Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler

Has anyone tried it yet? any reviews? how is the sound? My catback is wicked loud and I my ears just can't take it anymore.

Last edited by blaze_125; Mar 9, 2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got pics? or a link?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=303
Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Which muffler do you have now? The Magnaflow one or another?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerMarita
Which muffler do you have now? The Magnaflow one or another?
Right now I have an OE fart canon. It sounds really freakin nice. Everybody that hears it tell me it's got a really nice sound, but we all agree it's nice but too loud.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

REsonator?

WADAD
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WADADLIG_OZ
REsonator?

WADAD
I been thinking about that too. But don't know what to go with.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

I had a cheapy resonator installed and it worked for me.

Highway drone is gone now and the car still has a nice deep tone when revved. I know cause the mechanic who rotated my tires the other day found it necessary to rev the engine a few times just to move it into the garage.

The exhaust sounded great from behind though.

Anyway just thought.

Only cost me 65 installed... for the 2.25 resonator.

WADAD
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have the magnaflow catback, and I added a 2nd resonator (also magnaflow). It helped, but maybe not as much as I had hoped. That's a little surprising because the resonator that comes with the catback seems kind of dinky. Ross at RIPP told me that Flowmaster resonators knocked down the most noise, but that was on a Tiburon.

Anyways, not sure that helps any, but just wanted to share
Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeemybo
I have the magnaflow catback, and I added a 2nd resonator (also magnaflow). It helped, but maybe not as much as I had hoped. That's a little surprising because the resonator that comes with the catback seems kind of dinky. Ross at RIPP told me that Flowmaster resonators knocked down the most noise, but that was on a Tiburon.

Anyways, not sure that helps any, but just wanted to share

Let me get this straight. I just had my MagnaFlow CatBack exhaust and HiFlow Cat installed. It's pretty damn loud to me, almost got that "ricey" sound you can say. So the the MagnaFlow CatBack I ordered from RRM comes with a small resonator? So instead of replacing it with a bigger one, I should just get a second one to lower the sound? If so, where should I get the second resonator from, any suggestions? Kteller.com?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PhonyEvo_1
Let me get this straight. I just had my MagnaFlow CatBack exhaust and HiFlow Cat installed. It's pretty damn loud to me, almost got that "ricey" sound you can say. So the the MagnaFlow CatBack I ordered from RRM comes with a small resonator? So instead of replacing it with a bigger one, I should just get a second one to lower the sound? If so, where should I get the second resonator from, any suggestions? Kteller.com?
Yeah there is a little 14" bubble behind the cat. I ended up calling Magnaflow directly, and they told me that a 2nd resonator would be better than replacing the first one with something bigger. I don't know how true this is. I ended up having another 14" one welded into the straight section right past the first bend (it's about 18"). I got a Magnapack resonator from hottexhaust.com. But I don't think it matters, although like I said there is a Flowmaster whisper-something resonator which is rumored to work very well.

The other information that I have is that apparently the Greddy evo1 catbacks came with an especially large resonator, and that seems to do better with noise supression than either the Magnaflow or evo2. So it may well be that the resonator that comes with Magnaflow is lousy and that you could replace it with a 22" one with a decent result. But unfortunately this is just speculation.

One other word of caution, the thing that really made things loud for me was the header, so if you have the stock exhaust manifold you might think about keeping it.

Jim
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. Now I just need to decide on either getting a second 14" 2.25" resonator or just replacing it with a bigger one... A tough decision I need to make soon.

Yaa, actually have the KamiKaze Header and DP, which probably contributed to the loud sound.... lol. I was actually debating on ordering either the RRM intake Manifold or PB ECU, another tough decision to make.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:36 AM

I got the Magnaflow Cat back and was unhappy with how loud it was as well. I just took out the little 4" resonator and put a Magnaflow 5"x8"x18" in its place. Now my car sounds more like my friend's '95 integra. It did a great job of killing the noise. I can barely hear the engine at idle and I get more road noise traveling on the highway than I get engine noise. I looked at trying to add a second resontaor, but I couldn't find a good place to fit one in. Maybe I was just trying to add one that was too big. The thing is that you won't knock down the volume much by putting in another 4"x11". You need to add something with body volume to knock down the sound on a straight through exhaust.
Old May 5, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krimson_binome
I got the Magnaflow Cat back and was unhappy with how loud it was as well. I just took out the little 4" resonator and put a Magnaflow 5"x8"x18" in its place. Now my car sounds more like my friend's '95 integra. It did a great job of killing the noise. I can barely hear the engine at idle and I get more road noise traveling on the highway than I get engine noise. I looked at trying to add a second resontaor, but I couldn't find a good place to fit one in. Maybe I was just trying to add one that was too big. The thing is that you won't knock down the volume much by putting in another 4"x11". You need to add something with body volume to knock down the sound on a straight through exhaust.

So you put an actual muffler on there? Any idea of how much it disrupts the flow? Sounds like a good idea, though, I might go that route.
Old May 5, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I got a huge Greddy resonator from rrm really cheap. PM rock and see if he has any left. also playing the with cats (header and highflow or test pipe) is really gonna change your sound

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler