Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

You think you've had warranty problems? .8 degrees difference in camber

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You think you've had warranty problems? .8 degrees difference in camber

THEY SAY ITS NORMAL.

my front driver side is .6 degrees and my passenger front is at 1.4. the manager's statement.... ITS NORMAL.

the car was clearly pulling to the left, and the steering wheel was rotated to the left slightly. I ask them to please do an alignment, a technician comes out and tells me i drove it, its fine man. I had requested an oil change and tire rotation; it had already been performed prior to him taking the vehicle for a ride. So I asumed it was just low pressure somewhere perhaps, taking his word I drive the car up the street to the bank, Its clearly still pulling doing the same thing. I bring it back I basically have to BEG to get the car on the alignment rack. I'm dismissively told it will take up to two hours that i shouldn't wait and to just bring it later (i'm present now, i wanted it done at that time and there was no one else waiting). 3 hours later I am presented with a printout reading the above stated camber, immediately i realize how much of a mistake it was to buy a sports car from an electric car company (which is what Mitsubishi wants to be).

Anyways my car is a 2014 MR Touring, I got it in November on the 21st. its only been 3 months and my steering wheel is flaking and i'm guessing that this company sells ****ty ****ing interior materials so i'm gona have to eat that cost??? unreal, 3 MONTH OLD CAR.

And the dealership is incompetent in servicing a car with a suspension of this caliber.

I know you guys are all tired of hearing it about the dealership/warranty nightmares so i apologize. I just want to know from the Pro's here how bad is it to have .8 degrees of a difference in the front camber from one side to the other like this. Is it even safe? i'm afraid to drive the car fast now. I purchased an MR so that my fiance could drive this thing and she's terrified because of how much it pulls to the left.

3 months old.

NOT A SINGLE BOLT TURNED ON IT, NOT ONE MODIFICATION, NOT EVEN TINTS OR ALARM/REMOTE STARTER. NOTHING.

AND I AM WILLING TO PAY TO HAVE IT FIXED BUT I JUST WANTED THE DEALERSHIP TO BE THE ONLY ONE TO WORK ON THE CAR. NOW I'M BEING FORCED TO LOOK FOR OTHER PLACES TO ALIGN THE CAR PROPERLY. i'm taking it to a local firestone at 12, and to a local tire shop with great reputation at 2pm.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My .02 cents take it to a local shop and have them adjust the camber back to proper factory specs. The only way you would be off that much is if you hit a curb or something. It could be as easy as paying 100$ for a realignment. I get mine done every year. Also don't fall for the old "You need a Camber kit to fix this..." scam. I believe mine is -1.5 in both fronts and -1 in both rears. Here's a useful link for camber specs.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:49 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

This is why I go to performance shop only. No firestone, american tire depot or any of that BS. I find people who have experience in racing/performance cars and have them touch my car ONLY.

That's how you keep your car well maintained. Good luck.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sev
This is why I go to performance shop only. No firestone, american tire depot or any of that BS. I find people who have experience in racing/performance cars and have them touch my car ONLY.

That's how you keep your car well maintained. Good luck.
I take my Evo to Firestone...but I ask for one a specific Tech that has done several other track Evo's in my area. They charge an extra $10 for a 'performance' alignment but the guy has hit my exact specs I gave him each time.

There is a large margin in the factory alignment specs. Camber is 'set from the factory' but a good alignment tech can get each side pretty close without camber plates.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Anexos
I take my Evo to Firestone...but I ask for one a specific Tech that has done several other track Evo's in my area. They charge an extra $10 for a 'performance' alignment but the guy has hit my exact specs I gave him each time.

There is a large margin in the factory alignment specs. Camber is 'set from the factory' but a good alignment tech can get each side pretty close without camber plates.
This is what I do also. Take it in and tell them exactly what I want and they give it to me. Granted I have all adjustable arms in the back to make it easy... Firestone has done a good job with my car.

And if you think you will be going back multiple times, the lifetime alignments deal is a godsend. I paid the 180 for it and have probably gotten 10-15 alignments.

Good luck.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Have you got a chance to try a different dealer?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealerships and places like Firestone are generally "toe and go" shops. They don't care much about where camber ends up; they just want it "in the green."

Find a good shop that does good work that you can trust and save the dealership and warranty stuff for warranty things so that they can tell you "no" and you go somewhere else anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a performance car, I would take it to a performance shop. We all know how ridiculous the dealership can be.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As I've said before, many Evo Xs list to the left, causing them to have less camber on the left than right. It's not an alignment problem; it's a springs problem.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
As I've said before, many Evo Xs list to the left, causing them to have less camber on the left than right. It's not an alignment problem; it's a springs problem.
is this confirmed or documented proven anywhere? has the dealership changed them for anyone?

In a last resort attempt I took it yesterday to Firestone to see what they got on theirs just for an alignment check, everything was again in the green however numbers didn't match side to side.

Today I plan on taking it to a reputable tire/alignment shop near by. Then i'm taking it to a Mercedes dealership where a friend is a tech and he's gonna check it with their machine as well.

I plan on taking all alignment reports and just submitting them to the company and hopefully I can get someone to agree to set the alignment as close to factory centers as possible.

