Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake bleeding Problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake bleeding Problems

So I followed the procedure cited here:
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html

However, I'm using a different brake bleeding order that I found in the Evo X service manual in which you bleed driver rear, passenger front, passenger rear, and lastly driver front

When I bleed the nipple for the first time, bubbles will come out. After I close it and have someone do the pumping again and I open it again, there are no more bubbles. I did that for every corner following the order above. However, when I start a new brake bleeding cycle in which I start with the driver rear again, bubbles would appear when I first open it and then they would disappear once again after subsequent bleeding of the nipples. I went through three bottles of brake fluid and I'm keeping the reservoir topped off.

I did install stainless steel lines and new brake pads. The connections on the stainless steel lines are tight. Any suggestions? Brake pedal doesn't hit the ground either. Please help!

Last edited by _hyper; Feb 10, 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first round of bubbles is just you expelling the air in the hose you are using. That's normal. Your brakes have probably been bled this whole time. If the pedal is firm then you're good to go. I'm pretty sure you are just over thinking things.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:41 AM

So everytime I connect the hose to a nipple for the first time and crack it open it's normal to see bubbles at first? But because I open it subsequent times and I don't see bubbles that indicates there's no air in the lines? Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Take it for a test drive after bleeding. Is the pedal firm, and not spungy?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:11 AM

Pedal feels okay. When I first push down the brakes, it has a different feel for the first 10-20% of travel. Not exactly spongy, just less resistance. After that the pedal firms up really hard
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably fine.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have changed alot in the brake systems so you have a lot of air. what I have found is to just drive what you have if you feels its safe and you have good brakes. Do this for a day or 2. Then go back and bleed them a final time-- and that will get all the bubbles out. You likely have air in the lines still and they need to all work toward a gathering point to be bled. Pour some brake fluid in a clear glass and you will see air bubbles suspended all over--thats what you have today, give it some time to settle out and you will get the rest of the air out in the final bleed.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _hyper
So everytime I connect the hose to a nipple for the first time and crack it open it's normal to see bubbles at first? But because I open it subsequent times and I don't see bubbles that indicates there's no air in the lines? Thanks
Correct. If you use a six inch piece of vacuum line between the nipple and the bottle you are bleeding the fluid into, it is an empty tube when first connected. Now you have fluid behind the bleeder and fluid in the bottle, the hose is air. Once you open the bleeder to push fluid thru the hose you are effectively pushing the air out of the Jose and into the bottle. Which is what you are describing, and is normal. Go drive the car and see how it feels.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

If you can't figure it out I recommend getting a Motive Brake Bleeder. I bought one so I wouldn't have to call my wife into the garage to pump my brakes. Its a bit of $ up front but well worth it in my opinion. Other than that make sure your helper knows what they are doing and hold the brake to the floor until you tell them to lift.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention inside vs outside bleeder, so I will. You always bleed the outer nipple before the inner when working on a corner.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

ooh, i bled inside then outside (which i thought i read to do but maybe i read it wrong or had a bad source) - i installed new lines today and bled my brakes for the first time today, went pretty smooth, i would feel more comfortable bleeding them again because i ran out of fluid on the last caliper but my brakes are way better now.

to the OP, when i bled them after swapping out the lines, it took a lot of fluid to get all the air out of the rear brakes, but not nearly as much in the front. i would tap on the caliper with a rubber mallet which releases air clinging to the inside of the caliper and shoot it out of the bleeder

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I haven't seen anyone mention inside vs outside bleeder,
so I will. You always bleed the outer nipple before the inner when working on a corner.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

OP, hope you won't get a slow weeping on the bleeders. i can't get rid of this issue after my first fluid change. brake fluid is eating up the brembo paint around the bleeders.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedSER13
OP, hope you won't get a slow weeping on the bleeders. i can't get rid of this issue after my first fluid change. brake fluid is eating up the brembo paint around the bleeders.
I suspect you've stripped your bleeders...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it leaks at the base, it's probably stripped and it sucks to be you. If it leaks at the nipple, then simply remove, clean, and reinstall, or replace with new ones; leaks out the nipple usually mean that the bleeder isn't fully seating and sealing.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good points. At the base and there's only a few option, helicoil, drill and install a bigger bleeder, new caliper.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding Problems