Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Several questions before buying a used Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several questions before buying a used Evo

Hey Guys

I posted here back about a year ago, ready to purchase the EVO, but that got put on the back burner for a while. Anyways, I'm now ready to buy, and plan on buying this weekend if everything checks out OK. I just have a few questions about buying the used 05 EVO I'm looking at.

1) Warranty. I don't plan on modding it at all, so I honestly don't think the warranty would be voided. My only question would be does the full warranty transfer over to a 2nd owner? The used EVO i'm looking at has only 1 previous owner. I know the 06' EVo's clearly state the first owner is 10/100k powertrain, and then 5/60k for all the subsequent owners. Does that apply for the 05 evo as well?

2) The car I'm looking into has 6100 miles on it. I know it's hard to judge, but can a car really be destroyed that bad in 6100 miles? The car was bought in October according to Carfax, so that's about 7 months. The carfax report is also totally clean.

3) Is a 6100 mile 05 Evo VIII with Sun/Sound/Leather package a good deal at $28k (probably with wiggle room on price)? I really wanted to get an 06 IX without the worry of a warranty, but the sticker price is easily over $35k with the options.

Any advice in this situation would be great and very much appreciated. I hope to become a much more frequent member in the coming days. Thanks guys
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The warranty reduction is the same for the 05, but is 5yr/60k really not long enough? By then, the car will be paid off and old anyway.

An 05 that has only been owned 7 months and has 6100 miles could be a red flag. Yes, it easily could have been thrashed in that amount of miles. The mileage isn't even the issue...it's what the guy (or gal) did during that 6100 miles. Drive 55mph in 5th gear on the highway every day or do 8 track events with 25-min hotlap sessions?

No, 28k for a used 05 is not a good deal. Also, an 06 IX does not cost 35k either. You can get a IX w/ssl for 31-32k at South Coast Mitsu, or you can get a IX w/o SSL for 29k or so. No way would I pay for an 05 that's over a year old now when I could get a brand new IX that's significantly faster and has a full warranty.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

1) Only partial warrantys are transfered, this can be found on Mitsu's website
2) Why are they gettting rid of it?
3) I'd push for $25k, but I'm a hard A$$.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

welcome back,

Hmmm...to answer your questions.
1. I'm not sure about the warranty, i would think that it's same but if someone else would chipped in, feel free.
2. take it for a test drive and see if there is anything wrong with it, anything can happen within 6100 miles but you can only tell if you take it for a test drive since the carfax report is clean.
3. 28k....it depends on what evos are available in your area, if you can afford to fly, southcoast has great prices on their IX's, i think it's under 32000 for one with ssl.
hope that helps.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Get the vin checked by mitsu to see if there are any warranty restrictions on the car. I'd buy the non SSL IX from south coast if I was you
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thats not a bad price, is that what they are asking? If so you could get that down another 2 grand if you really push and show it doesnt matter whether you buy from them or not and walk out if you have to?....I'd say if the car is in great shape and everything checks out and you can get him down and if you really want it, go for it man....

What kills me is everyone preaches how good the evo's hold the resale value? but yet when a used one pops up for sale at its retail value which this car is already priced lower than retail if its an ssl...People say no thats bad you can get new for that price in Cali....well sorry to say a car that holds its retail value doesnt drop in price all that much used from new especially under 10k miles......If you like the car just get it, if you can afford it and you want it and dont care if its not the latest and greatest evo out...Dont always listen to people on here, because in the end its yur decision anyway?...I know im happy with my 04, its an evo, it was affordable, and I love driving it....thats all I care about
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Travman, that's not a very good argument. You're basically telling people to go ahead and waste money because it's their decision anyway. Well, of course it's their decision, but it's also my decision if I want to buy a rusted, used lawnmower at a yard sale for $200 instead of a new one for $300 at Home Depot. Just because it's my decision doesn't mean it's a good one...
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:51 PM

The ad says the car is in "Showroom Condition"

Here is the complete listing for it..

Loaded, Every option possible, Showroom Condition, LOW LOW Miles, one owner, Momo steering Wheel. Enkei Wheels, Brembo Brakes, Infiniti Sound system with cd, 100% Original, Subaru STI EATER.....Remainder of full Factory Warranty.

Driver Air Bag; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Passenger Air Bag; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tilt Wheel;

Where is south coast mitsu?

The listed price is $27,995, so it would probably easily be wiggled down to $26,000 in my opinion, possibly even $25k. Also, its a dealership selling it and not a person (if that makes a difference? itd probably be harder to judge why the car is being sold from a dealership)

Last edited by Jamsan; Apr 11, 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Dude go to dealer classifieds and get a new one for $29000. The new Nine appears to have a lil more potential than its predecessor 8. Stock turbo running 11s with good tune and exhaust is hard to beat if u ever decide to mod. The resale value will also be better on the Nine. Yeah u will not Mod. That is what they all say until the Speed addiction takes over and makes u spend money on ur Evo much like a drug addict does on their drug of choice.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Being sold from a dealership means you'll just pay more than it's worth.

SC Mitsu is in CA, but it doesn't matter. People buy from all over the country and have it shipped or drive it cross-country. You need to fill out your profile so we know where you are located.

All those features are standard, so there's nothing special there. Showroom Condition is a way to get you in the door, and they probably detailed it to make it look great.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with Warrtalon on this one. Warrtalon u should see if u can convince Southcoast to offer ur Warrtalon Stage1 in the deal.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:26 PM

I'm in Connecticut, so Cali is kind of on the other side of the country.

Anyways, a co-worker with an Evo just took me for a spin in out, and by god was I amazed. The fastest car I was ever in was probably a 02 max with a 100 shot of nitrous, and this car was just amazingly faster. I definately won't need to mod for atleast 5 years if ever, before I get bored of it.

Anyways, I think I'll go down and take a look at the car on Saturday, and see if its worth it. I'll try to get some history on the car. Also, how would I go about seeing if its black listed by Mitsubishi warranty? Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, CT is far, but I already told you that people are doing it from all over the country. One guy is doing it from Canada. You just make the purchase and have it shipped. Very easy. If that's too much hassle, then good luck with your search to find a good used Evo.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:55 PM

How much would something like that cost to ship cross country?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

$700-1000

Quick Reply: Several questions before buying a used Evo