I really think that the biggest problem of Evolution ownership is that the company that sells them in the United States is not the primary company that is actually building and developing them, Mitsubishi Motors in Tokyo/Europe. This company here as stated on the international affairs website is a subcontractor called Mitsubishi Motors of North America, Basically a distributor. And this can be supported by the fact that the only accessories that they sell for the car are the aero packages and ralliart lug nuts. It is evident that there really isn't a set department or project managers in place to oversee the service issues with thees vehicles. Hence why our cars pretty much get serviced with just a little more care than regular Lancers; hence "IN THE GREEN ALIGNMENTS". The dealerships are not being trained to service these cars within the high tolerances that they were originally built within, which is what makes a sports car capable of precision driving and able to endure high performance driving for extended periods of time.

We all understand that these vehicles need tight tolerances, we all rebuild them with high tolerances and just as close if not closer attention to the higher tolerances that they were originally built within. But the dealerships are just not on par with a Porsche service department, IN TERMS OF SUSPENSION/DRIVE-TRAIN. I called Porsche to see if I could just have them service my car, they said no, i'll be calling Miller Motor cars once they open. If they can, they will provide a few things that Mitsubishi cannot, first of all experience and equipment to perfectly align our suspensions and to be able to detect damaged parts to replace to achieve perfect alignments. They will also provide A NO QUESTIONS ASKED service report on the repair orders as documentation for warranty claims as they are also dealerships and not performance shops. Yes the alignments range from 260 dollars to 450 depending on vehicle However it will be done perfect and by technicians who work under extremely stringent conditions and parameters, totally different than a kid that looks 19 and gets my passenger seat leather dirty (i have the rust/dirt marks in a picture i'll post later super pissed about that).

We truly do own unique vehicles, the problem is that we do not have the support staff/departments available to service them here in the united states. Half of the issues that arise with our vehicles cannot even be understood by the service managers of these Mitsubishi Dealerships. The gentleman that I spoke with here stated "look at the paper everything is green its fine look at it that's it". I know that you all know how frustrating it is to hear, but can you imagine having the understanding that we have of suspensions/drive-trains and having to endure, ENDURE, listening to a man who is supposed to be the person that knows more about this car than you, say "its green its green its fine its fine" and not understand that IT HAS TO BE PERFECT OR AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO CENTERED.

Because they also service 12 thousand dollar cars they have to charge the same prices, and thus they cant spend enough time on our alignments but I even offered to pay extra for the time it took, and they did not want to spend any more time. It honestly makes it nearly impossible to own one of these cars not because i have the money or don't have the money to take it and pay knowing it should be warranty first year free adjustment. But because I KNOW 100% they are wrong, and they are too incompetent to understand why they are wrong.

Mitsubishi Motors needs to open another department if they plan on selling that next evo, I don't know how ford is doing with their performance vehicles, but they plan on selling the RS a 300 hp fwd hatchback compact can you imagine the alignment needs on that thing? But people in Europe don't complain like we do here in the states about our Mitsu service departments. Plus they have cars like the Evo in the eye as competition and do you think that a rivaling corporation isnt going to look at these issues and implement specific training parameters to their service staff to be able to maintain competition.

So now here is the snow ball effect of 10 years plus now of the Evolution being sold in america by a company that does not MAKE nor UNDERSTAND what the Evolution is or even what wrc stands for. We also have a company that has become complacent because we just keep buying the cars. This is my second Evo, and I strongly believe it will be my last.

I would have absolutely no problem paying for a steering wheel if i damaged it, but when the thing comes apart in my hands from just driving after 3 months and less than 3,000 miles, i'm getting a new one and i'm not paying for that.

I would have no problem paying extra for a proper high tolerance alignment if the shop doing the work is competent, but again 3 months and less than 3,000 miles and a contract that states 12 months free adjustments, its only black or white.

I have a problem going through all these negative experiences and walking into a dealership and buying another one of these cars only to subject my self to the same incompetence and complacency.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/ <--They build our evo's

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...#north_america <---when you click on north america this is what you get:

Clicking “Website” link above will open the website of this distributor,which is an independent company, using “MITSUBISHI MOTORS” name or logo mark under the contract agreement with Mitsubishi Motors Corporation and providing Mitsubishi Motors' products in the country or the region you have selected.

It should explain it all.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 04:00 AM

I've had a similar problem as well. Had one of the best evo shops around do alignment shortly after getting it, but it still felt like it was pulling to the left a bit and steering wheel was off center a tad to the left. Drove around for a while and figured I'd change tires. Did that at different place and specifically told them what to do about alignment, but it was still doing the same thing despite the alignment looking good. Brought it back and had them triple check everything again, but walked out with the same problems. This was all within the last few months and not sure what to do now. Will probably end up just doing the lifetime alignment at firestone since this might be a frequent issue.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry your going trough the same thing. I believe they are using the wrong equipment and tolerances to perform the diagnostic and actual alignment of this suspension. I guarantee porsche and Ferrari dealerships are required to buy a specific alignment machine. And told to align to manufacturer spec not machine preloaded guidelines.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:05 AM

Depending on your alignment specs road crown can cause your car to pull to the left or right. I run 0* of toe all around. This results in the car pulling on roads with more crown.

Quick Reply: You think you've had warranty problems? .8 degrees difference in camber