Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

speakers/amp cutting out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speakers/amp cutting out

I installed a kicker 4channel amp last night to power my mb quart 6.5's.

My rear speakers are still powered by the head unit.

Anytime I hit a large bump, the amplified speakers cut out, while the ones powered by the headunit stay working.

I checked all the connections, and they're all tight. Any idea on what I could check next?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Did you check the connection to the battery and from the battery to the fuse holder! Some times it might be tight when you pull on it, but its not giving good contact and it might blow the fuse or melt like it did in a friend of mines car! Good Luck bro!!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:40 AM

Yeah, it's all good under the hood. Unless the internals of the breaker went bad..
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by neutral
Yeah, it's all good under the hood. Unless the internals of the breaker went bad..
You should check that! Is it a new amp or an old one and where in your car do you have the amp?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:49 AM

It's about 2 years old, I purchased it brandnew though. It is currently bolted down in the trunk.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by neutral
It's about 2 years old, I purchased it brandnew though. It is currently bolted down in the trunk.
It could be the internals are loose take it to a car stereo place and have them check it!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem sort of. it was a loose ground wire for the amp, it was not bolted down correctly.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:09 AM

That's what I was hoping, but my ground is bolted tighter than tight. Maybe I'll try moving it to another location.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

good luck bro, i'm having a major pain in the a$$ problem right now, it seems like (best buy) installed my radio incorrectly and it is shorting my electrical system, taking out my ABS and also my right parking lights. I'm fu(ked in the a$$, the car is at the dealer and i'm pretty sure its going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed, that is if they can even diagonose and find the problem.

so sad.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by nebolic
good luck bro, i'm having a major pain in the a$$ problem right now, it seems like (best buy) installed my radio incorrectly and it is shorting my electrical system, taking out my ABS and also my right parking lights. I'm fu(ked in the a$$, the car is at the dealer and i'm pretty sure its going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed, that is if they can even diagonose and find the problem.

so sad.
I'd contact the manager at the local best buy about this issue, and have that installer diagnose the problem. I thought all of their installers were mecp?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

apparently there were 5 people working on my car, and later i found out not all of them were certified. i've talked to the manager and basically i didnt get much out of it. my car is at the dealer right now and they're trying to figure it out. all in all, i've had extremely bad luck.

Now after talking with some people, they said that they dont even have a radio harness for an Evo so maybe they stuck a lancer one in there and its causing some shorts, or maybe the amp remote wire is plugged in wrong, could be many reasons, but as of right now, i dont have my Evo and i'm pissed as hell.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I had that same problem ended up just bein some stupid as connection inside my box, so after checking every inch of wire i just had to get a new spade connector
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by brentg07
I had that same problem ended up just bein some stupid as connection inside my box, so after checking every inch of wire i just had to get a new spade connector
I doubt that is the case on my end, but thanks for the input.

1. My speakers arn't in a box
2. Both cut out exactly at the same time, as if the amp is shutting off

Unfortunatley, I can't be in the trunk, to see if the amp shuts off, and drive at the same time.

Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

maybe you can replicate the problem by have your trunk open, have car turned on go outside the car and push down on the car and let go really fast see if that does it.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by nebolic
maybe you can replicate the problem by have your trunk open, have car turned on go outside the car and push down on the car and let go really fast see if that does it.

I tried it, but maybe if I get someone to push the front down, than I do the back, it'll simulate more of a bump? I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply: speakers/amp cutting out