Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Headunit??????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head unit??????

Well, I have no clue about audio stuff but I want to get a new headunit!
I have a T451244 MTX 12 dual 4 ohm sub and a Thunder421D MTX Amplifier.
What Head unit shall I get???

Last edited by fborg; Oct 23, 2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

search around, there are as many opinions on this subject as possible. Stick with the big names, Pioneer, Eclipse, Apline, etc. and you can't go wrong. Go in to a high end stereo place and look at features and listen to a wide variety of HU's on the same speakers and pick the one that you like best.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I looked around... So it doesn't matter what kind of sub and amp I use?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:35 PM
Former Sponsor

dual 40? you mean dual 4 ohm? yeah... im guessing thats what you meant because that would work best with your mono amp. get an alpine deck. hands down best deck without breaking the bank on the exotic brands. i would recommend the 9831 or the 9833, depending on what price range your looking at. if those are to much look at the other models, they all feature many functions, but the sound quality is unmatched at that price range.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

all the amp cares about is a good clean signal from the HU and all the sub cares about is power from the amp.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys!
Old Oct 23, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Subs do matter quite a bit... as does everything else It totally depends if you want to set your system up for sound quality or just to be loud. Quality sound is expensive loud is cheaper. If you want loud then find a power house amp that puts out tons of watts and a large sub that is able to handle the amount of power your amp outputs.
If your like me and you would prefer quality sound then its more tricky than just runing lots of power. You need to make sure the box you use is the right size and that your wireing and connectors are really good quality because your system is only as good as the weakest link. Quality sound starts at the deck so get a good head unit (Clarion Eclipse Alpine) Monster makes great cables and RCA's speakers also make a huge difference in sound quality so get something that is able to handle the amount of power you send them and also has a good full sound I really like Focal, MB Quartz and Diamon Audio for speakers. As far as amps go Zapco makes the best around but they are expensive and hard to find JL Audio also makes really good amps and Subwoofers and I would highly recomend them as well.

Whatever your choice is make sure you really know what your doing or find someone who does when you install it because the small details make a big difference in the sound.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
Subs do matter quite a bit... as does everything else It totally depends if you want to set your system up for sound quality or just to be loud. Quality sound is expensive loud is cheaper. If you want loud then find a power house amp that puts out tons of watts and a large sub that is able to handle the amount of power your amp outputs.
If your like me and you would prefer quality sound then its more tricky than just runing lots of power. You need to make sure the box you use is the right size and that your wireing and connectors are really good quality because your system is only as good as the weakest link. Quality sound starts at the deck so get a good head unit (Clarion Eclipse Alpine) Monster makes great cables and RCA's speakers also make a huge difference in sound quality so get something that is able to handle the amount of power you send them and also has a good full sound I really like Focal, MB Quartz and Diamon Audio for speakers. As far as amps go Zapco makes the best around but they are expensive and hard to find JL Audio also makes really good amps and Subwoofers and I would highly recomend them as well.

Whatever your choice is make sure you really know what your doing or find someone who does when you install it because the small details make a big difference in the sound.
Interesting.... well, I def. want to have quality sound! I got those expensive "Monster" cables and a custom box. I'm not sure about my amp and sub, though! I went to Autobacs and asked for a good sub/amp (not too expensive) so they convinced me to go with that setup (hope it's not too bad).
I can't change it now but I don't want to go to Autobacs again and ask for a good HU; so that, they sell me the most expensive ****!
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Best Head units on the market right now are Eclipse, and Clarion. Alpine is ok but I have noticed a pretty big difference this year and Eclipse and Clarion have deffinately pulled ahead.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

All right, I did some research and decided to order that Alpine CDA-9831
from "HypAudio.com" for $286.55 (Retail Price US $400.00)
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

cool not a bad midrange deck hope the install goes well for ya.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

i have a high end clarion deck and it is for me to poop on. it doesn't have nearly as many features that the alpines have and i most definately will be going alpine next. as for eclipse, they used to have some kick *** stuff (also had an eclipse deck before) and they are going downhill as well. well maybe not downhill, just not progressing at the rate alpine is.

good choice with the 9831!!!! you will love it! make sure you take advantage of all the features it has. use the i-personalize online to tune the radio, it will make a difference. any questions about that just ask me. but i'm sure there are plently here that can help as well.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i have a high end clarion deck and it is for me to poop on. it doesn't have nearly as many features that the alpines have and i most definately will be going alpine next. as for eclipse, they used to have some kick *** stuff (also had an eclipse deck before) and they are going downhill as well. well maybe not downhill, just not progressing at the rate alpine is.

good choice with the 9831!!!! you will love it! make sure you take advantage of all the features it has. use the i-personalize online to tune the radio, it will make a difference. any questions about that just ask me. but i'm sure there are plently here that can help as well.
Sounds good!!!

All right, I didn't want to start a new thread but I want to buy new speakers too.
Do I have to keep something in mine, anything important?
One more time I ordered that Alpine 9831 and I have a T451244 MTX 12 dual 4 ohm sub and a Thunder421D MTX Amplifier! Or can someone recommend good speakers?
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:28 PM
Former Sponsor

someone recommended some good speakers earlier in this thread... focal, mb quart are two awsome speakers but aw$ome comes with a big $$$$. i have infinity kappa speakers and i think they are really nice. incredable highs, but a little lacking on the mid/low range IMO. but that can be remmedied with running a decent sized amp to them. i also think you will run into the problem with little mid/low end out of any 6.5 in speaker (some people will claim otherwise, but i have a very picky ear, and in the end it is always personal preference).
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
someone recommended some good speakers earlier in this thread... focal, mb quart are two awsome speakers but aw$ome comes with a big $$$$. i have infinity kappa speakers and i think they are really nice. incredable highs, but a little lacking on the mid/low range IMO. but that can be remmedied with running a decent sized amp to them. i also think you will run into the problem with little mid/low end out of any 6.5 in speaker (some people will claim otherwise, but i have a very picky ear, and in the end it is always personal preference).
I just don't want to destroy my stock speakers as soon as I turn up the music!

BTW: Would it make a big dif. when I get a second subwoofer?
(I searched and searched but couldn't find anything!)

Quick Reply: Headunit??????