplest and best ways to do these installs as well as providing lots of pictures to help for reference when you are working on your own project too

-Dallin
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:56 PM

Very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to show how it's done.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:38 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by elocinX671
Very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to show how it's done.
Thank you for the kind words and its no problem at all

We are happy to do them and keep doing the write ups on parts we install on our car.

-Dallin
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
Silver Sponsor

A little video we did of the before and afters with the Whiteline products upgrade

-Dallin

Last edited by RallySport Direct; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Thank you for the awesome guide. Using this guide, I actually tackled the front sway install in my garage, still need to put it all back up. The rear motor mount is THE most challenging to remove and put back (putting back stage is where I called it a night, no more light and I am exhausted lol). Going to tackle it again tomorrow morning.

edit: that was a hell of an install to do in your own garage with only jack stands. Thanks to the guide, i did get it all done Time to tackle the lowering springs now.

Last edited by T6; Nov 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by T6
Thank you for the awesome guide. Using this guide, I actually tackled the front sway install in my garage, still need to put it all back up. The rear motor mount is THE most challenging to remove and put back (putting back stage is where I called it a night, no more light and I am exhausted lol). Going to tackle it again tomorrow morning.

edit: that was a hell of an install to do in your own garage with only jack stands. Thanks to the guide, i did get it all done Time to tackle the lowering springs now.
T6,

Glade to hear some feedback from someone that used our how to I hope it was helpful and informative for you.

Yes that rear motor mount is tricky to reach and even trickier to get back in and having a lift vs. jack stands is a world of help, but unfortunately not everyone has a lift or access to a lift.

The lower springs should be a bit easier than the front sway bar

-Dallin
Old Nov 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
T6,

Glade to hear some feedback from someone that used our how to I hope it was helpful and informative for you.

Yes that rear motor mount is tricky to reach and even trickier to get back in and having a lift vs. jack stands is a world of help, but unfortunately not everyone has a lift or access to a lift.

The lower springs should be a bit easier than the front sway bar

-Dallin
Haha, yea... I can see how a lift would make life much easier. Jacking up with transmission via directly under where the rear motor mount was the only way to do it (with the bolts off). I spent at least 2-3 hours trying to get that thing out and in total.

Springs are a joke compared to the sway bars. Maybe you guys should make a guide for that too! (for the community as I am pretty much done with em).

Thanks a mill for the guide again
Old Nov 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by T6
Haha, yea... I can see how a lift would make life much easier. Jacking up with transmission via directly under where the rear motor mount was the only way to do it (with the bolts off). I spent at least 2-3 hours trying to get that thing out and in total.

Springs are a joke compared to the sway bars. Maybe you guys should make a guide for that too! (for the community as I am pretty much done with em).

Thanks a mill for the guide again
Ya I can only imagine how tough it was on ground

Spring will be much easier since you wont be on your back most of the time

Our car already has coilovers on it so not sure when or if we will be able to do a Lower Spring write up to be honest.

Our lift/ shop is only for our shop cars and products test/ installs. We are not an open to public shop that does installs on customer cars unfortunately or otherwise we would have access to another X to do lowering springs on possibly.

No problem at all I am glade our How to helped you out

-Dallin
Old Nov 27, 2013, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

nice

hey nice was wondering white line products for my evo 8. They are a little higher in price but they really seem to be sparking some great reviews. I will be getting them for christmas for myself. Hope they work as well.

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Whiteline Swaybar with Endlinks Install by RallySport Direct