Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS Sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Sensor issue

I have search and found threads where other people have issues with their TPMS. Whether it is getting TPMS for DiscountTires, N.G.S, or OEM.

I recently purchased a set of wheels with OEM TPMS sensors from a friend and I've been trying to get them programmed. I went to a local Costco that had a Bartech 400 and tried to get them programmed to my car.

His process:
Connect to OBD port -> then he disconnected it
Went from driver side tire and clockwise pointing his Bartech towards the wheels

He then told me that it was not connecting, he had to release air out constantly on my driver side because it was a alternative method to connect. It failed as well.

Is there something wrong or did he do something wrong? I no longer have my original set of TPMS sensors, but I have his wheels with his OEM Sensors. Does the year matter because the costco employee asked me the year of my Evo. I feel like I need to take a trip to the dealership. Thanks guys
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ayooo_itzme
He then told me that it was not connecting, he had to release air out constantly on my driver side because it was a alternative method to connect. It failed as well.
Almost any tool that read and store the codes (in the tool), but very few tools can insert the codes in the car's ETACs ECU. If this person couldn't even read the codes, it's time to go elsewhere.

ps. why anyone would get a second set of sensors with a different set of codes when NGS is right here ready to make you a set of clones is beyond me; two sets of codes equals two trips to someone with a fancy tool per year
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well- Bartec finally announced that it can program mitsu. You have to buy an adapter for the current tool:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/chan...artec-kit.aspx
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Almost any tool that read and store the codes (in the tool), but very few tools can insert the codes in the car's ETACs ECU. If this person couldn't even read the codes, it's time to go elsewhere.

ps. why anyone would get a second set of sensors with a different set of codes when NGS is right here ready to make you a set of clones is beyond me; two sets of codes equals two trips to someone with a fancy tool per year
Yeah I understand, if it was wheels that came without TPMS, i would've went that route but it came with his OEM TPMS. The problem with it was that it does not receive a feedback when he tried to scan it. I have no idea...so he has to scan the wheels TPMS first and then upload them to the ECU? Any directions?

Originally Posted by packrat
Well- Bartec finally announced that it can program mitsu. You have to buy an adapter for the current tool:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/chan...artec-kit.aspx
He does have the adapter because it connected to the OB port if thats what you're talking about
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:02 PM

i work at costco.... they have the adapter, it was sent out to all the locations.

He didnt do anything "wrong", hes just not experienced in learning for Mitsubishis.

the year really depends because the sensor is made to last 5 years or 100k miles. how long were they on your friends car? it could be that the batteries are dead.
if the batteries are dead. at that point you will have to decide if you want new sensors installed or not. costco should be able to order you a set of "universal" sensors.
here is a link to what it is. http://dillaircontrols.com/dill/tpms...--Lancer--2014

costco will only charge you to install the sensor to the wheels. they will do all the tpms learning for free. if you have issues they will try to figure it out for free
Attached Thumbnails TPMS Sensor issue-img_6294.jpg  

Last edited by Badhazard; Nov 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi dealer told me only they could do it... I made the mistake of buying Discount Tire Co. sensors and of course they don't work. Then the dealer said they can try to make them work, but it will be $135 diagnostic fee either way! Figured I'll just go get the OEM sensors put on next time the wheels are off the car
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ticket_target
Mitsubishi dealer told me only they could do it... I made the mistake of buying Discount Tire Co. sensors and of course they don't work. Then the dealer said they can try to make them work, but it will be $135 diagnostic fee either way! Figured I'll just go get the OEM sensors put on next time the wheels are off the car
I just bought a set of TPMS from discount tire (can't remember brand name) for my winter wheels and they work just fine.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 02:10 AM

@ticket_target its a possibility they could have just gave you the wrong sensors due to the lancer and the evo having different rims the tpms may differ due to how they are positioned in the rim. The sensor might have a clamp in or snap in option. Aside from that, for the original post, the tpms could have been damaged at the time your friend might have replaced tires on those rims or the battery could be going bad in them. Tpm sensors run on batteries and they will go out when they want to. You can tell if the tpms sensor is not working properly as well if you have it out of the rim and test it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by PLAYEVO
@ticket_target its a possibility they could have just gave you the wrong sensors due to the lancer and the evo having different rims the tpms may differ due to how they are positioned in the rim. The sensor might have a clamp in or snap in option.
Could have to do with the position. Banded them to the barrel so I could use my Volk valve stems... Just weird to me how the car threw all the alerts like when reflashing the ecu when the Discount Tire tech hooked his tool up to the diagnostic port
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:36 AM

which alerts? like traction control and abs? i had that happen to a 2012 corolla i was resetting the tpms on it randomly threw traction control and stability control lights. i think it might have to do with the tool hooking into the port when the data is being transferred.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

i need a new sensor I purchased an oem one can anyone program it to my ecu?

Last edited by BlackHawk_Tsi; Jan 1, 2015 at 07:19 PM.