Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I want to buy a Evo 8/9, but can I afford the maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I want to buy a Evo 8/9, but can I afford the maintenance?

Going straight to the point lol. Im a poor dude making 1,300$ a month. I have enough cash to get me a used Evo but I'm afraid I won't be able to cover the monthly cost it takes to maintain the car. The lowest insurance rate I've got is 200$ a month from Geico, 2nd is Progressive at 220$. I do not pay rent, (and no I do not live with parents hehe) I have my sprint bill costing me 100$ a month. And college loans at 80$ a month and some other personal stuff... Leaving me at least 700$ a month to play around with. Can I survive?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of depends on the condition of the evo u find and what u pay for it... Also whether u like to eat or not.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4whlbst
Kind of depends on the condition of the evo u find and what u pay for it... Also whether u like to eat or not.
Oh yea, hahaa
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna be honest. It'll be difficult... Personally I spend $900 a month on just the payment, insurance, and gas for my Evo. That does not even touch maintenance costs, which seeing how it's a daily driver would probably average another $30-40 more a month.

It's not impossible, but you're going to be pretty strapped for cash every month for the duration of the loan, with no money for extras: mods, etc. and if any big repairs come up you're kinda SOL.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can't get gas, and food with $700 a month then you should check your priorities lol. The maintenance isn't bad. Its only the big things like timing belt that adds up fast but you don't do those for 60k miles at a time. Go for it man, you'll be fine.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yes just get a good one, usually not the lowest priced on cars.com. Take your time to find the right one, low owners and stock engine, not from a dealership. It's always nice to have a local reputable good tuner datalog beforehand to see how it's been running. That's what I'd do anyway

And change the engine oil every 3k miles-$40 (Mobile1+Bosch filter)
Trans 5k-$39 (Amsoil severe gear)
Tcase and rear end every 10-15k-$56 (Diaqueen)
Plus random things now and then.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazmunstr
if you can't get gas, and food with $700 a month then you should check your priorities lol. The maintenance isn't bad. Its only the big things like timing belt that adds up fast but you don't do those for 60k miles at a time. Go for it man, you'll be fine.
Yeah but u need to be realistic. He didn't say he had 700 to play with after an evo payment. And just playing around let's say a decent evo for 18 grand he would be looking at 300-400 a month depending on time and interest of the loan. Let's play it safe and assume 400 a month. Now I don't know about u but when I daily drove my evo it was 2 tanks of gas a week at roughly 50 bucks a tank. Now doing the math that's already 800 a month. Now what happens if u need oil or spark plugs, or something bigger that we all go thru like tires or a clutch, then what? And again, unless ur job is at burger king or somewhere else that ur stealing meals from, u still gotta eat. So to me 700 bucks is an unrealistic amount of money to have available for buying and owning an evo if ur on a fixed budget.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Youll be fine man just put aside a few bucks every week for the car so if something was suppose to happen you can have some cash layin around..also dont drive crazy or beat on it an youll be fine.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. Not trying to be harsh, but that's the reality of the situation.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the very diverse answers! I'll see what I'll do.. hmm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly in your current situation I would advise to stay away for now, why put yourself into a possible money rut if you do end up with a evo that is a maintenance *****? You could possibly suck yourself clean of money for what... a evo??? Its an epic car that is not worth taking a possible loss over. When money gets good, a evo will always be around and they will only get cheaper to boot. GL in your decision
Old Jul 3, 2012, 05:14 PM

get an evo!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
Honestly in your current situation I would advise to stay away for now, why put yourself into a possible money rut if you do end up with a evo that is a maintenance *****? You could possibly suck yourself clean of money for what... a evo??? Its an epic car that is not worth taking a possible loss over. When money gets good, a evo will always be around and they will only get cheaper to boot. GL in your decision
I disagree with them getting cheaper, I think this is the cheapest and as they get more and more rare, the value will go up. These cars will have many lives and every day/year more get totalled and winter/daily driven.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I didnt realize just how rare the evo 8/9 was... there really wasnt many made and like you said more and more each year are DEAD... I revoke my post about them coming down in price
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Jean Jeans,

If you're on the ropes as it is, you should buy a bicycle and work toward improving your income rather than increasing your expenses. Owning an Evo isn't going to open doors to a better job; probably just make it worse since you won't be able to afford to buy gas to drive to the interview.

I waited 9 years to buy my car, which I paid for in cash, and can upgrade as I wish. It's kinda just a lifestyle choice. I'm not trying to be negative, rather just share a life lesson that always running in the red will just leave you in the red.

Really it's sad that we don't get better money management training in public school.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a Evo 8/9, but can I afford the maintenance?