Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

head swap: now won't start

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head swap: now won't start

here's the story. I'm not a newb to this major parts swap thing. I successfully swapped my stock IM for an IM that I ported. That included removing all of the fuel system components and reinstalling them on the new IM. I drove on that for about 6 weeks before I started this new project last weekend.

I ported my spare head and I installed the last parts for the head swap on Tuesday night.
The only problem that I had was some coolant spilling into the cylinders when the head came off. The stupid service manual's "coolant removal" basically says to remove the plug from the radiator. I drained the hoses, too, but I guess that wasn't enough. The coolant was only in the cylinder long enough for me to stuff a handful of paper shop towels in the cylinder.

No extra parts, no loose wires or misplaced vacuum hoses. The timing is good, and when the cam or crank (either) is turned by hand it keeps the same time. I turn the key and the starter turns the crank. The injectors click and I know there's fuel pressure in the line. I also took the plugs out last night and they were wet with fuel.

I think I've narrowed it down to either compression or spark. I'm going to get a compression gauge tonight and new plugs.

If it's NOT compression, what else might it be?
If I find low compression, should I use the "oil test" by putting some oil in the cylinder and re-testing compression to find out if the compression loss is through the rings?
how can I test the coilpacks? I can't believe that 2 sets of packs would be bad by now, but I'm willing to look at that option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Any BS "you're a retard and shouldn't be taking your engine apart" posts can just not bother posting.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

you're a retard and shouldn't be taking your engine apart

jk... only thing i could say is recheck your grounds you might have missed one. GL with it
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

easiest thing to check is spark, pull one of the plug wires off the plug, put a screw-driver in the end, hold the metal of the screwdriver about 1/4" away from a place with a good ground, and crank the engine, should see a spark jump across.

EDIT: oh yeah, make sure you aren't grounded to the engine or touching metal on the screwdriver, won't kill you but it is a nasty jolt
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What is it doing when you turn the key? Is the starter going? Is it even trying to kick over? Does it smell flooded (oh wait. im not sure if you can tell that with an ingected car)
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I presume it's the starter motor that's spinning the crank.... if it was flooded, we'll know tonight. I took the plugs out and left them out just in case that was what happened.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

defenetly do a compression check, if that's okay check the cam sensor, than check to see if you have spark w/the screwdriver like towardozrally said
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I would check the cam sensor, you might have install it backward. Gluck
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

You can't install the cam sensor backwards for one (I tried) and two, this cam came straight out of my old head and went into the ported head without being disassembled. Nice guess though

Sparks are good.
Fuel is there
Starter still spins (although I don't know how much longer the battery will last)

That being said, I've figured out the problem, now I need the solution. It's compression, or lack thereof. And the lack of compression comes from the intake side rocker arms compressing all the valves at the same time. I'm at a loss for how to get the arm tightened down without pressing down on all the valves...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Hold on lemme pic up the BAT phone... err BOE phone...
personally I dont know man but good luck and a bump so maybe someones experienced sees it
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

I'm messaged Boe, Hobie and Hardcoretuner (although the last time I PM'd him it took 3 weeks for a response... hmmm) As long as it's running by Sunday night, I don't care what has to happen.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

i say push start it .. its a manual, yes?
j/k
I'm not quite sure .. but I know you were anxious to get this mod done and get it tested. Best of luck and I hope things go well.

To what extent did you port the head? Did you maybe do some grinding that was excessive? If I had more knowledge of this kinda thing I could be more help. Best of luck kris.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

No, no grinding on the valve seat, I'd thought of that, too....
Push starting AKA compression starting would be impossible since I can't get compression in the cylinders

Hmm... Friday bump.

I really don't want to have to reinstall the stock head That's a helluva lotta work.... but at least she'd run, I guess...
Old Jan 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

the heading-home-hoping-someone-has-an-idea bump
Old Jan 7, 2005, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

[QUOTE=03RallyLancer]you're a retard and shouldn't be taking your engine apart

Simply put
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member