Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

If these Brake Pads were the same money what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If these Brake Pads were the same money what would you choose?

There's only two choices here:

Stoptech Street performance
Hawk Ceramic

No other choices matter. If these two choices could be purchased for the exact same amount, which would you choose and why? I've read many threads here and on the Subaru forums but noobody compares these two. Many comparisons are made between the ST and HPS but not the ceramics. I assume it's because of the cost(?).

Putting cost aside and making the purchase equal which pad is better for DD and why? No track, no autoX, just street/highway driving.

Again, i've searched through many brake pad threads here and other sites so I don't need babysitting with the search button. Mitsubishi is replacing my rotors at 25K and I'm putting on new pads with them. Need to get them soon as the rotors have arrived.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, the stock pads are better than either of those two. If the decision is thus to stick with stock or downgrade to one of those...it isn't much of a decision, is it?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, grow a set of ***** and replace your own rotors. Yeah, I said it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:24 PM

Might I add for you... Mitsubishi is replacing my rotors under warranty. I'm not paying for them. Original brand new brembos going on the car at no cost to me. Add that one to your big ***** comment. If you've ever priced out oem pads you would know the cost. Best I've found is $280. Dealer wanted $400. Now answer the question. If you can't, go away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 06:03 AM
Former Sponsor

My cost for the OEM pads is $130 ($70 front, $60 rear). I just double-checked that, so pardon me for being confused about your choice to actually spend more for crappier pads. Might I suggest you look elsewhere for OEM pads?

But, I digress. The Stoptech pads, while still crappier than stock, are the better buy. They are almost exactly the same price as OEM, and you will notice (perhaps) slightly better performance out of them (when compared to the Hawk Ceramics).

Now, about my change your own rotors comment. Mitsubishi never offered to do ANYTHING for this car or any other that I have owned, back to the start of the new Millenium, under warranty outside of a recall. Hence my confusion regarding their agreement to change out your rotors for you under warranty. Since I don't understand their agreement to change rotors and not pads, as well, you can see where and how the assumption was made.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Nov 19, 2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Not worth getting another infraction
Old Nov 19, 2014, 06:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Check out rockauto.com and knsbrakes.com for "cheaper" pads.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:17 AM

I'm not above putting on the "right" pads. Sometimes it's just not feasible to pay 3-400$ for something when you can get abetter value for less. I'm not saying cheaper; there is a difference. Advance has a great deal right now bringing the hawk pads down to the ST price. Where are you finding OEM pads for $70 for the fronts?

I have a great relationship with my dealer. I might also add that I didn't purchase the car from them; they couldn't make the deal happen. I have had my rotors turned once, now they are being replaced, my AWC pump replaced, and my trunk lid repainted with new badges because of rust; all covered under warranty.

They have treated me very well and I show them a lot of respect for that.

The rotors on the car are half gone so I figured I would put on a new set of pads to fit the new rotors better. Is there any problem with leaving these pads on the new rotors or is it recommended to change pads out with the new rotors? I have a half worn down on all fours corners and am only looking to replace the fronts at teh moment.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I think you know the answer to that.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mrmcjay
Where are you finding OEM pads for $70 for the fronts?
Over the years, I have cultivated relationships with several dealers and manufacturers, which allows me to purchase pads of that shape and material at that cost. You have to realize that the front pad shape on the X is not unique to this vehicle. While Mitsubishi may charge an arm and a leg for these pads...GM does not (hint, hint). However, you have to be careful to scrutinize the material, as what is OEM for ACDelCo may not be OEM for Mitsubishi. The right part can be found, though.

I would advise against using Advance or Autozone type stores for a purchase of this kind. I have a commercial account with two or three of those stores, and they can't match the prices I find online even with steep discounts. If that is who you are using to quote prices for these pads, then I can definitely see where that $280 number is coming from.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would reccomend replacing the pads since you are going to be getting new rotors since the old pads already have grooves in them from the previous rotors so if you use them on your new rotors you will wear them out a little quicker and it will have an adverse effect on ur brand new rotors!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
You have to realize that the front pad shape on the X is not unique to this vehicle. While Mitsubishi may charge an arm and a leg for these pads...GM does not (hint, hint).
Nor does Hyundai
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:17 AM

I was planning on replacing the pads. That's why I started the thread. Advance sells the Hawk pads which I have read many reviews on. I only have a couple of days left on that, otherwise it's back to full price. I've also read many reviews on Stoptechs.

OEM were ebay for $2--.

I've also searched out pads for STi's for reviews on each. I cannot find out what the original OEM brembo pad is made out of.

You mention AC-Delco (most likely from Rockauto). Again though, i have not seen any reviews from other users and want to use something that is proven, not an experiment. This is why I compiled these two brands against each other. Price point they are very close, regardlless of what you find online. There is not a $100 difference between them as many might think at the moment.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Nah, I have no need to buy AcDelco parts from RockAuto.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:07 AM

I'm probably going to go with the hawk ceramics. Another dealership told me they use these on brake jobs.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
well the one nice thing about the ceramic is going to be low brake dust!

Quick Reply: If these Brake Pads were the same money what would you choose?