Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

wtf.. 4th gear grind

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf.. 4th gear grind

I've only had this damn car for like 3 weeks and its already giving me headaches. I can never buy a car that doesn't have a problem with it . You don't know how much it pisses me off when something happens.

This **** started happening today out of no where. Car has a little under 15k miles, original owner didnt abuse the car, I baby this damn car. I never launched it, I never redline it, I drive it like a little *****. So in the morning I noticed the 4th gear was acting up, OK, whatever I ignored it.

So tonight I'm going to the city to hit some place up, and I'm going through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, than I drop to 4th, and I hear an awful grind and it goes into gear. The car seems to grind in higher rpms, for example, shifting from 5th to 4th will grind depending on RPM, or if I'm going WOT through gears and I shift from 3rd to 4th it will grind.

I don't know at all. I just got the car out of the shop for a bad p/s pump and now this.

What do you guys think is going on? Fluids? Tranny?

As for the fluids do I have to jack the car up to get to it?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

did u buy it used??
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_ik
Car has a little under 15k miles, original owner didnt abuse the car, I baby this damn car.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:36 AM

Yep bought the car used.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:28 AM

sounds like the syncromesh rings from 3rd to 4th are worn.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

I am having the 4th to 5th grinding problem at high RPM's
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

I had a problem in my 03 going from second to third. When I took it in to the dealer I got very little feedback as they said they couldn't feel what I was talking about when they test drove it. I'd say take it in, see if they will make use of the warranty they brag about so much in their ads.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:23 AM

Ya I just hope they dont see the mods. The car looks stock, it might not feel stock.

But god damn man these cars are headaches. My friends mr2 hasnt had a problem since day one and that things at 200k miles. I'm at 15k and I just two things go wrong within 2 weeks. Unbelievable.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_ik
I've only had this damn car for like 3 weeks and its already giving me headaches. I can never buy a car that doesn't have a problem with it . You don't know how much it pisses me off when something happens.

This **** started happening today out of no where. Car has a little under 15k miles, original owner didnt abuse the car, I baby this damn car. I never launched it, I never redline it, I drive it like a little *****. So in the morning I noticed the 4th gear was acting up, OK, whatever I ignored it.

So tonight I'm going to the city to hit some place up, and I'm going through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, than I drop to 4th, and I hear an awful grind and it goes into gear. The car seems to grind in higher rpms, for example, shifting from 5th to 4th will grind depending on RPM, or if I'm going WOT through gears and I shift from 3rd to 4th it will grind.

I don't know at all. I just got the car out of the shop for a bad p/s pump and now this.

What do you guys think is going on? Fluids? Tranny?

As for the fluids do I have to jack the car up to get to it?
1st of all did you kow the first owner? If not then you really have no clue how they drove it. I would start by replacing the fluids. Do you know when they were last changed? I also have the 4th to 5th gear grind problems. I will be takig in my evo whenever I get the time.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

yes you will need to jack up the car to change out the fluids. you will also need a oil pump.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I also have the 4th to 5th gear grinding problem at higher RPMs, what should I do?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 07:34 PM

um....like lil'evil said change ur fluids and i can say i had the problem too but i got it fixed from dealer then i put in GM syncromesh works great no more grinds or anything... GL
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

On my 03 which I bought new I started having that same problem at around 5k miles. It started out a 4th to 5th gear grinding issue and became a 3rd to 4th to 5th gear problem. It also had something to do with what RPM I was at when I made the gear change. Anyway I took it to the dealership and they drove it and were able to observe the problem. They pulled the tranny and noticed the syncros were worn out. Then the service tech told me that there was a recall or service notice sent out about a bad lot of syncros that were manufactured to the wrong specs and ended up in our trannys. Long story short the dealer rebuilt the tranny with new gears and syncros and had the car back to me in about a week (It took 3 days just to get all the parts). I am currently at 22k miles and have not had anymore issues with the tranny.

Joe

Last edited by JCA1976; Mar 30, 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, there are alot of posts on the 4th to 5th grinding do a search and youll find the TSB on it. However put your car back to stock before you bring it in. Or find a really cool dealership. That is hard to do. They want to charge me for some labor because of the extra time it takes to remove aftermarket parts. ( intake, turboback exhaust, lower I/C pipe) I call B.S. I think aftermarket is easier to remove than the stock parts.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, I just called Mitsubishi in D.C. This is what they told me. Because the 4th to 5th gear grind dosent happen under normal driving conditions. They wont fix it just yet. If and when it gets worse they will fix it under warrenty. Right now it only happens when I wind the car out in 4th and then shift into 5th 80MPH give or take.

Quick Reply: wtf.. 4th gear grind