Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Question

I just got pulled over for my tint being too dark. I wasnt doing anything wrong accept my tint was too dark. He was a dick, i guess he was just in the check tint mood because he said he just caught someone with 3% tint. My question is can i get pulled over for just my tint. I heard that you couldn't get pulled over for tint alone but if you got pulled over for something else he could ding for it. Just wondering. I live in minnesota in case its different for different state.

Thanks
PS I know why people hate cops now, wow what a ****in dick!

PIGS!
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cops are cops. They can pull you over for anything.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I believe that in ALL states it is a none moving violation, so if he pulls you over for something else (say you were swerving in and out of traffic), he could not ticket you for that THEN check the tint and bust you for that one. I'm not sure what the tint laws are in Minnesota, but if it is noticeable tint difference, I'm sure he could justify it by calling it a hazard to others on the road (or something like that). Either way, it should just be a fix-it ticket. Find out for sure though, call or visit your local police station and act like a concerned citizen who's looking to obey the law and say that you are just checking.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

In Wyoming they can pull you over.. each state has their own legal limit on what your tint can be. In WY it's something ridiculous, like 35 in the front and 27 in the back.. I've had no problems with 20 (at least in Colorado anyways..) As long as they can see a sillouette through the window they dont care. If you had 3, i can see where the problem is. It's a mere "safety risk" to not be able to see the people in the car. It's just a bunch of crap.

If you see a cop on your tail, roll down your windows.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I guess in minnesota its 50% legal in the front. Not sure in the back. I just passed him and he turned around to get me.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:59 AM

Where i live you can get a waiver for tinted windows from the department of motor vehicle, but you have to get a doctor to fill it out stating your photosensitive and then take it back to dmv and then if cops stop you they cant do anything about it.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

well i live in IL and from what i've heard from everyone and friends being pulled over...i can get wahtever % on the back windows but the driver/passenger front windows can't have ANY tint...but i see people with tinted front windows...

yeah cops are dicks....i got pulled over for passing in a residential zone...he said 'u didn't use ur turn signal' and i did...cuz my girlfriend said she saw the front light blink cuz she was ahead of me i was passing some slow *** suv...than i did 40 when i passed him in a 30 mph zone so he got me for speeding to...it was gay...but iwas in my friends 94 4dr cav with loud exhaust and a wing lol
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Around here if you get pulled over for tint the cop will either
1.Take a key and slash across it(so youre forced to take it off sooner or later)
or
2.Hand you a knife and make you scrape it off right there on the road.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by arm07
1.Take a key and slash across it(so youre forced to take it off sooner or later)
or
Where do you live?

I know in my area it's 22% or up on front two, but none on the windsheild and as dark as you want on the back two with no less than 5% on the back window (silohette) At least that's what I've been told from a tinting place.

Fix It tickets basically run as: 1) you fix it, show pictures to the court and they waive it; 2) you pay the $80> fine and it doesn't go on your record (not a moving violation as mentioned above)
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:08 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

It might vary by state, but if it's something the cop can notice while driving around, then they have cause to cite you for just that. In Cali, you can't have ANY tint on the front side windows, although most people get away with about 50%. The basic law here states that you must be able to see the driver (for id purposes in hit and run... and someone said to see a driver's motions as a side benefit)
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by arm07
or
It may not supposed to be there in the first place but you could sue the police department for destruction of personal property if they slashed it. In california it IS illegal to have anything on the front windows, but it is only a fix it ticket and a $75 fine. My dad runs 20% in the back and 10% on the front on his truck and has had no problems despite putting nearly 200,000 miles since he got his truck in mid 2002. Its just not a high priority for cops. If you have tint on your front windows, just roll them down before the cop gets to your window and he will be none the wiser. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tunaman
A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
After working in retail, you'd realize how few people have any.

Why is the tint on your dad's truck darker in the front than back?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 05:36 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by Tanner65

After working in retail, you'd realize how few people have any.
I second that! As for me, I think I'm just gonna put 50% up front, and 35 or 25 in the back. So most people will see the darker rear windows and not notice the front tint.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

What % does the dealership usually put on?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

what a coincidence, i got pulle dover for tints and inspection sticker, but both will be dismissed, know the system my friends!

Quick Reply: Tint Question