Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Synthetic Oil Xperience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Oil Xperience

What's ur xperience on synthetic oils? or what brands u suggest for 02' Lancer (Cedia) ES/LS/Ralliart (CS6A)?

I use Eneos 5W-20 W/ K&N Oil File=ter.. So far no complaints and yes i do feel a pull going up hill W/ high revs..

Eneos
Royal Purple
Mobil-1
Valvevaline
Castrol
Red Line
Greddy
Lucas Oil
Quaker State
Pennzoil
ETC..
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
alot of the evo guys I heard use Mobil 1, so I just switched over to that and I heard that running synthetic oil on a turbo is bad unless im wrong someone please tell me I would like to go back to synthetic on my car.

But right now im running

mobil 1 10w-30 conventional oil
mobil 1 filter - probably the best filter because of the multi filter inside the canister
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Synthic oil is by far way better for your car especially if you have a turbo car.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven121
alot of the evo guys I heard use Mobil 1, so I just switched over to that and I heard that running synthetic oil on a turbo is bad unless im wrong someone please tell me I would like to go back to synthetic on my car.

But right now im running

mobil 1 filter - probably the best filter because of the multi filter inside the canister
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Mobil 1 being even close to the best filter.
They still use a synthetic/fiber mix which means it can and will break down over time and release debris into the oil.
This is true with K&N, Fram and any other that is not 100% synthetic media.

Royal Purple on the other hand; 100% full synthetic media.
All around a much better filter.
Can only be purchased at Pep Boy's right now (which sucks).
http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-oil-filter.html

We could argue mobil 1 vs. RP vs. etc as far as oil is concerned all day long.
One thing you can't argue against is 100% synthetic vs. mixed when it comes to filters.

I believe there are a few other high end companies offing 100% synthetic filters, seems like Red Line has one as well.

I do rec. using a full synthetic filter no matter what oil you use.
And if you can use synthetic oil without having much "burnoff" then by all means do!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the synthetic was bad for the feed/return lines for the turbos? I remember reading a thread a while back. I only remember to use regular oil when turboing our lancers.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakermeister
I thought the synthetic was bad for the feed/return lines for the turbos? I remember reading a thread a while back. I only remember to use regular oil when turboing our lancers.
Opposite synthetic wont clog or turn into varnish like normal petroleum based oils. Thats the whole reason its required in the evo is the turbo the rest of your motor would be fine on conventional.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roadspike, do you know if the mitsu oem oil filter is 100% synthetic media. is the oem actually made by mitsu or someone else? i am wondering if the royal purple filter is better than oem? i had read somewhere to stick with oem, even though i'm guessing they are more expensive. thx.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Summit1
roadspike, do you know if the mitsu oem oil filter is 100% synthetic media. is the oem actually made by mitsu or someone else? i am wondering if the royal purple filter is better than oem? i had read somewhere to stick with oem, even though i'm guessing they are more expensive. thx.
I'm not sure but if you want to based it off manufacturer claims the royal purple filter is on par with a standard Fram "Extra Gaurd" filter which traps 95% of contaminates at 20 microns which is smaller than the 25 micron test royal purple uses.

I'm an amsoil guy so I know they're products a little better the EA filter does 99% of contaminates down to 15 microns which is pretty small

I'm not really a royal purple fan as most of their advertising campaigns have struck me as gimmicky and from an engineering standpoint their choice of words reek of sales pitches which promise amazing results but with lack luster finishes.

In all honesty despite my adamant affection for amsoil products if you keep your oil changes to 5000 miles or less even the most economical oil filter will provide protection.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But right now im running

Just wanted to let you know that you have it mixed up, you DONT want to run non-synthetic oils on a turbocharged car, non synthetics cant handle the heat and abuse turbos put out
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

If this is true I will switch over when the new motor gets broken in
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Im switching to Mobile 1 synth 5w30 today with the OEM filter
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:04 PM

wow.. the outcomes on this thread is pretty good.. very statistics and detailed
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

well mitsukid tell me how that works out for you and I will swap over to synthetic
mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic with the mobil filter as well
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

well mitsukid tell me how that works out for you and I will swap over to synthetic
mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic with the mobil filter as well
No probs as far as i can tell!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

I switch between K&N and Mobil-1 Filters and Use 5w-30 Mobil-1. Runs Smooth.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Xperience